An Old School Catholic Message Board

People Posing As Other People On Singles Profiles...

southern california guy

All I know is that I'm surprised that there aren't a million people impersonating me. :mellow: It's like deep water trawling; the fish just can't escape.

[quote name='TempleofVesarius' date='03 November 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1257258363' post='1995657']
For about 2 years someone has been posing as my wife online. They setup photobucket accounts and took pictures from my wife's myspace and facebook pages(which have been deleted or made extremely private). They posted her picture on sites like Wouldyouhitthis.com and HotorNot.com, as well as on countless message boards, using my wife's real name or something close to it. They have also posted personal adds on craigslist. This situation came to be known by us because someone who had been talking to this person actually tracked my wife down and started harrassing her. We contacted the local police, FBI and none of them will touch it. The only thing we can do is when we find something like that out there we contact the webmasters and have the content removed, but that is like playing whack-a-mole. They wont give me the email addresses or IP addresses the content was loaded from. I really wish I could get that info so I could just make it stop, maybe even sue the croutons out of whoever it is. It has been really upsetting to my wife, especially when you hear on the news about all these creeps and stalkers out there. I have actually let one photobucket account stay open so we can monitor it for activity. Does anyone know how I could track this jerk down?
[/quote]

I would also caution you to check your credit - you don't know if these impersonators are ID thieves trying to steal your identity.

missionseeker

[quote name='TempleofVesarius' date='03 November 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1257258363' post='1995657']
For about 2 years someone has been posing as my wife online. They setup photobucket accounts and took pictures from my wife's myspace and facebook pages(which have been deleted or made extremely private). They posted her picture on sites like Wouldyouhitthis.com and HotorNot.com, as well as on countless message boards, using my wife's real name or something close to it. They have also posted personal adds on craigslist. This situation came to be known by us because someone who had been talking to this person actually tracked my wife down and started harrassing her. We contacted the local police, FBI and none of them will touch it. The only thing we can do is when we find something like that out there we contact the webmasters and have the content removed, but that is like playing whack-a-mole. They wont give me the email addresses or IP addresses the content was loaded from. I really wish I could get that info so I could just make it stop, maybe even sue the croutons out of whoever it is. It has been really upsetting to my wife, especially when you hear on the news about all these creeps and stalkers out there. I have actually let one photobucket account stay open so we can monitor it for activity. Does anyone know how I could track this jerk down?
[/quote]

can you put sitemeter on that? (If not could you start a blog with it?)

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='03 November 2009 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1257279218' post='1995789']
how do we know we are who we say we are on this phorum? :blink:
[/quote]
I'm fairly transparent. You've read my book, so you know more about me than my mother does.

Yes, I've heard similar issues as what you mention, Southern California Guy. For a while I thought that maybe I wasn't called to religious life and was open to dating. I was on one secular site and one Catholic site.

I met one guy who was easily 20 years older and 100 lbs heavier than his picture and profile information indicated.

I met another guy who was caucasian but thought it'd be 'cool' to say he was African American. He thought he'd 'get more chicks that way'.

On the Catholic site I met a man who when we finally met in person confessed he wasn't 'really' Catholic, but had dated a lot of Catholic women, wanted to be Catholic and decided he would convert 'when he met the right woman'.

And the creme de la creme of my dating experiences was a toss up between these two: the first was a guy who corresponded with me for a while. He called one day and in the middle of our conversation the phone disconnected. I had caller ID and so I called him back. After a few rings I got fax tones. I hung up and tried again. Same thing. I gave up for about 2 hours and finally tried one more time. This time a woman answered and said I was calling her fax machine. I apologized and said I was looking for _______. She said that was her husband and what did I want with him?

The second was a guy who was a radiologist. Seeing that I'm a medical professional I thought he'd be a winner. He was also Catholic which was a must for me. Anyway, we met and he allowed his cats free reign of his home. Did I say free reign? That's an understatement. He allowed them to sleep with him, walk on his countertops, jump on the table and eat FROM HIS PLATE, took them on walks each night on a leash, and said that he could 'never love any human children as much as his cats'. He didn't understand why I stopped calling and told him I didn't think it'd work out between us. Last I heard, he was still single.

End point? People can pretty much say they're whatever they want to be online. There's no proof. But then again, you can meet these people in the bar and they'd probably feed you the same load of manure that you get in an email or on a dating site. Caution is a necessity whatever the medium of communication.