An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone considering Carmel?

Marieteresa

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:09 PM']I tend to agree with FutureNunJMJ, the majority of nuns I have met are full of joy, and I think that is partially because they are living out their vocation.
[right][snapback]771978[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

wow, I am seconding that! I have yet to met a Rev. Mother whom hasn't been happy to hear from those discerning. Most of the nuns I have met where full of joy and one could see there love for Jesus beaming through.

In JM ST. Teresa

I have to say that all of the nuns I met at the Carmelite convent were wonderful, joy-filled people. They all had different personalities, of course--I encountered the "spicy" feisty type as well as gentle, soft-spoken types, but I found that they were all awesome. It must come from being really happy with your vocation--their formation is so long that I suppose you have a lot of time to really figure out if this is where you belong, so those who are there do belong there. :D

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:27 PM']I have to say that all of the nuns I met at the Carmelite convent were wonderful, joy-filled people. They all had different personalities, of course--I encountered the "spicy" feisty type as well as gentle, soft-spoken types, but I found that they were all awesome. It must come from being really happy with your vocation--their formation is so long that I suppose you have a lot of time to really figure out if this is where you belong, so those who are there do belong there. :D
[right][snapback]772475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am really confused about their formation process....can you explain it to me? :)

It follows the general formation process, as far as I can see...but you're required to take a one- or two-year period called candidacy before you enter postulancy. This is basically living as a lay person while learning the practices, traditions, etc. of the Carmelites, while allowing the sisters to get to know you better. The candidates live at the medical house in Duarte, CA. After the period of candidacy, you are able to apply for postulancy.

Next is postulancy, for a year. They live in community with the sisters at the motherhouse and go under more rigorous formation. One postulant, though, was telling me how a lot of it is more mundane things that you learn (etiquette lessons and the like), and you don't really get into Carmelite spirituality or anything for a while.

The next step is the novitiate, for two years--the second-year novices go on missions (I'm not quite sure what that entails, but I think it has something to do with going to the various apostolates the order has and working there). I believe it's just a continuation of the postulancy, the difference being that you receive a religious name and a white veil. The postulants and the novices live together in the novitiate and work together, have recreation together, do spiritual readings together, etc. etc. I think they have lessons based on how far they are in their formation.

After the second year of the novitiate you become a temporary professed sister, and then I think it takes almost six more years or something to take perpetual vows. It's a really long process, I think longer than most. I think the total time spent up to perpetual vows, not counting the candidacy, is about 10 years. I could definitely be wrong about this, though, since this is a very glancing knowledge of formation. You'll probably want to ask Sr. Mary Scholastica for more information about it. :D

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 30 2005, 05:14 PM']I'm so happy they have that candidacy! It makes you really know what you are getting yourself into!
[right][snapback]774265[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey iam just wondering are we talking about active Carmelites here? I know that most of the cloisters don't have candidacy because they consider the postulate period the candidacy! I wish they had it though!!

In JM and St. Teresa

daugher-of-Mary

The Carmelites (cloistered) with which I will be entering (God willing!) have an up to three month live in...then you return home for a short period, and return to the Monastery to officially begin your postulancy.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:46 PM']The Carmelites (cloistered) with which I will be entering (God willing!) have an up to three month live in...then you return home for a short period, and return to the Monastery to officially begin your postulancy.
[right][snapback]774390[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which monastery will you be entering hon? Wow thats awesome I know a couple of places which dont have a live in. Are you going to be in the cloister? Because I know of many place which will not allow one to be in the cloister. I know Buffalo, Ada, Iron Mountain don't have a live in period.

In Jesus, Our blessed Mother and St. Teresa

I think there are quite a few Carmels that have you live in before...like Terre Haute, La Plata, and one in MIchigan but I don't remember the name.
All the Dominican cloisters have it obligatory.
I think Poor Clares have it but then you just stay on and become a Postulant.

I think someone on the phorum said that Lockport only has aspirancy if you are still in high school?/?

daugher-of-Mary

Holy Annunciation Monastery in Sugarloaf, PA!!

I'll have to put up some picture sometime, because they don't have a website!

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:44 AM']Holy Annunciation Monastery in Sugarloaf, PA!!

I'll have to put up some picture sometime, because they don't have a website!
[right][snapback]774698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Praise be Our Lord Jesus Christ!!
WOW thats so cool!! When is your entrance?? What drew you to them? I contacted them but never heard back. How many sisters in the community? Where were they founded from? I am sorry for all the questions I am just really happy to know that someone else is entering the Carmelite Cloister!!

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

daugher-of-Mary

Marie Teresa, sorry I missed you on AIM!!

I'm unsure yet when my entrance will be as I am struggling with somethings. lol. God's will be done!!!
There are 18 Sisters in the community (if I'm counting right!)...a few of them are here for formation, but will return to their native countries (India and Ukraine) after Profession.
The community was founded by M. Marija of the Holy Spirit and two other Sisters...all three were Latin Rite Nuns, but felt called to found an Eastern Rite Carmel. Along with the intentions of the salvation of souls and prayer for priests given to us by our very dear St. Teresa, the Sisters at Holy Annunciation have the added intention of praying for a heal in the rift between those in the East seperated from the authority of the Church and the West.
What drew me to them? Long story! lol. The short version is that I've felt called since before I was Catholic to become a Sister. When I finally turned my discernment over to God, He led me to the writings of St. Teresa...life changing! At the end of that summer, I made my first visit to Carmel (not thinking that I would like it at all!)...and well, you can imagine what happened! We have a Beloved full of surprises!
Pray for me, and know of my prayers, my Carmelite sister-to-be!

Hey i am just wondering has anyone heard anything about the Mississippi and Louisiana Carmels? I had heard that they were both damaged and I think that the probably had to leave. So does anyone have any updates?

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

Edited by Marieteresa