An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin's Shopping Spree

BG45

[url="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html"]Remember the big whining over John Edwards' $400 haircut paid for by money his campaign raised? Palin has outdone that with the RNC dollars.[/url]

[quote]The Republican National Committee has spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

The cash expenditures immediately raised questions among campaign finance experts about their legality under the Federal Election Commission's long-standing advisory opinions on using campaign cash to purchase items for personal use.

Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment on Monday, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin’s announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs.[/quote]

More in the article, like how after the legal questions were raised, suddenly all the clothing will go to a charitable cause after the campaign is over. Because we all know your local Goodwill has stuff from Saks Fifth Avenue.

I remember getting to buy clothes like that. Not all at once mind you, but lots of Armani and Chanel. I wonder if Ferragamo still has my shoe molds?

[quote name='BG45' post='1683916' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:08 PM'][url="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html"]Remember the big whining over John Edwards' $400 haircut paid for by money his campaign raised? Palin has outdone that with the RNC dollars.[/url][/quote]
The RNC is trying to show Obama the proper way of sharing the wealth.

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1683950' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:27 AM']The RNC is trying to show Obama the proper way of sharing the wealth.[/quote]

It certainly is one way of doing it. Maybe Edwards can donate his hair to charity too...

Ash Wednesday

Definitely not very well thought out, especially during these shaky economic times. As if RNC expenses are going to be confidential information. Sheesh! You can get some nice non-high-end-designer label clothes and still look great, especially if you're Sarah Palin.

And it's beyond me how a hairstyling can be so expensive. I know Hillary had ones that were $1500 a visit -- and it's like, how???? Airfare and flying someone in from London? Gold dust hairspray? What?

Most average American higher-end salons getting a foil and a cut on the expensive side might be anywhere between $100-$150.

It boggles the mind.

Oh come on, what woman wouldn't spend all that money on her hair and clothes if she could? She's a woman for crying out loud, she's expected dress nicely and spend heavily on these sorts of things.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='BG45' post='1683916' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:08 PM']More in the article, like how after the legal questions were raised, suddenly all the clothing will go to a charitable cause after the campaign is over. Because we all know your local Goodwill has stuff from Saks Fifth Avenue.[/quote]

I was not aware that Goodwill was the only charity option. People-of-note often auction clothing and such and give the earnings to charity.

The RNC has a duty to promote their candidates. Honestly, it costs more for a woman than a man to come off "polished." A dude can wear the same Armani suit many times and no one cares one whit. Women's clothing is a little more obvious. I'm sure they did not want the Palins to come off looking like backwater hicks. Sheesh. If they had, people would be complaining about that.

I loved the "before" and "after" news piece I saw yesterday. They showed her from earlier this year compared to now. Um, she was really pregnant earlier this year. Most of us look a little frumpy-- most maternity clothes are not especially flattering.

Plus a lot of that money was spent here in the Twin Cities... :P

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684180' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:00 AM']Good for her! she should go and spend some more money, after all she earned it.[/quote]
Umm, no she didn't. The RNC bought the clothes.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1684244' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:22 AM']Oh come on, what woman wouldn't spend all that money on her hair and clothes if she could? She's a woman for crying out loud, she's expected dress nicely and spend heavily on these sorts of things.[/quote]
So presumably we can call her "elitist" for spending more on clothes than most families earn in a year?

BTW, why is it "class warfare" when Obama proposes taxing folks with annual incomes of more than $250K but not "plutocrat warfare" for Palin to be provided a wardrobe that costs more than most families earn in a year?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1684244' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:22 AM']Oh come on, what woman wouldn't spend all that money on her hair and clothes if she could? She's a woman for crying out loud, she's expected dress nicely and spend heavily on these sorts of things.[/quote]I wouldn't. I like bargains.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1684180' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:00 AM']Good for her! she should go and spend some more money, after all she earned it.
Also its good for the economy.[/quote]

that's sick.

you have children starving and the RNC spends more money on two months worth of cloths than most familys would earn in three years.

Let me note, it's just as wrong to hear of Hillary getting a 1500 hair cut, or Edwaards getting a 400 dollar hair cut.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1684278' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:49 AM']that's sick.

you have children starving and the RNC spends more money on two months worth of cloths than most familys would earn in three years.

Let me note, it's just as wrong to hear of Hillary getting a 1500 hair cut, or Edwaards getting a 400 dollar hair cut.[/quote]
You seem to fail to recognize that the 150k cost includes EMPLOYING people to travel with her. She is doing nothing other women who have to spend a lot of face time in front of large audiences do.

She is in a campaign. She has to look good. Edwards spends $400 on a haircut to go out Saturday night. He has to look good for an audience of one, his mistress.

Children starving? Why don't you ask the 605 million dollar presidential candidate how his brother is doing in Africa? How is his $12 salary a year going for him? Getting help from Obama? Obama's favorite passage is Matthew 25:40, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' Well, except for his brother, the unborn, and those he feels need to be euthanized. (Remember he said he would take back his vote on Terry Schiavo? [url="http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/triciachristensen/CGxRb"]Look at what his disgusting campaign said about euthanizing born babies[/url].)