An Old School Catholic Message Board

Under The Islamic Veil: Faces Disfigured By Acid

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='27 November 2009 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1259372027' post='2010454']
actually its on the same page for me. and i dont see how it matters [b]as you dont respond to my posts anyways.[/b] [/quote]

Awesome, you've caught on. I am done addressing you now.

[quote] participation? you have responded to like 5 posts in a row talking about why both the Koran and the Torah can be interpreted in violent ways with "but islam is bad and we arent."
[/quote]

I have commented on this but I refuse to derail my thread any further. You want to talk about it, start a new topic.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='27 November 2009 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1259372169' post='2010456']
Awesome, you've caught on. I am done addressing you now.

I have commented on this but I refuse to derail my thread any further. You want to talk about it, start a new topic.
[/quote]

Hah! now i know how you feel when you talk at Hassan. i hope its just as infuriating for you.

um half the thread has been about that topic, it is hardly derailing for me to comment on it too.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='27 November 2009 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1259372355' post='2010459']
um half the thread has been about that topic, it is hardly derailing for me to comment on it too.
[/quote]

Then half the tread has been off topic, because people have not respected the wishes of the OP or phourm rules and internet protocol.

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1259372681' post='2010462']
Then half the tread has been off topic, because people have not respected the wishes of the OP or phourm rules and internet protocol.
[/quote]

Thanks.

I thought the topic was about women getting acid in their face, not every flaw in the koran.

and lets face it, you are condemning Islam by comparing it to another religion, Catholicism, that you believe to be superior(i do too, but that doesnt matter) it only stands to reason that to refute some of your arguments, we should be able to compare and contrast Islam with other common religions(christianity being the most common chosen in this thread)
Its like saying motorcycles smell of elderberries, by comparing them to cars, and expecting the other debaters to refute this without mentioning cars. silly.

Just because a thread is not playing out the way the OP hoped(this is common on the internet) does not mean the thread is necessarily off topic, more likely its because people dont agree with your opinion.This thread would be a lot shorter if everyone agreed.

Edited by Jesus_lol

I am surprised that no one responded to JiYoung's observation that these crimes were mostly the result of romantic disappointment or family feuds. Her observations are the most astute on this entire thread.

I can hardly imagine that anything in the Koran or any other Islamic religious literature justifies throwing acid into the face of someone who turned you down for marriage. Let's be reasonable...I think that the original article may indeed have the effect of creating an impression that Islam justifies this kind of barbaric action. Now, I am not saying that Islam doesn't condone other barbaric actions, but not this one.

Furthermore, the article could have mentioned that this is not so much a religiously driven horror, but a cultural and even geographical one. For example, there are many women and children in Cambodia who are scarred in this way. Cambodia is a Buddhist country. These crimes are done for many of the same reasons as in Muslim countries: rejected men seeking vengeance, or anger towards a family, which is vented on the most vulnerable people.

However, in Southeast Asian countries it is also very common for WOMEN to attack other women in this way, in an act of jealously or anger for very trivial things. It is very easy and cheap to get battery acid, so it is a common weapon. Sometimes people are attacked in crowded places like markets, and many times bystanders are unintentionally harmed or killed as well as the intended victim. Many simply do not survive these attacks, which instantly melt and fuse skin, tissues and bone. The women in the pictures, the women you may see on other sites that are scarred, they are the minority of victims.

I think people should not be quick to make a connection between Islam and acid burning. Acid attacks are horrific crimes that are very common, as JiYoung pointed out, in extremely patriarchal societies (which describes much of developing Asia).

KnightofChrist

[quote]I can hardly imagine that anything in the Koran or any other Islamic religious literature justifies throwing acid into the face of someone who turned you down for marriage.[/quote]

But if the woman is like that of a animal?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1259378235' post='2010515']
But if the woman is like that of a animal?
[/quote]

now you are really reaching.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='27 November 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1259378970' post='2010520']
now you are really reaching.
[/quote]

"Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Qur'an 4:15 "If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; if they testify, confine them to houses until death claims them."

Qur'an 33:59 "Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and all Muslim women to draw cloaks and veils all over their bodies. [b]That will be better[/b]."

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 November 2009 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1259379551' post='2010525']
"Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Qur'an 4:15 "If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; if they testify, confine them to houses until death claims them."

Qur'an 33:59 "Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and all Muslim women to draw cloaks and veils all over their bodies. [b]That will be better[/b]."
[/quote]

Do you understand how annoying it is when Protestants or atheists cherry-pick verses from the Gospel to make a point while not really understanding the text they are quoting? The same applies to the Koran. Haven't we been over this in this thread already. Compare 33:59 to what St. Paul has to say about modesty. Geez oh man!

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Maggie' date='28 November 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1259385622' post='2010538']
Do you understand how annoying it is when Protestants or atheists cherry-pick verses from the Gospel to make a point while not really understanding the text they are quoting? The same applies to the Koran. Haven't we been over this in this thread already. Compare 33:59 to what St. Paul has to say about modesty. Geez oh man!
[/quote]

When sources of Islam state women are dogs, and a number in Islam treat women like dogs you see no connection and just see that as cherry picking?

Edited by KnightofChrist

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='28 November 2009 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1259386457' post='2010540']
When sources of Islam state women are dogs, and a number in Islam treat women like dogs you see no connection and just see that as cherry picking?
[/quote]

Those verses sound fairly straightforward to me. Unless "women are dogs" or "women are domestic animals" have some kind of metaphorical meaning I'm not aware of.

quite a number of christian men treat their wives like slaves and animals too. beat them, demean them, take your pick. i wager any anecdotal stuff like that can be seen in any culture, in any country, under any religion.

i see it as cherry picking to pick these instances where it is clearly more of a problem with crazy psychopathic people and try and extrapolate that to an entire culture. especially when similar instances in our culture are dismissed as not relevant to the culture/religion as a whole. which is exactly our point!!!

HisChildForever

[quote name='jumpfrog' date='27 November 2009 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1259375875' post='2010500']
I can hardly imagine that anything in the Koran or any other Islamic religious literature justifies throwing acid into the face of someone who turned you down for marriage.
[/quote]

That would be because you are from a civilized society.

which explains the recent acid throwing in the U.K. how exactly? and before you ask, no one involved was muslim.