An Old School Catholic Message Board

Speeding A Sin?!?!

LivinTabernacle

LivinTabernacle

Okay, lets say you're rolling along the road at 50 and the speed limit is 45, so technically you are breaking the law by going faster than the limit. But doesn't the Church say to obey all lawful, earthly authority that doesn't interfere with God?Hmmmm.

Edited by LivinTabernacle

yes.

however...

1. we don't have automated cruise control to keep our vehicles at an exact speed;

2. we rely instead on our feet to control gas output - w/ variations in terrain [ eg, hills]; traffic lights, etc; or even our moods, tension on the road, many variables to hinder an exact speed

3. the real danger of not keeping up w/ the flow of traffic, either because of accident danger or being shot by someone...

these are all legit reasons why' breaking' the speed limit is not sinful.

this is my own opinion.

Well, if you're late for mass, then speeding would be for the greater moral good, so in that case, it wouldn't be a sin. hahaha

But for just casual speeding... technically, yes, I suppose it would be a sin. I would say the gravity of that sin is very low on the scale. Nothing I would bother mentioning in confession anyway--unless the severity of your wreckless driving is putting people's lives in danger, you acknowledge this, and continue anyway. In that case, it would be a more serious sin, I think.

Well, being a member of a Christian sportbike (i.e., crotch rocket) group, this is one of the questions that naturally comes up in our forums from time to time . The best attitude I've heard is this:

"Let he who has no sin cast the first stone".

Notice that I'm not picking up any rocks!!!

cmotherofpirl

Welcome to phatmass.

There is a check in thread where you can introduce yourself.

Enjoy.

Speeding can certainly be sinful, but not speeding can be deadly. It's a public safety law. When it's safer to speed, speed. When it's not, don't.

All traffic laws can be safely broken in certain circumstances. Running red lights, rolling stops, illegal turns, etcetera.

IXpenguin21

i forget from where, but i have heard from a member of the church (like a bishop), that if you accidentaly hit someone with your car and you're doing the speed limit, you are not at fault for killing them. though, if through your love of speed, you hit someone while exceeding the speed limit and kill them, you have a mortal sin on your hands. i agree with this view. it's like playing with fire. if traffic is moving 5-15 mph over the speed limit, then i think it's safer to stay with them, but if it's just you on a side street and you're doing 50 in a 30... your soul, and other's lives are hanging in the balance of how fast you think you should be alowed to go.

...and i'm not throwing any stones either. ;)

Merely breaking a law and it resulting in death or injury does not a mortal sin make.

Of all the unsafe driving acts, speeding gets the most play, but in my experience, tailgating causes more accidents than speeding. Running stop signs and red lights is also significant.

cmotherofpirl

When we drove from Pgh to Houston for Thanksgiving the average speed on the interstates (other than traffic jams) was about 85 miles per hour. We were not in the fast lane either. THe only place we went slower was WV because it is all moderate curves, few lights, and mountains.

If we had gone the speed limit we would have been run over.

The Shover Robot

So I guess technically all those unpaid parking tickets a person accumulates over the course of their life end up as time in purgation.

They should add a tag line on tickets: "Failure to pay this ticket may endanger your mortal soul or add time to your lengthening purgation."

littleflower+JMJ

footnote on the ticket (in very small font): sinners will be punished...

you have to be careful shover, all those parking tickets might come back and haunt ya!

lol_grin.gif:unsure::wacko: :ph34r:

LivinTabernacle

'preesh. But i think you guys are missing something. True. it's not going to be a mortal sin(3 things ahve to be present for that, grave in nature, full consent and knowledge that it is wrong) but what i'm saying is, is it a sin?As much as i hate to say it, i think it is a sin. What makes it worse is that some of us here do think it is a sin, but deny the fact that it is a sin worth confessing. Now it gets really interesting. Think about, if it's a sin, it's a sin. No matter how small a matter it is, it's still something that is keeping us from getting closer to the grace of God. And not to call out the guy that did this, but to say that if you commit a sin but it's "too small to bring to confession" would not confessing a sin for a long period of time while continuing to commit that sin, make it more and more grave by the simple fact that not only are you sinning, which every human does, but also you're continuing to commit that same act over and over again, making it more and more grave?

I'm definitely not standing on a soapbow on this issue, i'm just wondering what everyone thinks about it, and maybe get some guidance on this. I bring this all up after a conversation with my priest whom, to put it midly, is very conservative. Anywho, thoughts, suggestions...(sorry for any typos, just woke up and no contacts in, good combo :P )

cmotherofpirl

If you are deliberately speeding, you know its wrong, and somebody could be injured or die as a result of your speeding, and there are no extenuating circumstances, yes it is a sin.

But if you are rushing to the hospital all bets are off.

LivinTabernacle

what i'm talking about is going with the flow of traffic, 5 over the limit.

And what you're saying is that the ends justify the means. What if going full blast to that hospital you hit someone from behind, causing that person to be paralyzed for the rest of their life, all because you wanted a baby to be born in a hospital instead of in a car, which happens all the time and in this case probably will happen again. Bad example i'm sure, but still, justifying the the fact that you're sinning for some other good when you can still avoid sinning, just doesn't really seem to fly with me.