An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Blessed&Grateful

Song of the Sparrow, Murray Bodo, OFM

Since I have a Franciscan heart I find most of his work enlightening and inspiring.

LaPetiteSoeur

Finished Peace be with you (it's EXCELLENT!!!)

Started (and only 50 pages to go) in [i]A Broken and Mended Heart[/i] about St. Francis of Assisi. It's rather good. Not the best biography, but not bad.

• 4 weeks later...

[i]Discerning the Will of God[/i], by Fr. Timothy Gallagher, which is an excellent book on discernment. When I am done in a few days I will read [i]The Imitation of Christ[/i].

"Boundaries" by Townsend and Cloud. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who comes from any sort of remotely dysfunctional family like I did.

On my vacation/retreat, I picked up a bunch of great books I've yet to start reading.......

**Time for God -- Jacques Philippe

**Conversation with Christ -- Peter Thomas Rohrbach (A teaching of St. Theresa of Avila about personal prayer)

**Prayer: The Great Conversation -- Peter Kreeft (this book is a gift from a friend)

I just flipped through the first two books and I was hooked. They look great and simply written.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Nola Seminarian

Right now im reading "Jesus of Nazareth" by il Papa. i just got finished reading "Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist" by Dr. Brant Pitre.

• 2 weeks later...
Blessed&Grateful

Song of Sparrows, Father Murray Bodo, it's a wonderful book, and inspires me endlessly.

Last night I read a section on Prayer he uses the SPORT mnemonic. Silence, Purification, Oneness, Response, Talk. They are steps to a way of prayer, very helpful and help I needed badly.

I belivee God put this book in my hands as a response to my asking for help tackling some problems that were blocking me from being open to Him.

I'm now reading the Life Story of St Mary MacKillop written by the priest involved in her canonization. Mary MacKillops has my head in a spin with her almost frantic life of activity and travel - under God's Will I know, but frantic to such as I nevertheless. I absolutely love her spirituality however, Also "Your Sorrow is My Sorrow" (Joyce Rupp) about the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady (given to me by my director). Excellent book! I have really taken to the way that the author builds a story around each of the Sorrows and a way I like to meditate on the Life of Christ and all in the New Testament as particular stories arise, sometimes in the Old Testament as well. It makes the stories really come alive with freshness and newness for me.

Sadly, only Terence in the original Latin and Plato in the original Greek right now. Can't wait for finals to be done so I can read the newest Michael O'Brien book and not have to feel guilty that I'm reading something in English.