An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Is The Bishop Of The Moon?

Aloysius

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CruxOfTheMatterAgain

I was discussing this same thing with friends based on the WDTPRS article.

I'd like the answer to be Orlando, just because I'm very wary of these sorts of over-extensions of papal power.

But, at the same time, it probably would be the Pope. I've looked into this before, and it doesnt seem like any of the twelve men to walk on the moon were Catholic. But more to the point: who is to say how much of the moon they discovered/claimed? I mean, everyone always knew the moon existed...so it wasnt exactly "discovered"...and they only landed on one tiny part of it...so why does that extend to a claim over the whole orb of the moon? I mean...when people were first discovering things on earth, they didnt claim the whole planet.

[quote name='CruxOfTheMatterAgain' date='06 November 2009 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1257562893' post='1997493']
I was discussing this same thing with friends based on the WDTPRS article.

I'd like the answer to be Orlando, just because I'm very wary of these sorts of over-extensions of papal power.

But, at the same time, it probably would be the Pope. I've looked into this before, and it doesnt seem like any of the twelve men to walk on the moon were Catholic. But more to the point: who is to say how much of the moon they discovered/claimed? I mean, everyone always knew the moon existed...so it wasnt exactly "discovered"...and they only landed on one tiny part of it...so why does that extend to a claim over the whole orb of the moon? I mean...when people were first discovering things on earth, they didnt claim the whole planet.
[/quote]
There's no continents on the moon, so in theory 100% of it could be colonized. No natural divisions.

i think it's kind of connected to continents... I believe the bishops in Spain were the first with jurisdiction over all of the Americas on the basis of Columbus and such; it would would be sub-divided based upon newer expeditions but upon the first expedition I think whole continents are under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition came. that's my understanding of the principal that the 1917 code would've followed.

the WDTPRS article claims that Rome has already declared that any space colonies would fall under its jurisdiction. I've not seen the statement from Rome, but I'd like to because I think it'd be awesome to see ecclesiastic statements with such far seeing future implications.

as far as the astronauts being Catholic... they were baptized men, at least some of them (I believe the story goes that the first ones received a presbyterian communion wafer on the moon), and baptized out of an offshoot of the Roman Church, so they'd fall under the jurisdiction of that Roman Catholic bishop. insofar as one is baptized, one is baptized into the One Holy Catholic Church :cyclops:, and Protestants are definitely under Roman jurisdiction in that one Church, IMO.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='06 November 2009 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1257491245' post='1997004']
This is a question of great canonical importance, obviously. :saint:

So as I understand it, the 1917 Code of Canon Law places any newly discovered territory under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition which discovered that territory left; whereas, the 1983 Code of Canon Law would place any territory not already under an existing jurisdiction under the direct authority of the Pope.

So it would seem to me that, being that the 1917 code of canon law was in place when the expedition left Cape Canaveral and landed on the moon, it claimed the territory of the moon for the Diocese of Orlando. The 1983 Code would only apply to places which hadn't yet been placed under the jurisdiction of a diocese and thus the moon is under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Orlando but, say, Mars is under the jurisdiction of the Pope no matter where the first expedition to land on Mars comes from.

What do you think? This will be very important when colonizing the moon, we must know which bishop we'll have to petition for a parish to be set up!
[/quote]

Here's a question. Does jurisdiction extend when a territory is "discovered", or when people live there? It would seem to me that a flock is needed for the bishop to have jurisdiction over.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='06 November 2009 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1257491245' post='1997004']
This is a question of great canonical importance, obviously. :saint:

So as I understand it, the 1917 Code of Canon Law places any newly discovered territory under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition which discovered that territory left; whereas, the 1983 Code of Canon Law would place any territory not already under an existing jurisdiction under the direct authority of the Pope.

So it would seem to me that, being that the 1917 code of canon law was in place when the expedition left Cape Canaveral and landed on the moon, it claimed the territory of the moon for the Diocese of Orlando. The 1983 Code would only apply to places which hadn't yet been placed under the jurisdiction of a diocese and thus the moon is under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Orlando but, say, Mars is under the jurisdiction of the Pope no matter where the first expedition to land on Mars comes from.

What do you think? This will be very important when colonizing the moon, we must know which bishop we'll have to petition for a parish to be set up!
[/quote]

So the diocese of Rome under the Pope exercising universal jurisdiction over the rest of the universe as yet undiscovered?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='06 November 2009 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1257552372' post='1997392']
The first man on the moon was a civilian.
[/quote]

My understanding, is that the first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong, who was in the Airforce.

[b]Astronaut career[/b]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Neil_Armstrong_pre_Gemini_spacesuit.jpg/250px-Neil_Armstrong_pre_Gemini_spacesuit.jpg[/img]

Armstrong in an early (pre-Gemini) spacesuit.There was no defining moment in Armstrong's decision to become an astronaut. In 1957, he was selected for the U.S. Air Force's Man In Space Soonest program. In November 1960 Armstrong was chosen as part of the pilot consultant group for the X-20 Dyna-Soar, a military space plane. On March 15, 1962 he was named as one of six pilot-engineers who would fly the space plane when it got off the design board.[sup][size="2"][[/size]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong#Astronaut_career"]http://en.wikipedia....stronaut_career[/url]
[/sup]

Edited by JimR-OCDS

[quote name='zunshynn' date='06 November 2009 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1257561404' post='1997463']
I did not get it, Era. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because I'm sure it was funny.

:lol_pound:
[/quote]
Archbishop Milingo had some kind of connection to Sun Myung Moon. Moon was the founder of the so-called "Moonies."

Now do you get the joke?

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

*Thank you, thank you, I'm all here all week*

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='09 November 2009 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1257800338' post='1999007']
My understanding, is that the first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong, who was in the Airforce.

[/quote]
He was Navy actually. He left the regular Navy in 1952, and the Naval Reserve in 1960.

Christ came to save the world. Not the moon. Not sure there is salvation for men on the moon. ;). I certainly wouldn't fly there. :unsure:

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='thessalonian' date='16 November 2009 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1258390039' post='2003719']
Christ came to save the world. Not the moon. Not sure there is salvation for men on the moon. ;). I certainly wouldn't fly there. :unsure:
[/quote]

You don't really fly to the moon. There's no air for most of the trip.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='15 November 2009 - 04:24 PM' timestamp='1258316662' post='2003300']
He was Navy actually. He left the regular Navy in 1952, and the Naval Reserve in 1960.
[/quote]

You are right, I stand corrected.

Jim