An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Is The Bishop Of The Moon?

Aloysius

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a question of great canonical importance, obviously. :saint:

So as I understand it, the 1917 Code of Canon Law places any newly discovered territory under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition which discovered that territory left; whereas, the 1983 Code of Canon Law would place any territory not already under an existing jurisdiction under the direct authority of the Pope.

So it would seem to me that, being that the 1917 code of canon law was in place when the expedition left Cape Canaveral and landed on the moon, it claimed the territory of the moon for the Diocese of Orlando. The 1983 Code would only apply to places which hadn't yet been placed under the jurisdiction of a diocese and thus the moon is under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Orlando but, say, Mars is under the jurisdiction of the Pope no matter where the first expedition to land on Mars comes from.

What do you think? This will be very important when colonizing the moon, we must know which bishop we'll have to petition for a parish to be set up!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Aloysius' date='06 November 2009 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1257491245' post='1997004']
This is a question of great canonical importance, obviously. :saint:

So as I understand it, the 1917 Code of Canon Law places any newly discovered territory under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition which discovered that territory left; whereas, the 1983 Code of Canon Law would place any territory not already under an existing jurisdiction under the direct authority of the Pope.

So it would seem to me that, being that the 1917 code of canon law was in place when the expedition left Cape Canaveral and landed on the moon, it claimed the territory of the moon for the Diocese of Orlando. The 1983 Code would only apply to places which hadn't yet been placed under the jurisdiction of a diocese and thus the moon is under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Orlando but, say, Mars is under the jurisdiction of the Pope no matter where the first expedition to land on Mars comes from.

What do you think? This will be very important when colonizing the moon, we must know which bishop we'll have to petition for a parish to be set up!
[/quote]
I assume its whatever diocese where the rocket took off.

Technically that would be the case, except that the Bishop of Rome claimed it... and who's going to argue with him? :hehe:

From WDTPRS: [url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/10/ares-launch-and-moon-trivia/#comments"]Here[/url]

[quote]I am watching the launch of Ares via NASA TV.

While watching I am chatting with a friend in Rome.

He just reminded me that the Moon is under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Rome.

When man colonizes the moon and they have to set up a Catholic chapel, etc., it has already been decided by Rome that any space colonization results in the the extension of jurisdiction of the Diocese of Rome no matter which nation does the colonization.
[/quote]

haha yeah I saw that. I haven't seen the source though, and it's my understanding that this is based upon the 1983 code of canon law seeing any as yet unclaimed territory as under the jurisdiction of Rome (so those loonies that go out on boats to 'ordain' women outside of jurisdictions are actually under the diocese of Rome)... but my argument would be that the jurisdiction of Orlando has already been expanded to the moon under the 1917 code so it's not an unclaimed territory. it would depend on what exactly Rome said, but I think Rome's claim only counts for Mars and such, since the moon was already taken before Rome made the claim on space colonization.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='06 November 2009 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1257491245' post='1997004']What do you think? This will be very important when colonizing the moon, we must know which bishop we'll have to petition for a parish to be set up!
[/quote]
Archbishop Milingo

AccountDeleted

Does it matter if the astronauts were Catholic or not? Just asking because if it depends on the first Catholic to land on the moon, might that make a difference? :rolleyes:

goldenchild17

I think the Pope should take charge of the moon and reassign someone like Cardinal Mahony there. :mellow:

Interesting thread idea here though

Canon lawyers haven't address the question yet, because as far as we know, there are no people living on the moon.

Should the time come, Catholics would be under the Bishop that canon law specifies. Being most astronaughts are in the military, they come under the US Bishop of military service men, woman and their families.

Jim

[quote name='Era Might' date='06 November 2009 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1257515736' post='1997045']
Archbishop Milingo
[/quote]
Is my witty comment going to go unremarked on? You can't get this kind of humor just anywhere folks!