An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone considering Carmel?

Marieteresa

Photos from the damaged Jackson Mississippi and Covington Carmels
It looks like the Covington Carmel was severly damaged...I am wondering if they will be asking for help soon to rebuild.

[url="http://ettinger.net/carmelcov/hkatrina.html"]Covington Carmel[/url]

The only picture I found of the Mississippi Carmel was on a Discalced Carmlites blog.

[url="http://oklahomaocdsviewnewsl.blogspot.com/2005/09/katrina-hits-jackson-nuns-sr.html"]Mississippi Carmel[/url]

Please keep them in your prayers as they try to rebuild

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

Thank you for these sites, I had not realized the Covington Monastery was so badly hit. They certainly need our prayers.
Alicemary

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ambrose' date='Oct 27 2005, 10:27 AM'](mind you, I've known lovely, sensitive charming nuns and awful mean rude secular people so it is not the best theory!! its just that in the honeymoon period of early  vocation discernment,  the negative aspects of community life are seldom discussed. Nuns can be nasty people, the joyful-happy-go-lucky caricature of Hollywood nuns is pure myth!!).

I don't know how I started on this tangent. Forgive me!
[right][snapback]771807[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

NO AMBROSE you are right. Nuns are human. And they can be as "nasty" as the rest of us. I have had first hand experience of it.

There is no "magic wand." Who you are when you enter does not magically disappear. If you were rude before you will be rude after. You are going to have to work on it.

The reason I am addressing this is because the "myth" needs to be dealt with. While I am not trying to be "the bad guy" here those of you who are considering the religious life you need to understand what the life is and what it isn't.

It isn't an easy life, it isn't some place to hide because the "world scares you" or "someone hurt your feelings" or your parents have "guilted" you into entering or you don't think "anyone would ever marry you." There are some who haved entered for those reasons. Not everyone enters for the "right reason." Your reason may not be someone else's.

You will be sharing your life with HUMANS who laugh, love, eat and occasionally get sick, tired and or fluffy air extraction, argue and while they do love you are not necessarily going to agree with everything you say. Big :shock:

What it is, is a life filled with promise. You will be among some very dedicated people who struggle with who they are. Everyday is a new opportunity to serve. Some will do it well for that day, some not so well so they try again. BUT THEY ARE HUMAN.

No one floats, the work doesn't do itself. The food does not walk itself to the table. Physically, emotionally and spiritually you will be challenged in ways you never knew existed. Be ready to work or be ready to leave.

But yes, Priests, Monks, Nuns, Sisters, Deacons and all the rest of us struggle. We do the best we can day by day. We "fall down" and we get back up again. To think anything is else is just "foolishness."

Edited by ofpheritup

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Did I ever mention that Rev. Mother was a wonderful and joyfilled person when I visited? I know I briefly talked about the visit elsewhere...

• 1 month later...

hey folks,
Just wanted to know if anyone has contacted the Port Tobacco Carmel? They are in the process of building on to their existing monastery. I think they are the oldest Carmelite monastery in America (I could be wrong though)

In JMJ
[url="http://users.erols.com/carmel-of-port-tobacco/"]Port Tobacco Carmel[/url]

FutureScholastica

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 22 2005, 01:44 PM']NO AMBROSE you are right.  Nuns are human. And they can be as "nasty" as the rest of us.  I have had first hand experience of it.

There is no "magic wand."  Who you are when you enter does not magically disappear.  If you were rude before you will be rude after.  You are going to have to work on it.

The reason I am addressing this is because the  "myth" needs to be dealt with. While I am not trying to be "the bad guy" here  those of you who are considering the religious life you need to understand what the life is and what it isn't.

It isn't an easy life, it isn't some place to hide because the "world scares you" or "someone hurt your feelings" or your parents have "guilted" you into entering or you don't think "anyone would ever marry you."  There are some who haved entered for those reasons.  Not everyone enters for the "right reason." Your reason may not be someone else's.

You will be sharing your life with HUMANS who laugh, love, eat and occasionally get sick, tired and or fluffy air extraction, argue and while they do love you are not necessarily going to agree with everything you say.  Big  :shock:

What it is, is a life filled with promise. You will be among some very dedicated people  who struggle with who they are.  Everyday is a new opportunity to serve. Some will do it well for that day, some not so well so they try again.  BUT THEY ARE HUMAN.

No one floats, the work doesn't do itself. The food does not walk itself to the table.  Physically, emotionally and spiritually you will be challenged in ways you never knew existed. Be ready  to work or be ready to leave.

But yes, Priests, Monks, Nuns, Sisters, Deacons and all the rest of us struggle. We do the best we can day by day. We "fall down" and we get back up again.  To think anything is else is just "foolishness."
[right][snapback]797618[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know this post might be a little off topic and the reply a little bit late, but I just discovered this thread.
Anyhow, I've been thinking for quite some time about what ofpheritup is talking about. Trying to take off my rose tinted glasses has been a large part of my discernment process lately, as I tend to romantizise the religious life. It's not always easy, but I think it's important.
On that note I would like to recomend a novel. I can't remember the name of the author, but the title is "in this house of Brede". I know it takes place in a benedictine setting, but I think that what it has to say about this particular topic applies to all who live in a religious community, especially a cloistered one. Besides, it's a really good read :book: .

Pax

The author of [u]In This House of Brede[/u] is Rumer Godden. She also wrote another mystery set in a monastery called [u]Five For Sorrow, Ten For Joy[/u]. Both worth reading if you have an interest in religious life.

You know I actually thought about reading the house of Brede but decided not to after talking with Rev. Mother about various religious books that would be beneficial to my spiritual life.

IN this house of Brede is a wonderful book. It paints life in a Benedictine monastery so beautifully. You would be remiss not to have read it. I am not quite sure why your Reverend Mother would not allow it, and of course you will obey what she says...but for those that have not read it, please do so!

[quote name='alicemary' date='Jan 15 2006, 03:16 PM']IN this house of Brede is a wonderful book. It paints life in a Benedictine monastery so beautifully. You would be remiss not to have read it. I am not quite sure why your Reverend Mother would not allow it, and of course you will obey what she says...but for those that have not read it, please do so!
[right][snapback]856796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I just wondering isnt this the same book that is based on the movie that Gillian Anderson was in? I don't recall anything about monastic life in that movie

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:46 PM']The Carmelites (cloistered) with which I will be entering (God willing!) have an up to three month live in...then you return home for a short period, and return to the Monastery to officially begin your postulancy.
[right][snapback]774390[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Same with these Carmelites - [url="http://www.carmelites.org.nz"]Carmelite Monastery of St Thomas the Apostle[/url]

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Nov 29 2005, 10:55 AM']Just wondering what drew some of you to Carmelite spirituality.

In JMJ
[right][snapback]802898[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah! I'd be interested in peoples answers to this as well. I live fairly close to the above Monastery, and the Nuns are all so gorgeous. I'm not convinced it's for me. But I'd be really interested in hearing about your thoughts. :)

I can start, lol. I guess that the charism of Carmel is divine intimacy....the goal of union with the Alone. Being alone with the Alone. Just you and Jesus. Also, of course, they are pure contemplatives, so they are also pleading for the salvation of souls, and praying for priests to be more fully made in Christ's image.

Thoughts?

I am new here and have been reading some of these posts, because I too, thought for a long time I was called to Carmel. 12 years ago, I actually entered the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus (remained only as a postulant and left as I felt it wasn't my calling). I am still a 3rd order Carmelite (OCDS). I always thought I was called to Carmel as I'd read much of the Carmelite saints: Teresa of Avila, Teresa of the Andes, Mary Magdalene de Pazzi, etc. They all soooo resonated with me.

I stopped discerning for a while, obviously, and just in the past year or so, I've started again, feeling Him tug on me. I have written to MANY of the Carmels (Carmel, CA, Jefferson City, MO, Port Tobacco, MD, to name a few). The only two that really spoke to me, were Carmel CA, and Port Tobacco. I was supposed to visit both but wound up only visiting Carmel, CA. While there, I realized that there was adoration/exposition about 4-5 times a year for solemnities like Corpus Christi, Annunciation, and they also do First Friday Devotions, which many Carmels don't do.

I saw in an earlier post that most Carmels are still traditional, etc. That's NOT true at all. I would suggest for those who are interested, view this website: [url="http://www.baltimorecarmel.org/"]http://www.baltimorecarmel.org/[/url] then go to the 'carmelite families' link, then to 'women's communities'. Baltimore Carmel calls themselves progressive. They don't wear their habit, although some older nuns have kept a modified habit. There are several Carmels who now have very modified habits or not at all. So please be careful if you are looking for those traditional authentic Carmels who still wear the full habit and still have a traditional Carmelite horarium. There are several Carmels out there who haven't had a vocation in many years, another litmus test, I believe of those communities who are living faithful religious lives. (But not necessarily the case. . .I wrote to one Carmel and as I got to know them better, I was made aware that they'd had 3 deaths in one year and just didn't have the strength to also allow new vocations.)

I have met several Carmels who allow a live in situation if they and you feel called to make that step. It's not automatic.

I chose the PCPA (for a more detailed glimpse of THAT story, you can go to the PCPA post online here), for Eucharistic Adoration, and for the family atmosphere I saw there. There were a couple of Carmels that I visited, and while the monasteries were AMAZINGLY beautiful, I recognized. . .well, that they were a gathering of nuns, living on their own, but together, if that makes sense. Almost like hermits living together. Eremitical life DOES attract me, but I also believe that the family atmostphere I saw in the PCPA where I am entering (Portsmouth Ohio, one of Mother Angelica's monasteries. . .at least until there are 8 solemn professes sisters, it is still 'under' her) is a great balm for building up your vocation. Make sense or am I rambling? (by the way, for all those lovers of Carmelite. . .in the novitiate we will be reading Brother Lawrence and St John of the Cross, they have statues of St Therese and OL of Mt Carmel in the monastery, and I will be bringing one of St Teresa of Avila. .. and the library is chock full of Carmelite saints. So there is a big devotion there of Carmel, and as Mother said, "Carmelite saints are first and foremost Catholic. . .we are all invited to be devoted to them!"

Anyway, I have a lot of information on Carmel, so ask away if you'd like. . .here or PM and I will try to respond. Incidentally, in two weeks, I'm off for a weeks' vacation, then I have another 2 weeks of work, then I spend time with my family, finally entering on Divine Mercy Sunday, April 23!! So I have only a little time left here online. God be praised!

yours in Christ,

Denise