An Old School Catholic Message Board

Game On, Hockey Fans

Ash Wednesday

Our Oilers didn't make it this year. We live two blocks from the stadium, so I guess no naked drunks in the alley this year.

JP2Iloveyou

I'm a huge Pens fan (and a huge Pirates fan) even though I've never lived anywhere near Pittsburgh. Anyway, I really wanted to watch the game, but because of where I live, I won't get to see the Pens on T.V. until the Finals, if they get that far.

The Pens definitely have the most talented forwards in the playoffs. I mean, seriously, Sykora-Malkin-Malone is your SECOND line? Are you kidding me? And their power play, wow. Just wow. Crosby, Malone, and Hossa, with Malkin or Letang plus Gonchar on the points. The one area of the Pens' game that concerns me a little bit is defense. I am still not sold on Fleury, although he has been lights out the last few weeks. They also are a little small at defensman with the exception of Orpik and Gill. They just don't have a big guy who can get in there and really bang in front of the net. Aside from Crosby, we don't really have a good defensive center, although Jordan Staal is becoming one. Penalty kill could also be a concern. This is one area where Hossa can be a big help. He as a great penalty killer with Atlanta.

Anyway, great win tonight. Good way to start the playoffs. We have to keep it up in Game 2 though. I don't want to get into a long series needing a win in Ottawa to stay alive.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='XIX' post='1496041' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:45 PM']Sharks over the Rangers in five.[/quote]

Not the way the played tonight against Calgary!

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1496092' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:59 PM']My allegiance...
[img]http://www.teamtraveler.com/images/Hockey/philadelphia_flyers_1996.gif[/img]
:cool:[/quote]

:ohno:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' post='1496137' date='Apr 10 2008, 01:11 AM']We have to keep it up in Game 2 though. I don't want to get into a long series needing a win in Ottawa to stay alive.[/quote]

Agreed. They can't take anything for granted. Maybe someone can verify this in Pittsburgh, but I hear that for pre-game rituals, Gary has been known to eat a whole family of five.

JP2Iloveyou

I was kind of surprised to see that Therien scratched Sydor tonight. I was expecting Letang to be scratched. It's got to be a tough decision when we have seven good defensemen. Gonchar will definitely dress, Letang has a right-handed shot, which can't be undervalued, Orpik is really our only physical defender, Whitney, in my opinion, might be the most skilled defender we have, Scuderi I don't really know much about, and they wouldn't trade for Gill and then not play him, so I guess Sydor was the odd man out.

I also wonder how much influence that idiot reporter in Ottawa had on whether or not to play Laroque. I was also expecting him to be scratched, but when you have a reporter openly suggesting to try to injure your opponent, you better have your enforcer ready to go.

Edited by JP2Iloveyou

Ash Wednesday

Whitney won a fight today. :hehe:

And yes, that Ottawa article really was out of line. :maddest:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

God Conquers

Hey NOW! Don't count us OUT!!!!

With three of the best and hardest working players out of the line-up, you pens have it easy for now... but you better believe if we catch a spark and go long into this series it's gonna get SERIOUS!

[img]http://media.canada.com/9c644d4d-79fd-4ef5-8bd3-c4933500492a/elgin052207.jpg[/img]

JP2Iloveyou

I agree. That's why I want Pittsburgh to take care of business tomorrow, steal one of Games 3 and 4 in Ottawa, and wrap it up in 5. You guys better have your defense ready though. I think you're going to see Crosby and Hossa light it up quite a few times before this series is over. As much as I liked Armstrong and Christiansen, they didn't provide what Hossa does, a dependable scoring winger. That's something that Crosby has never had, and he still managed to lead the league in scoring last year. Remember, Crosby is not the goal scorer that Ovechkin or even Malkin is. He looks to pass first. Armstrong is a good player, but there were quite a few times he didn't finish what Sid started. Hossa will finish.

My team:

[img]http://shop.canadiens.nhl.com/img/nhl/catalog/p3157634reg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bilan.usherbrooke.ca/voutes/voute/xii-6-1.jpg[/img]

[size=7][color="#8B0000"][b]May the Rocket forever haunt us![/b][/color][/size]

[img]http://www.fanatique.ca/images/_profils/bg/47_maurice_en_geu.jpg[/img]

Ash Wednesday

Watch what you say about the Pens. Scary Gary will come to your house and eat you for dessert. :evil:

P.S. I love Maurice Richard. He was also a devout Catholic.