An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin's Shopping Spree

BG45

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684360' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:02 PM']The last time I checked, the RNC wasn't a for-profit business. It's a political party that receives its funding via donations. I guess if the RNC feels that shopping sprees at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are a good use of funds donated for political purposes, who am I to argue?

BTW, I don't want to hear Palin speaking about "middle class" this or "Joe Sixpack" that, not when the cost of the clothes she's wearing represents a multiple of most people's annual salaries.[/quote]

Yes, the RNC receives funding through donations. If you don't like them spending money on Mrs. Palin's clothing, don't donate. If you already have donated, tell them what you think. If neither of those options apply to you, shut up.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kujo' post='1684728' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:31 PM']NON-ISSUE!

Our President and VP should not look like us. I don't want to see our heads of state dressed in jeans and a t-shirt (though a Phatmass one would be pretty pimptacular!). They need to look dignified and professional.

Again, get over it. Who cares what this lady wears?[/quote]
Bingo! Our president and VP should, what, be more [i]elite[/i] than us?

P.S. How about actually [i]being[/i] dignified and professional?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1684899' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:23 AM']Yes, the RNC receives funding through donations. If you don't like them spending money on Mrs. Palin's clothing, don't donate. If you already have donated, tell them what you think. If neither of those options apply to you, shut up.[/quote]
Ms. Palin is running around telling everyone that she's middle class. I'm middle class. Therefore, I have grounds for participating in this conversation. Is that OK with you?

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684918' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:41 AM']Ms. Palin is running around telling everyone that she's middle class. I'm middle class. Therefore, I have grounds for participating in this conversation. Is that OK with you?[/quote]

Then why the lecture about where the RNC gets it funds?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1684919' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:43 AM']Then why the lecture about where the RNC gets it funds?[/quote]
It was a response to a [post="1684329"]post[/post] by HSM.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684922' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:45 AM']It was a response to a [post="1684329"]post[/post] by HSM.[/quote]

I still don't get your reason for posting that, unless it was simply more of your Republican bashing.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684360' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:02 PM']BTW, I don't want to hear Palin speaking about "middle class" this or "Joe Sixpack" that, not when the cost of the clothes she's wearing represents a multiple of most people's annual salaries.[/quote]

Wow. That offends you as much as it offends me when I hear Obama speaking about his being pro-family and pro-children!

Number one....the larch...

[img]http://www.flowerphotographer.net/roth/attributes/bigimages/golden%20larch.jpg[/img]

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1684914' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:40 AM']Bingo! Our president and VP should, what, be more [i]elite[/i] than us?

P.S. How about actually [i]being[/i] dignified and professional?[/quote]

I want my president, my congressman, and my Senators to be smarter than me and to be more informed than me. I want them to have attended the best schools, received the best education, have real experience. This notion that our president needs to be someone we "want to have a drink with" is the very definition of LAME. The people leading our country should be in touch with the people they represent, but they should be more qualified for their position than the average citizen.

Or am I just an idiot?

IcePrincessKRS

[quote]WASHINGTON – Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, on whom the GOP has lavished $150,000 for designer clothes and beauty services, says her family shops frugally back home in Alaska and her favorite store is a consignment shop.

Purchases by the Republican National Committee at high-end department stores like Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus appeared in spending reports filed with the Federal Election Commission. They offered a stark contrast to Palin's image as a "hockey mom" who calls herself part of an average, middle-class American family.

"[b]Those clothes are not my property.[/b] We had three days of using clothes that the RNC purchased," Palin told Fox News in an interview that aired Thursday night.

"If people knew how Todd and I and our kids shop so frugally. My favorite shop is a consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska, called Out of the Closet. And my shoe store is called Shoe Fly in Juneau, Alaska. ... It's not, you know, Fifth Avenue-type of shopping."

In one shopping spree for Palin, the RNC spent $75,062 at Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis. It also spent $49,425 at Saks Fifth Avenue and $4,902 at Atelier, a stylish men's store, and paid $92 for a romper and matching hat with ears for her infant son, Trig, at Pacifier, a Minneapolis baby store.

The McCain campaign reported paying $13,200 in September to celebrity makeup artist Amy Strozzi, who works on the reality show "So You Think You Can Dance." She was paid $22,800 for the first two weeks of October, nearly double what the campaign paid McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, according to a filing report.
[b]
Palin said the clothing purchased by the RNC would be returned or donated to charities[/b]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/palin_clothing"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/palin_clothing[/url][/quote]

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1684934' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:04 AM']Wow. That offends you as much as it offends me when I hear Obama speaking about his being pro-family and pro-children![/quote]

Why divide? Obama's claims of being pro-family and pro-children offend a lot of people on here too.. Just because Obama might be offensive in many ways doesn't mean Governor Palin isn't offensive in some as well..

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kujo' post='1685083' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:35 PM']I want my president, my congressman, and my Senators to be smarter than me and to be more informed than me. I want them to have attended the best schools, received the best education, have real experience. This notion that our president needs to be someone we "want to have a drink with" is the very definition of LAME. The people leading our country should be in touch with the people they represent, but they should be more qualified for their position than the average citizen.

Or am I just an idiot?[/quote]
I agree. My post was tongue in cheek. I like Jon Stewart's take on it best:

[quote]Doesn’t elite mean good? Is that not something we’re looking for in a president anymore? … The job you’re applying for — if you get it, and it goes well, they might carve your head into a mountain. If you don’t actually think you are better than us, then what the f@*k are you doing? … Not only do I want an elite president, I want someone who is embarrassingly superior to me. I want someone who speaks sixteen languages and sleeps two hours a night hanging upside down in a chamber they themselves designed.[/quote]

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1685163' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:30 PM']I agree. My post was tongue in cheek. I like Jon Stewart's take on it best:[/quote]

Sounds like Jon Stewart wants Batman to be President...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1685166' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:33 PM']Sounds like Jon Stewart wants Batman to be President...[/quote]
Bruce Wayne would make a fine, fine president, IMHO. He knows how to manage financial issues AND he totally kicks butt.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1685171' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:37 PM']Bruce Wayne would make a fine, fine president, IMHO. He knows how to manage financial issues AND he totally kicks butt.[/quote]
Who said anything about Bruce Wayne? He's a meak billionare, never around when the trouble is happening... we want Batman!