An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone considering Carmel?

Marieteresa

Hey folkies!
After trial and error I finally got the of Mothers 60th anniversary of her profession uploaded. Enjoy!

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/marieteresa79/Carmel1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/marieteresa79/Carmel.jpg[/img]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Those are beautiful! All of it! The Altar, the Grille, the Nuns! BEAUTIFUL! Is that going to be you one day you think?

Buffalo (the Carmel 5 minutes away from me) was founded by Grand Rapids (now Ada). That's where marieteresa applied... those altar linens and clothes look like they were done around the same time as ours- we were founded by the same Mothers.

How beautiful!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Oct 12 2005, 04:16 PM']hey Missy well I could find any  carmels in Chicago but I did locate one in IL.  It seems like a nice place...I did find an article and picture of a lady whom entered there when she was 50. I hope you get a chance to visit!

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

Discalced Carmelite Nuns    /C
1101 N. River Road
Des Plaines - ILLINOIS 60016
U.S.A.
  (847) 2984241

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/marieteresa79/ILCarmel.jpg[/img]
[right][snapback]756105[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
BTW, what does that [i]/C[/i] mean?

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 22 2005, 05:35 PM']Those are beautiful!  All of it!  The Altar, the Grille, the Nuns!  BEAUTIFUL!  Is that going to be you one day you think?
[right][snapback]767451[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know...Isn't it beautiful! I love the simplicity of everything. If it is the Lords will I pray that I will be there one day. Oh yeah the C/ I think it means contact or something.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa ^_^

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I will be visiting the Carmelites in Des Plaines on Nov. 5th for a few hours... Mother Marie Andrea didn't sound very happy when I spoke with her... I hope it wasn't something I said :(

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:15 PM']I will be visiting the Carmelites in Des Plaines on Nov. 5th for a few hours...  Mother Marie Andrea didn't sound very happy when I spoke with her...  I hope it wasn't something I said :(
[right][snapback]771474[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats wonderful your visit! What happened? What did you say?

In JMSt. Teresa

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I don't know, I just have a feeling I said something rude or something! Maybe it is just the way that she sounds over the phone... I can't remember saying anything offensive...

All For Jesus

Maybe she was just having a rough day :idontknow: Sometimes its hard to tell with phone conversations...you miss all the facial expressions and such that help you figure that stuff out...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah, I don't think she sounded unhappy, I relistened to her voice message she left me the first time, she didn't really sound too unhappy... but yeah, she may have been busy or something... Or perhaps she ran to answer to answer the phone :D:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:44 PM']Yeah, I don't think she sounded unhappy, I relistened to her voice message she left me the first time, she didn't really sound too unhappy...  but yeah, she may have been busy or something...  Or perhaps she ran to answer to answer the phone :D:
[right][snapback]771528[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hmm thats so interesting I have talked to alot of Rev. Mothers at various Carmels usually they are really happy to hear from people wanting to come and visit. Maybe she was really busy

In JMSt. Teresa

Guest ambrose

c/ means "care of" in postal language.

You probably caught her in an off moment. :(

I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I wonder if living a celibate and detached life bluntens one's social insticts. The intimacy of "worldly" relationships constantly challenges one's perceptions and desires. To live as a married person, or a sibling, daughter, son, parent is to live in the flux of negotiating how and why one communicates.

Withdrawal from the world is not always conducive to being a nice or charming person. That's okay, the way of the Cross isn't meant to be nice and charming all the time. I've known several nuns and sisters who have said terribly insensitive things to myself or others. I wonder if this lack of sensitivity comes from the restrictions placed on personal friendships within and outside of the convent. The grille, of course, is highly symbolic for a reason.

(mind you, I've known lovely, sensitive charming nuns and awful mean rude secular people so it is not the best theory!! its just that in the honeymoon period of early vocation discernment, the negative aspects of community life are seldom discussed. Nuns can be nasty people, the joyful-happy-go-lucky caricature of Hollywood nuns is pure myth!!).

I don't know how I started on this tangent. Forgive me!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I beg to differ! I am sure there are some older Sisters (Perhaps even younger ones too) that are a little 'crabby' from time to time, but Mother Abbess, Mother Vicaress, and the Novice Mistress, are all wonderfully ubeat and joyful people! I've met most of the novices, and they are so joyful as well! Sisters are not really happy-go-lucky, but rather joyful Brides of Christ, who trust in Him for their joy! :) I am sure that it may be with Mother Marie Andrea that she may not be entirely socialable or talkative. I definatly know what a conversation is like, because I tend to be that way a lot of the time. There are some Sisters who are not always so full of joy, but sometimes things just get really hard or difficult, so it is a definate challange to remain totally joyful all of the time.

All For Jesus

I tend to agree with FutureNunJMJ, the majority of nuns I have met are full of joy, and I think that is partially because they are living out their vocation.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:15 PM']I will be visiting the Carmelites in Des Plaines on Nov. 5th for a few hours...  Mother Marie Andrea didn't sound very happy when I spoke with her...  I hope it wasn't something I said :(
[right][snapback]771474[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I hope you have agreat time!!!! I'll be praying for you during a Evangeliztion congress that weekend, Bishop Jenky will be there all day, and I will be hearing tlaks from Fr. Stan from EWTN, I gotta meet him!!!! I attended the youht rally last yr which was going on at the Same time, but i am helping a relgiious SIster with her mission at the congress, In Bloomington!!!!! Well, anyways, if there was something wrong with Sister, it will show during the visit, trust me on that one!!!!!!!! Have agreat time and be yourself, they are discerning you as well!!!!