An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Book Thread

Peace

Love it too. We had to read it in middle school. First I loved it because it was the first time I read something by a black/mixed-race author and was curious about it (I was 12/13), and then loved it because of the story. I wanted to be a mousquetaire so badly :D 

I finished my book on Ancien Greece. Still not interested. 

Dumas père is about the only author of the Romantic period that I can tolerate. I would have loved to read one of his books in middle school!

I like Ancient Greek history and mythology. :) What is your book about?  

I read a lot of different things, but I'm going to be reading A Little Princess and hopefully some lesser-known works of Jules Verne in the near future. Alexander Dumas is amazing!

Great book. The Count of Monte Cristo is also a good read. 

I read a lot of different things, but I'm going to be reading A Little Princess and hopefully some lesser-known works of Jules Verne in the near future. Alexander Dumas is amazing!

Warning: There is some language in this video

Edited by Charbel

Dumas père is about the only author of the Romantic period that I can tolerate. I would have loved to read one of his books in middle school!

I like Ancient Greek history and mythology. :) What is your book about?  

I'm not fond of the Romantic period too. British Romantic are okay, but nothing is more insufferable that Victor Hugo or Lamartine poems (for my taste ;) )

"Greek religion in the cities of the classical period" It's a book for students like me. We are studying Greek religion this semester (we have done the philosophical basis, Hésiode, and right now we are studying animal sacrifice). 

I just bought and finished Still Alice.  I'm doing my internship at an assisted living that focuses solely on memory care and my grandfather has Alzheimer's.  I watched the movie, but the book had much more information.

Before that, I was reading the 7th book in the Outlander series, but I was getting bored of that, so I decided to stop for a while and pick it up later.  I'm looking for a copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living with Alzheimer's and Other Dementias.  I started reading it at work one day while I was watching the desk and got hooked.

I finished reading Mary Was Her Life by Sr. Mary Pierre R.S.M. (highly recommend) and started Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the "Saint of Calcutta" by Mother Teresa. The back reads,

"If I ever become a Saint - I will surely be one of "darkness". I will continually be absent from Heaven - to light the light of those in darkness on earth." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

When I read fiction, I still need to finish the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. I only got to Queste, the fourth book but I've since forgotten everything and have to start over now. Luckily I've already read the first one, Magyk, twice so I can just start from the second book Flyte. They were great books, I don't know why I stopped reading them, other than the lame excuse "I got busy". Hopefully I'll finish them before the year ends or at least until February!

I just bought and finished Still Alice.  I'm doing my internship at an assisted living that focuses solely on memory care and my grandfather has Alzheimer's.  I watched the movie, but the book had much more information.

Before that, I was reading the 7th book in the Outlander series, but I was getting bored of that, so I decided to stop for a while and pick it up later.  I'm looking for a copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living with Alzheimer's and Other Dementias.  I started reading it at work one day while I was watching the desk and got hooked.

I used to love reading Chicken Soup for Little Souls even though I wasn't that little (literally) when I read it! The stories were short but had good morals, and they stuck with me for a long time. I haven't thought about that book for years. I bet I still have it somewhere! There are thousands of copies of the one you're talking about around online for cheap. Maybe you can get one there?

Im reading With God in Russia by Fr. Walter Ciszek SJ

Ive always been a fan of non fiction and adventure, and Jesuits, and good zealous Jesuit priests and and and......

:bible:

Reading a biography of the 19th century anarchist philosopher Mikhail Bakunin. Just finished a biography of St. Juan of the Cross.  And just picked up the Collected poems of Karol Wojtyla, an obscure Polish poet you've probably never heard of.:pope:

I'm not fond of the Romantic period too. British Romantic are okay, but nothing is more insufferable that Victor Hugo or Lamartine poems (for my taste ;) )

"Greek religion in the cities of the classical period" It's a book for students like me. We are studying Greek religion this semester (we have done the philosophical basis, Hésiode, and right now we are studying animal sacrifice). 

Have you read the Americans of the Romantic era? It was our finest hour. Hawthorne, Melville, Poe, Whitman.

Have you read the Americans of the Romantic era? It was our finest hour. Hawthorne, Melville, Poe, Whitman.

Yes yes yes ! I have a big love for american litterature. It's more "virile" and less effeminate than most of french litterature. The authors moane less about themself, and write more about... well, other people than themself. I've read Poe (I read Lovecraft, and he loved Poe), Hawthorne (The Scarlett letter, Young goodman Brown), Melville (Moby Dick - but I was a little young, I want to read it again now), but never Whitman. I will try for sure. My favorite classical american writers are Mark Twain, Poe, Lovecraft, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Hawthorne (and Stephen King, but it's less serious !). Also love the Missouri River Journal by Audubon, and the "Englishwoman in America" by Isabella Bird. 

Yes yes yes ! I have a big love for american litterature. It's more "virile" and less effeminate than most of french litterature. The authors moane less about themself, and write more about... well, other people than themself. I've read Poe (I read Lovecraft, and he loved Poe), Hawthorne (The Scarlett letter, Young goodman Brown), Melville (Moby Dick - but I was a little young, I want to read it again now), but never Whitman. I will try for sure. My favorite classical american writers are Mark Twain, Poe, Lovecraft, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Hawthorne (and Stephen King, but it's less serious !). Also love the Missouri River Journal by Audubon, and the "Englishwoman in America" by Isabella Bird. 

Moby Dick is amazing. It's one of those books they make Americans read in high school and completely kill it...but if you're lucky enough to discover it as an adult, you discover the American soul...and your own. They have a new movie coming out, lots of CGI.

Have you ever read Jack London? His "To Build A Fire" was chilling. You might like it, especially since you like Stephen King, but it's more survival/adventure than thriller. Love Mark Twain, one of my favorites is "Life on the Mississippi". I used to love anything and everything about steamboats (Steamboat Willie!) Have you a favorite Poe?

Credo in Deum

Im reading With God in Russia by Fr. Walter Ciszek SJ

Ive always been a fan of non fiction and adventure, and Jesuits, and good zealous Jesuit priests and and and......

:bible:

I'm reading this as well.  Half way through.

Oh yes, Jack London ! "Call of the Wild" was one of my favorite when I was young. I don't know To Build a fire, but it looks interesting ! 
I love Mark Twain, because when I was a kid, we had on TV "The adventures of Tom Sawyer" a japanese/american anime, and I was so fond of it. I remember the opening said : "Tom Sawyer is America, symbol of freedom, born on the bank of Mississipi, Tom Sawyer is a friend for all. Tom Sawyer is America, for those who love Truth. He knows the wonders of forest, the country lanes and rivers" I sang it 24 hours a day. My parents became crazy. Mark Twain makes me happy since this. 
 And my favorite Poe... I think it's "The Pit and the Pendulum" It's SO frightening. "The Black Cat", too. brrr. Do you have, too ? 

Ezra, I understand so much about how school can kill a book. A lot of American love the Misérable, when here everyone hate it because it's the boring book they make you read in high school. I'll try to see if I can find Moby Dick in english at the library. 

Jack London is fun to read, I also read "Call of the Wild" when I was a kid, and "White Fang". Never heard of "To Build a Fire", though. I shall have to look it up.