An Old School Catholic Message Board

Zoroastrianism

Selah

[quote]9) Some ancient guy in church history extended an olive branch to them
10)IT DOESN'T MATTER..IT WASN'T DOGMATIC!!!!!111! 11!1!1! [/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='Winchester' date='12 December 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1260657309' post='2019331']
I know one. She's pretty good looking.

I believe they are dualists.
[/quote]

Yes, they are to a certain degree and depending on the beliefs of the Zoroastrian in question.

Edited by Resurrexi

It does seem a little similar to Judaism and Christianity. That's what I find interesting. The Amesha Spentas, the "Holy Immortals" are kind of like angels.

[quote name='Winchester' date='12 December 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1260659069' post='2019350']
The "evil" god is lesser, if I remember. But that seems to be the case in all dualistic religions I've seen.
[/quote]

If I recall correctly, some modern Zoroastrians do not believe in the existence of the evil god. They reject him as being illogical.

[quote name='Winchester' date='12 December 2009 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1260659069' post='2019350']
The "evil" god is lesser, if I remember. But that seems to be the case in all dualistic religions I've seen.
[/quote]
That's an interesting point, when you think about it. The world's messed up enough you would think that it just seems logical that some dualists think their "evil god" is stronger. It makes me think that there is some kind of pre-rational reason for believing in the ultimate triumph of Good.

[quote name='Selah' date='13 December 2009 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1260659140' post='2019351']
It does seem a little similar to Judaism and Christianity. That's what I find interesting. The Amesha Spentas, the "Holy Immortals" are kind of like angels.
[/quote]

Certain elements of Zoroastrianism passed into Judaism, and from Judaism to Christianity. Following the destruction of the First Temple in 586 BC there was a large Jewish community in Babylon, which was conquered by the Persians. It was Cyrus the Great who allowed Ezra and Nehemiah to return to the Land of Israel and begin rebuilding the Temple. However, angels appear in Genesis, which, if you accept Divine Revelation, was written in about 1500 BC [Mt. Sinai], or if you believe in Biblical criticism, was redacted about 800 BC. So "angels" and Amesha Spentas might be a case of "reverse syncretism". Syncretism can go both ways, and indeed, in Judaism it has done several times.

Edited by Antigonos