An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone considering Carmel?

Marieteresa

Hey folkies,
I am just wondering if anyone is considering Discalced Carmelites.....well I am torn between them and the PCPA's and I am thinking about doing an aspirancy, That is if Mother will allow it. Has anyone stayed a week or more at a Carmelite monastery? I just wanted to know how it was.

JMJ

daugher-of-Mary

Yes, I have stayed more than a week at a Carmelite Monastery (in the Extern quarters obviously!)...Holy Annunciation Monastery, Sugarloaf PA. I'll post about it a little later today! Right now I'm in the same boat you are...torn between the Poor Clares and Carmel. Whatever He Wills!

I'm mainly discerning Cistercian and Discalced Carmelite. I've always felt a strong attraction to Carmel, and I find the life to be one of great beauty, majesty, and simplicity. I'm curious as to what communities other Discalced Carmelite discerners have visited or have contacted, too.

daugher-of-Mary

Ok, here goes...

I first visited Carmel when I was 14 and had an overwhelming experience of the "Presence" of Christ among His Brides. I can't describe it. I've gone back many times since then (I'm now 17), and usually live and work with the Sisters for a week during the summer. I can't live inside the cloister, but Mother now permits me to work within the cloister grounds with the novitiate usually doing gardening. That's where I learned the proper method for using a pick-axe! hehe. God Willing, I will do their equivalent of an affiliate..a three month live-in for those who are very, very serious about entering when I finish highschool if I continue to discern God calling me to Carmel. The Carmelite spirituality is SOOOO beautiful. Has anyone else read anything by Bl. Elizabeth, St. Teresa of the Andes, or St. Edith Stein...our "modern" Carmelites? I could talk forever about the visits I've made at Holy Annunciation, so if you have any questions, ask away!

Many people I know are discerning the Carmelites, they are an order that has remained extremely faithful to the Church (the majority of Carmelite orders) and also has a number of very popular Saints. I have several friends discerning Carmelite. I visited the PCPA's in March and fell in love with them. If I was called to be a Cloistered Nun they would be my number one choice at this point in time. I also had a friend who entered Carmel, but discerned it wasn't God's will, but from all who have described Carmels; they are some of the most beautiful Monastaries in the world.
May Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament guide you to your order!
Pax~
Mary

Well I finally got an answer today whether or not I can go a do an aspirancy at the Carmelite Monastery.....Mother just called me to talk...She keeps saying WHY DONT YOU ENTER HERE!! Anyway she said it would be fine to come and stay a week outside the cloister with the externs. The carmel Iam interesting is in Parnell (Ada) Michigan. They founded the Buffalo, Traverse City as well as numerous other Carmels. I am just wondering for those whom visited a Carmel...What was your schedule like?

JMJ

[quote]Zabbazooey was thinking of the Carmelites of the Heart of Jesus, but they're not discalced (they can't be... they're apostolic). [/quote]

The Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus are discalced they are just not cloistered.
Discalced does not mean cloistered it means bare foot and was a reform of O Carm. If a community is discalced it means they follow the reform of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross.

I know it means barefoot. Are you telling me that these sisters don't wear shoes? That doesn't sound right. Can you explain a little bit? The reason I thought they couldn't be discalced is because with their work, it wouldn't make sense for them to go barefoot.

I'm discerning with the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles in Alhambra, CA...well actually I'm just discerning, but I'm investigating them (for lack of a better word). They're great! And they have beautiful habits. They're not cloistered though, I'm pretty sure.

You're right, they're not cloistered. They're teachers, from what I know. I met some of them in Alabama the day they were on Life on the Rock. They were so nice and seemed very holy.

Here ya go: [url="http://carmelitegeneralate.homestead.com/"]http://carmelitegeneralate.homestead.com/[/url]. [i]and[/i] there's a picture of Our Lady of Lourdes on the homepage ^_^
You might like this Order, Rach.

I'm in love!

I'm in loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!

They actually TEACH!!!!!

Not just a daycare.

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:love:

I can't stop raving!!!!!!! I haven't found any Carmelites that TEACH

SWEETNESS.

^_^

Seriously. I can't stop!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M ECSTATIC! I'M THRILLED!!!!!

I am so much more on fire that I remember in recent months.

This is wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Sorry all for ranting!!!! I LOVE THIS ORDER!!!!!!!! :love: