Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Funniest Thing You Will Read Today


Recommended Posts

Posted

Slappo,

If you are netting $5,000 I suppose so. If you end up with $13,000 in credit card debt, then it was $13,000 too much. Our wedding cost $2,000 with the honey moon. $500 paid for by the bride's mom.

Posted

Haha! This is making its rounds fast... in my "circles" at least... I saw it on Facebook last night and made a note out of it. It is toooooo HILARIOUS!

"The special day comes, the best man is still drunk, the groom is hung over, no one knew about that interesting tattoo that the maid of honor had way low on her back, now revealed by the plunging back of her dress that is held up only by wishful thinking. Grandma, upon reading the logo of the maid of honor's tattoo, has fainted."

It was actually helpful (aside from the endorphin boost, that is) to read this while I am planning a wedding. It's a nice little insight into a priest's mind!

Posted

He sounds like a fantastic priest!

I hope a priest like that gets to talk sense into my kids someday!

Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' date='23 November 2009 - 02:33 AM' timestamp='1258965182' post='2007839']
Angela's Ashes is absolutely amazing. I'm not too keen on Tis, although I did find his description of the episcopalians entertaining.

I'm surprised you liked Angela's Ashes, it doesn't exactly portray the Church in a good light.
[/quote]
Teacher Man was probably my favourite. Darn depressing books.

If it had been fiction, I'd be a bit more unhappy about how he portrays the Church, but this was his own experience, and I'm not going to hate him for his experiences.

Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' date='23 November 2009 - 01:33 AM' timestamp='1258965182' post='2007839']
Angela's Ashes is absolutely amazing. I'm not too keen on Tis, although I did find his description of the episcopalians entertaining.

I'm surprised you liked Angela's Ashes, it doesn't exactly portray the Church in a good light.
[/quote]

I liked Angela's Ashes but I was thoroughly disgusted with 'Tis and wouldn't even think about bothering with Teacher Man.

Of course, I think I read Angela's Ashes prior to my conversion, and 'Tis shortly afterward, which may partially be why. But I think that Angela's Ashes is just in it's treatment of the Church, even if it shows through somewhat negatively. We don't have to put on rose colored glasses every time we talk about the Church. But as I recall, I didn't find that to be the case with 'Tis at all. Not to mention the book is just way more annoying than Angela's Ashes.

Posted

What exactly disgusted you about 'Tis? I haven't read it for a couple years now.

Posted

I think the main thing was an crude obsession with sex, overall... particularly a couple rather graphic scenes, including one involving a priest. Even if he was only telling about things that really did happen, I thought he could have handled it in a less vulgar fashion, and with the scene regarding the priest, I was given the impression he was trying to send the message that that was what should be expected of priests in general. In regards to his experiences with his girlfriends, I was just bothered by the fact that, again, he was just so crude, and there was no remorse.

(PM me if you're not sure what I'm talking about... I didn't want to go into too much detail here.)

Posted

I do know what you're talking about. :)
I agree that it was graphic and vulgar... on the other hand, one should remember that it's not fiction. He's being honest about what happened to him, and how he felt about it. More than just a vulgar story, it's a true story about a rather vulgar individual. Honesty.

Posted

I'd marry in a potato sack as long as I was with the one God wanted for me...

Posted

It is good to have a spirit of poverty but at the same time, in spiritual things, especially the sacraments, it is also good to remember the physical beauty that ought to be portrayed in order to draw us deeper into the spiritual beauty of the sacrament.

Remember the story where the man who was not dressed properly was thrown out of the party.

We don't have to go all out on a wedding to make everything beautiful, but we ought at least try within reasonable fiscal means to make the wedding befit the spiritual beauty it signifies.


Now with the above said, you could have a beautiful wedding without a reception, without a photographer, no gifts for bridesmaids and groomsmen, friends singing rather then professionals, a hand-me-down wedding dress altered to fit, etc and have a very inexpensive wedding.

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='23 November 2009 - 04:52 AM' timestamp='1258980763' post='2007850']
Slappo,

If you are netting $5,000 I suppose so. If you end up with $13,000 in credit card debt, then it was $13,000 too much. Our wedding cost $2,000 with the honey moon. $500 paid for by the bride's mom.
[/quote]

We wouldn't have nearly the costs if we weren't being given so much. As our parents are being very generous though, it would be wrong to then keep all that money and make it a really cheap wedding. Also one of the reasons her parents are so generous is it is tradition in her family and in the area to have big wedding parties and receptions. It is especially tradition in her family to have big wedding receptions, but on the other side, the wedding gifts and financial contributions by her extended family that attend pretty much pay for the reception (which is why we'll probably net money).


I don't think you should have any debt coming out of a wedding. I agree. I do think you should be willing to make financial sacrifices within reason to make the wedding day beautiful.

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 November 2009 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1258953463' post='2007794']
A wedding reception seems like way more trouble than its worth.

Now, about flowers....... the floral arrangements cost a lot, don't they? Now think about this: half of the people there don't care about flowers, and the other half only cares a tiny bit. Seems to me that only a handful of people even care if there are flowers or not. Some with colour schemes in general, except maybe the wedding party.
[/quote]

Disagreed.

A wedding is not just a marriage of a man and woman but of two families. I want my wedding (whenever that is) to be a celebration for not just me and my husband but of also my family and friends and his family and his friends.

Will I have a reception? Oh yeah. And flowers? Yep. Music? Yep. Just because you want/have all that doesn't mean you are missing the point of the day. Just because you want those things like a DJ, a Church, flowers, color cooridination, etc., does not mean you need to be a Platinum Bridezilla.

Yeah so anyway.

Posted

[quote name='picchick' date='23 November 2009 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1259021185' post='2008196']
Disagreed.

A wedding is not just a marriage of a man and woman but of two families. I want my wedding (whenever that is) to be a celebration for not just me and my husband but of also my family and friends and his family and his friends.

Will I have a reception? Oh yeah. And flowers? Yep. Music? Yep. Just because you want/have all that doesn't mean you are missing the point of the day. Just because you want those things like a DJ, a Church, flowers, color cooridination, etc., does not mean you need to be a Platinum Bridezilla.

Yeah so anyway.
[/quote]
I guess I'm getting at more the excesses that we often see. I don't think there's anything wrong with having flowers...... but I would think there's something wrong with having two week's pay worth of flowers. Know what I mean? I could have worded it better.

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 November 2009 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1258998339' post='2007935']
I do know what you're talking about. :)
I agree that it was graphic and vulgar... on the other hand, one should remember that it's not fiction. He's being honest about what happened to him, and how he felt about it. More than just a vulgar story, it's a true story about a rather vulgar individual. Honesty.
[/quote]

'Tis just wasn't as heart-wrenching for me as his first memoir. I really liked how with Angela's Ashes he conveyed that initially innocence and awe he had prior to puberty. I agree with Zunshynn, too much sex in 'Tis. I think in literature sex should be used as a vehicle to convey meaning or (at the very least) to advance narrative, that wasn't the case in 'Tis.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Best. Pastoral. Letter. Ever.

My wedding, including the reception and 2-week honeymoon, cost roughly $1500.

Posted

[quote name='OraProMe' date='23 November 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1259029042' post='2008302']
'Tis just wasn't as heart-wrenching for me as his first memoir. I really liked how with Angela's Ashes he conveyed that initially innocence and awe he had prior to puberty. I agree with Zunshynn, too much sex in 'Tis. I think in literature sex should be used as a vehicle to convey meaning or (at the very least) to advance narrative, that wasn't the case in 'Tis.
[/quote]
I definitely agree that it was too much. Like I said, I let it slide because it's his actual experience, and you can't change that for the sake of a better story.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Raphael' date='23 November 2009 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1259033168' post='2008355']
Best. Pastoral. Letter. Ever.

My wedding, including the reception and 2-week honeymoon, cost roughly $1500.
[/quote]

Whoa! I would definitely like some pointers, bro!

EDIT: Same question to Brother Adam, too. $2000?! That's awesome!

Edited by mommas_boy
Posted

If you really want to save money, I know someone who is getting married soon, and he and his wife will be going to a monastery for their honeymoon. :lol:

He's almost 80 years old, though. I can just imagine a young person asking their fiance to go to a monastery for their honeymoon. :sweat:

txdinghysailor
Posted

I wonder if Popeyes caters for weddings....

little_miss_late
Posted

[quote name='picchick' date='23 November 2009 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1259021185' post='2008196']
Disagreed.

A wedding is not just a marriage of a man and woman but of two families. I want my wedding (whenever that is) to be a celebration for not just me and my husband but of also my family and friends and his family and his friends.

Will I have a reception? Oh yeah. And flowers? Yep. Music? Yep. Just because you want/have all that doesn't mean you are missing the point of the day. Just because you want those things like a DJ, a Church, flowers, color cooridination, etc., does not mean you need to be a Platinum Bridezilla.

Yeah so anyway.
[/quote]

I agree with this post. I also want to say that there is not always a direct relationship to the amount of money spent and the amount of drama and being poorly prepared for marriage. If one of the people getting married (or one of the parents involved) is the kind of person to obsess about silly details, or pick fights, or be controlling, then this is going to come out somewhere whether the wedding costs $2,000 or $20,000. There are also wonderful and loving couples who have expensive weddings, not because they are caught up in the Bridezilla stuff but because they have huge families or because they just like to throw big, fun parties for the people who love them.

I do not have a lot of deep regrets in my life, but one of the things I regret is putting off getting married, because my grandmother didn't live to celebrate at the big party. I am the kind of person who doesn't care so much about music and flowers and colors, but I also should have been less selfish in the way that I expected no one else to care about them just because I don't care about them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...