An Old School Catholic Message Board

Switchfoot

Dudette

Matthew Buchanan

I think calling them sellouts is a little strong and even judgemental. The christian element is all through their music. Just because it isn't "Jesus loves me yes I know", type of stuff doesn't make it bad or sold out. They make music for a living. Everyone has to have a job. They make great music to boot. Their music is colored by their faith, and hey, maybe even their love for surfing. Last time I checked, surfin' wasn't a sin. St. Francis said "preach often, if necessary, use words" Sometimes the best thing you can do with your faith is just be the best christian you can be without at whatever you do. Some feel led to music as ministry, like myself, but even I, want to write music all can relate to. We have to beware of the "leaven of the pharisees" when we look upon others. You see they like to be noticed when they fasted, and prayed in open for the attention of others. Maybe Mtv could use a fresh dose of clean music, and meanwhile, these guys will meet people they never would have met had they been categorized as christian music. Maybe their fans, as fans often do will take the time to learn about them, and in so learning, find faith alive in them. On my website there is a testify page. One fan of mine took the time to write her story there, and it is truly inspiring. She was a cradle catholic, that lost faith, and through some tough circumstances, and the music of none other than Switchfoot, she had a profound conversion experience that changed her life. Check it out [url="http://www.matthewbuchanan.com/testify.cfm"]"Her Story"[/url]

melporcristo

[quote name='Matthew Buchanan' date='Mar 4 2005, 09:33 PM'] I think calling them sellouts is a little strong and even judgemental. The christian element is all through their music. Just because it isn't "Jesus loves me yes I know", type of stuff doesn't make it bad or sold out. They make music for a living. Everyone has to have a job. They make great music to boot. Their music is colored by their faith, and hey, maybe even their love for surfing. Last time I checked, surfin' wasn't a sin. St. Francis said "preach often, if necessary, use words" Sometimes the best thing you can do with your faith is just be the best christian you can be without at whatever you do. Some feel led to music as ministry, like myself, but even I, want to write music all can relate to. We have to beware of the "leaven of the pharisees" when we look upon others. You see they like to be noticed when they fasted, and prayed in open for the attention of others. Maybe Mtv could use a fresh dose of clean music, and meanwhile, these guys will meet people they never would have met had they been categorized as christian music. Maybe their fans, as fans often do will take the time to learn about them, and in so learning, find faith alive in them. On my website there is a testify page. One fan of mine took the time to write her story there, and it is truly inspiring. She was a cradle catholic, that lost faith, and through some tough circumstances, and the music of none other than Switchfoot, she had a profound conversion experience that changed her life. Check it out [url="http://www.matthewbuchanan.com/testify.cfm"]"Her Story"[/url] [/quote]
Amen!! Couldn't have said any better!

Yayy for Christian music in the secular scene!
:)

<3 Mel

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Mar 7 2005, 02:35 PM'] I absolutely LOVE Switchfoot!!

...but thats just me!... ^_^ [/quote]
no way!! Me too!! I'm addicted to them..........!!!!!!!!!

:unsure:

Duc_In_Altum

Switchfoot does a good job at bridging the gap in the music scene. Rather than playing up this situation that Christian music is separate than the world, they inconspicuously penetrate the wall and sneak God in here and there. It's important to have some type of Christian witness on MTV. Let's face it, they wont be putting Matt Maher on there anytime soon. Don't get me wrong. I really like Maher's stuff, but to contrast, Maher's message would be a little hard for MTV to swallow. In order to penetrate the secular world with Christian outreach, we've got to meet them where they're at. The secular world is kinda like a sick child. It's only gonna swallow if it can't taste the medicine. You can water down medicine and still get the goods. I think Switchfoot does that. They're pretty darn good musically too.

namuste,

-Joe

RemnantRules

I would agree...when you go to their concerts they are awesome...even better I think than their DVD.