An Old School Catholic Message Board

Metalheads..

frozencell

huh i used "awesome" four times in that post.

what is your favorite sub genre of metal? ie) thrash, death, progressive, etc

what exactly is death? Is that just the dark slower stuff? and is progressive just the newer stuff that has some screaming in it?

I like thrash, especially when it mixes the old with the new, like in Trivium

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1149880' date='Dec 26 2006, 02:20 PM']
huh i used "awesome" four times in that post.
[/quote]

no it was 'amazing' :lol:

Edited by Didymus

[quote name='Didymus' post='1149961' date='Dec 26 2006, 02:50 PM']
what exactly is death? Is that just the dark slower stuff? and is progressive just the newer stuff that has some screaming in it?

I like thrash, especially when it mixes the old with the new, like in Trivium
no it was 'amazing' :lol:
[/quote]

by gum, so i did!!

man im not entirely sure on the zillion metal subgenres but...

death: super dark, low tuned, fast stuff with the growling voice(not my cup of tea but some like it and it takes talent to play) tends to scare people not really into metal eg, nile, CC

doom, funeral, etc: dark slow stuff with normal singing i think
check out electric wizard, they are very good, like sabbath but slower and heavier

progressive: very musically talented, normal but impressive singing, drums guitar,etc. normally not too heavy but fast and technical, check out dream theater

metalcore: screaming lyrics (i dont really like that much, trivium is alright until the singing comes in)

Edited by Jesus_lol

Yeah, the Trivium screaming is particularly obnoxious sometimes. I myself have been listening to alot of the old metallica. I wanted to hear more thrash so I'm starting with 'kill em all' and when I finish metallica Ill prolly work my way into Megadeth.

I'd like to get some Pantera too cuz I like darrel's guitar playing, but I dont think I like phil anselmo much. He's so rediculously vulgar.

xTrishaxLynnx

Yeesh! Where are the metalheads?... Has nobody listened? Or did you all just hate it too bad to comment on it. :unsure: :P:

[quote name='Didymus' post='1152255' date='Dec 31 2006, 05:20 AM']
Yeah, the Trivium screaming is particularly obnoxious sometimes. I myself have been listening to alot of the old metallica. I wanted to hear more thrash so I'm starting with 'kill em all' and when I finish metallica Ill prolly work my way into Megadeth.
[/quote]Well, Trivium sounds a lot like 80's Metallica now, not much screaming anymore I think, mostly singing.

Soul Embraced posted two demos on their Myspace page: [url="http://www.myspace.com/soulembraced"]http://www.myspace.com/soulembraced[/url]

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1153372' date='Jan 1 2007, 04:38 PM']
Yeesh! Where are the metalheads?... Has nobody listened? Or did you all just hate it too bad to comment on it. :unsure: :P:
[/quote]I haven't listened much to Narnia, but they're okay I guess.
There are also tons of Catholic power/progressive metal bands, if you like that sort of metal, Eterna, Uniao, Apocalipse Prophecy, Fides, Oraculo. I only really like Eterna and Uniao though.

ok so the new metallica stuff is actually growing on me.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=fZi15-Ke5xs&mode=related&search="]New Song[/url]

This link is when they played it in Berlin in June. Hetfield seems to just have trouble singin this one. I like the song, I just hope his voice comes back a little for the album.

The Other New song Im really startin to like too.

BTW, just a question of preference for you all. On bass, do you prefer Jason or Rob? I didnt like Jason very much. I just dont feel he was ever suppose to be part of Metallica. I like Trujillo though.
Neither beats Cliff of course, cuz he gave us Pulling Teeth.
RIP

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Didymus' post='1154390' date='Jan 2 2007, 01:33 AM']

BTW, just a question of preference for you all. On bass, do you prefer Jason or Rob? I didnt like Jason very much. I just dont feel he was ever suppose to be part of Metallica. I like Trujillo though.
Neither beats Cliff of course, cuz he gave us Pulling Teeth.
RIP
[/quote]

Cliff was amazing.

You really didn't like Jason? I was actually pretty upset when he left.

Just found this on Wikipedia:

[quote]Burton's death left the band's future in doubt. The three remaining members decided that the bassist would want them to carry on; with the Burton family's blessings the band sought a replacement and began auditions almost immediately. Among the auditioners was future Primus bassist Les Claypool, a childhood friend of Hammett's. The band liked Claypool but felt his style was "too funky." [/quote]

I think Claypool + Metallica would be something pretty cool to see... maybe not as an official band member but it would, at the very least, be entertaining to see them on stage together. :lol:

yeah, vh1 interviewed claypool for the metallica vh1 thing. Hetfield was like, "Yeah, Claypool was kinda just too good for us..."

xTrishaxLynnx

Claypool is hilarious... oh and he's[i] [font="Times New Roman"]pretty good [/font] [/i] with a bass. :P:

Anyone listen to Primus at all?

Or any of Claypool's other stuff?

[quote name='Didymus' post='1154390' date='Jan 2 2007, 01:33 AM']
ok so the new metallica stuff is actually growing on me.
The Other New song Im really startin to like too.
[/quote]

:D:

[quote name='Didymus' post='1154595' date='Jan 2 2007, 11:11 AM']
yeah, vh1 interviewed claypool for the metallica vh1 thing. Hetfield was like, "Yeah, Claypool was kinda just too good for us..."
[/quote]

that was their documentary, Some Kind of Monster. Rob was the right choice.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1154734' date='Jan 2 2007, 04:05 PM']
does anyone know if metallica has done Pulling Teeth live since Burton?

I would like to hear Newsted or Trujillo play it.
[/quote]

They havent played it live since. They finally played orion in full this summer at every gig.