An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Book Thread

Peace

Laudate_Dominum

The Autobiography of Dolph Lundgren, by Dolph Lundgren.

(I wish.. In fact just multiple tech/CS books at once. Solidarity with Era on that.)

MarysLittleFlower

I usually read several books at once. ;) recently I was reading the Precious Blood by Fr Faber and I love it. I'm hoping to pick up the Life of Mary as seen by the Mystics, compiled by Raphael Brown. Its excellent :D. I actually have difficulty reading heavy theology too. I mostly read spirituality or more inspirational books. I also have many questions on theology that I just don't understand, so I just resolve to "believe whatever the Church teaches". :P 

"Divine Intimacy": by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.

Pretty much blown away by it.  

Just looked it up... It seems like a great book! 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Shouldn't we have a thread where people post up what they are currently reading?

Why yes, Peace. That sounds like a great idea.

Right now I am reading a book called "The Cleaving of Christendom" by Warren H. Carroll.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cleaving-Christendom-1517-1661-History/dp/0931888751

It is a super interesting book about the reformation period, written from an unabashedly pro-Catholic perspective.

What are other folks reading - other than this forum?

Peace

Dr. Carroll, my old mentor . . .  May he rest in peace.

He was a good man, the founder of Christendom College, and a convert to the Faith.

The Cleaving is Book 4 in a six part series, which basically covers the history of the world from a Catholic perspective.  Unfortunately, he died before he could finish the series.  Volume 6, The Crisis of Christendom was finished by others, and basically cobbled together from various things he wrote (but is still interesting in it's own right.)  Dr. Carroll was in poor health during the later years of his life following his stroke.

Dr. Carroll, my old mentor . . .  May he rest in peace.

He was a good man, the founder of Christendom College, and a convert to the Faith.

The Cleaving is Book 4 in a six part series, which basically covers the history of the world from a Catholic perspective.  Unfortunately, he died before he could finish the series.  Volume 6, The Crisis of Christendom was finished by others, and basically cobbled together from various things he wrote (but is still interesting in it's own right.)  Dr. Carroll was in poor health during the later years of his life following his stroke.

Well there is finally something that we can agree on. Hell must be freezing over right now.

I actually went back and got the entire series. Look forward to making my way through it.

Edited by Peace

Well there is finally something that we can agree on. Hell must be freezing over right now.

Oh come now.  We both agreed that Reyb is nucking futs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading Game Of Thrones, A Dance with Dragons which is the fifth book in the series for those who don't know.  

Edited by xSilverPhinx

What do you think about it ? I was very disappointed by it. 

I'm reading three books currently. First, "The life of Ste Therese" by Guy Gaucher, o.c.d. it was sent to me by Charbel, from Phatmass, and I thank you again for your generosity, Charbel ! I'm reading it slowly, during my quiet time. 
Second book is for college, about religion in ancient Greece. I read it slowly but I'm not interested and have a big lack of motivation... 
And third book is by Jasper Fforde, First among Sequels, in the Thursday Next series. It's amazing, full of humor and literrary reference :D 

What do you think about it ? I was very disappointed by it. 

Was that question directed at me? I'll answer it anyways. :P

In general I'm liking it, even though it's nowhere near as good as the first book. I think the series is great since I particularly like medieval history and fantasy literature, and GoT is a fine mix of the two. Adding plenty of power grabs and intrigue to the mix makes it a real page turner. I know how it ends though, since I watched the TV series before finishing the book, which has slightly demotivated me to carry on reading it. Some part of me hopes that the ending is slightly different in the book for sympathy of a certain important character, but deep down I know those hopes are futile. :( 

I can't wait for the next book to be released, the TV series finished with such cliffhangers...   

All depends of the characters ! They made big changes on a character on the show... Big, cruel, change... But no spoiler... You can still hope ;) 

All depends of the characters ! They made big changes on a character on the show... Big, cruel, change... But no spoiler... You can still hope ;) 

Good to hear. :) 

The Three Msketeers by alexande Dumas.  Translated by Richard pevear

Great book. The Count of Monte Cristo is also a good read. 

Love it too. We had to read it in middle school. First I loved it because it was the first time I read something by a black/mixed-race author and was curious about it (I was 12/13), and then loved it because of the story. I wanted to be a mousquetaire so badly :D 

I finished my book on Ancien Greece. Still not interested.