An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Not The Philosopher

(Re)reading Rudyard Kipling's [i]Jungle Books.[/i] My memory of it was pretty foggy (and I don't think I ever got through all of the stories on my first read-through way back in the day). But guys, this is already shooting up into at least my top five favourites. I should really read more Kipling...

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1344448462' post='2464556']
Exiles by Ron Hansen
[/quote]

I just finished that recently! Great read. I had not known much about Hopkins before reading it. I'd never read a Ron Hansen book either. I was really impressed with the way two stories were woven together in a comprehensive whole.

The Tortilla Curtain. Summer assignment. I hate it. Sexually explicit, cuss words galore, liberal logic, demonization of the rich. Did I mention I go to a Catholic school? I'm not reading this. I don't care how much this teacher hates me.

Anyway, I'm reading The Song at the Scaffold right now as well as The Spirit of the Liturgy. I'm in LOVE! Pope Benedict and Carmelite martyrs!!

Spem in alium

Letters from an Extreme Pilgrim: Reflections on Life, Love and the Soul.
The Secret Life of Houdini: America's First Superhero.
Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Taking another stab at Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St Faustina.
Just finished The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything.

I'm hoping to reread In this House of Brede soon too.

• 3 weeks later...

The Spiritual Combat

Author ; Dom Lorenzo Scupoli Trans. by William Lester, M.A. and Robert Mohan, M.A.

First published 1589

Favorite book of Saint Francis de Sales

Deep read about our spiritual battle, because we must admit we are worthless without our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• 3 weeks later...
Debra Little

The  book of Revelations.   Quite interesting.  I am enjoying it,.  Besides that I am reading, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence.  Very good book and I am sure will be a helpful one.  I want to learn how to keep His presence with me at all times.  I want to learn how to meditate but am not quite sure how

to go about it.   Anyone able to help?  

• 2 weeks later...
I'm plodding through The Imitation of Christ and am enjoying it immensely.

my favorite

Just purchased "The Spiritual Combat" for Kindle