An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin's Shopping Spree

BG45

dominicansoul

[quote name='Didymus' post='1685137' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:53 PM']Why divide? Obama's claims of being pro-family and pro-children offend a lot of people on here too.. Just because Obama might be offensive in many ways doesn't mean Governor Palin isn't offensive in some as well..[/quote]

I agree with you. It's just that me and ken the rock man have this thing going back and forth that i rather enjoy...and I hope he does too...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1685176' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:43 PM']Who said anything about Bruce Wayne? He's a meak billionare, never around when the trouble is happening... we want Batman![/quote]
So now we're going to disagree on this as well!? :saint:

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1685180' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:45 PM']So now we're going to disagree on this as well!? :saint:[/quote]

Next thing you'll tell me is that mild mannered reporter Clark Kent is Superman...

:P

Edited by CatholicCid

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1685184' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:47 PM']Next thing you'll tell me is that mild mannered reporter Clark Kent is Superman...

:P[/quote]
No.

But I [i]could[/i] tell you a thing or two about Peter Parker...

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1685191' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:52 PM']No.

But I [i]could[/i] tell you a thing or two about Peter Parker...[/quote]

Harmless, can't hurt a fly, photographer Peter Parker?!?! :shock:

Edited by CatholicCid

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1685194' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:54 PM']Harmless, can't hurt a fly, photographer Peter Parker?!?! :shock:[/quote]
Oh, he could hurt a fly, all right...

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1685201' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:02 PM']Oh, he could hurt a fly, all right...[/quote]
I don't like what you're applying... :sadder: He's not Batman! He can't be!

:mellow:

she_who_is_not

I think it is important to note that the costs to professional women tend to be higher than for men. Haircuts, makeup, waxing, manicures, and sometimes even cosmetic surgery are part of the deal. Clothing costs also tend to be higher for women because styles change more frequently. A woman's weight can also fluxuate drastically during her working years. My dad has suits in his closet from the seventies. He still wears them and looks good. No one would know that they are 40 years old. I couldn't wear an outfit from ten years ago without looking dated.
I have two female professors who have been extremely successful as practicing trial attorneys. One has a chic haircut, dresses well, and obviously spends time on her appearance. The other hasn't bought a stitch of clothing since 1985, has a simple bob, and doesnt' wear makeup. She also has (IMHO) a better legal mind. Which one has more jury appeal, though?
Employers pay attention to looks, clients pay attention to looks, voters pay attention to looks.
I'm not defending the RNC spending. Sarah Palin could go to Sears.
Hilary Clinton looks like she shops at Sears.
Idk.

I don't see the big deal. She simply needed the clothes. There is a certain image that needs to be projected when running for that type of position. Unlike McCain, Obama and Biden she is not a multimillionaire. If I remember correctly she and her husband earned just over 120,000 last year and they supported 4 children in one of the most expensive states on that. I see it as a legitimate expense.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1685760' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:46 AM']I don't see the big deal. She simply needed the clothes. There is a certain image that needs to be projected when running for that type of position. Unlike McCain, Obama and Biden she is not a multimillionaire. If I remember correctly she and her husband earned just over 120,000 last year and they supported 4 children in one of the most expensive states on that. I see it as a legitimate expense.[/quote]
Ditto!!

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1685403' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:46 PM']What's the big deal? Its not like she spent the money on crack or something.[/quote]

:rolling:

The thing that really gets me is people are acting like Palin took the RNC Mastercard and did this shopping spree all on her own. She's getting all the flack for a decision the RNC made. Why not point a couple fingers at the RNC for what might be a poor decision? Still... the woman looks classy, so they accomplished their goal.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1685930' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:45 AM']Still... the woman looks classy, so they accomplished their goal.[/quote]
too bad she doesn't sound classy as well... but you can't buy that.

1. She doesn't get to keep the clothes. They belong to the RNC, and the plan was always to donate them for a charitable auction.
2. She didn't get to pick where the shopping was done, or how much - any more than I get to pick the company that sews my habit. It's a German company that my order has always used, and I was floored by the price (never spent that much on my clothes before entering).
3. Greta Van Susteran called the place where she shops in Alaska to verify her claim that she shops at a consignment store. She was telling the truth.
4. When you are in a campaign, unless you are the top dog, you don't call the shots. Blaming her for the spending is like blaming McCain if the Straight Talk Express runs a red light.
5. You might not be able to tell the difference between Sears and Designer, but a lot of the wealthy donors can - and they are not going to donate their thousands to someone they perceive as being outside their social circle. McCain needs that campaign money. Sorry, but that's just how the world works. Otherwise, O'bama is just flat out buying this election.
6. This is just my opinion, but if it gets her into office, I don't care how much they spend on her clothes.

Dior jacket - $40,000
Pearl necklace - $3,950
Designer glasses - $450
Naughty Monkey shoes - $395
Ending abortion - PRICELESS

I'll be praying that rosary novena in hopes that McCain/Palin get elected. I voted today, and it felt great!

150, 000$ ???? for a wardrobe? are you serious? if you wanted to drop that much money you might as well have done it right.

100,000 $ to roll up in a convertible dodge viper, then i am sure she could find some other way to spend the other 50 grand.

man, if i had 150 grand for appearances i would be so much more "ballin' " than Palin