sir_knight Posted January 28, 2014 Posted January 28, 2014 Don't give up on the Knights . . . a lot of things have changed in the last 15 years. I am on1st, 2nd and 4th degree teams, and was recently the honoree at a 3 rd degree ceremony. I'd recommend you find a young council and renew your membership, then attend a 3rd degree as an observer. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and impressed. Also, I'd recommend taking a role on a 1st degree team . . . Warden would be a good starting point. The Knights have a premiere insurance program, and you should avail yourself of that opportunity. . . . look especially at the annuity program. Good Luck and Vivat Jesus!
Paul L. Posted March 18, 2018 Posted March 18, 2018 I just completed the Third Degree this weekend in Elmira, New York and it was nothing like all of these posts! These posts are giving false information to anyone searching the internet for useful information.
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted March 19, 2018 Posted March 19, 2018 (edited) Like I know prudence is nescisary in what to say and not say about others when there not present and when to say it and who to say it to or its idle gossip or at worst defaming another persons character, but this secret society stuff scares me, sounds kinda freemasonry. But all in all also I boast in things Jesus does for me and he was always telling people to keep what he was doing to themselves, I guess to not make a show of it, to show off, making the seriousness of salvation some entertainment spectacle, and let peoples curiosity of your demeanor, charity, joy etc to draw them to ask questions. Idk I hope these knights are cool though. Please forgive me Lord a putrid sinner. Jesus "peter put away your sword, violence begats violence" Knights are warriors who are called to kill another during war. Just war doctrine I guess. I hope, wish and pray for all violence to end on this planet. Edited March 19, 2018 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Kevin lyon Posted July 2, 2019 Posted July 2, 2019 I was also highly offended by this ceremony. In my ceremony the knights attempted to publicly ridicule any who (under the pressure of public ridicule) could not remember all the ten commandments. I had just converted and had learned that judgement is reserved for god. This ceremony was not remotely in line with the beautiful teachings of my RCIA class. I have also decided it is a sin to keep quiet, so no need for any guilt trips here
Kevin lyon Posted July 3, 2019 Posted July 3, 2019 Recent email to my pastor on the subject... mistakes in grammar and all Hi Father Matthew, (I have been meaning to send this email for years.... apologies for the delay) I converted to Catholicism in 2013. I am writing you today to discuss two very different experiences I had as I entered the church in hopes that you can help me reconcile them. The first was my RCIA class. I was truly fortunate to be in Paul Thigpen’s last RCIA class at St Brendan’s (before he went on to translate works of saints into modern day languages…. What a guy!) . This entire experience was quite simply the most beautiful spiritual exploration of my life. I learned so much that I will carry with me to my last days on this earth and beyond. I will never be more grateful for my good fortune. It is difficult to summarize all that I learned, but the underlying theme of the entire course was the depth of God's love and the connection we as god’s people all share. Shortly after my confirmation I joined the Knights of Columbus. I joined because my father in law was very active and so was aware of all the good works that they do. Before I go on and explain what turned out to be a very negative experience, let me say that I truly respect much of the work the knights do. Their work for the unborn, in particular, is something I very much admire, and would like to support. However, I was quite taken aback by what was in my view the rather Machiavellian nature of the third-degree exemplification. Now, as I assume you are aware, they swear you to secrecy about these ceremonies before you go through them. After prayer and contemplation, I have decided that it is not a sin to go against this particular oath (sworn in ignorance), and it may even be a sin to keep quiet….. In this ceremony there is an attempt to publicly shame any who can not name all of the 10 commandments… on the spot, in a public setting. I was one of the last people in my fairly large group that the leader of this ceremony approached, so I saw how uncomfortable he made everyone as he went around the room and asked for the next commandment… laying his stern judgement on those who under the pressure of his attention could not recall one of the remaining on the list. This was just a few short months after the beautiful loving nature of the church was outlined to me in RCIA where it was stressed that judgement was reserved for the lord and the lord alone. As this ….lets say gentleman… approached I was quite angry that an organization that is recognized by the church would treat its members in this fashion, regardless of the intent behind the ceremony. I found myself gritting my teeth as he approached and very shortly said… “yeah, I don’t remember either”, quite simply to end the offensive farce as quickly as possible. Obviously, I know that the ten commandments are part of the bedrock of our church and certainly support any organization that wants its members to know them and live them. If the knights had made us pass a test or complete an in-depth course on this subject I would have applauded. I don’t, however, see how public shaming and human judgement as a teaching mechanism is useful or in line with the teachings of the beautiful church I learned about in RCIA. There were other moments in my brief tenure with the knights that caused me concern. The mandatory sales presentation from the knight’s sales rep, who I had been warned by a former grand knight had garnered several complaints, was much too much of a stereotypical pushy sales call than demonstration of concern for the welfare of brother knights. In either the 1st or 2nd degree exemplification (I don’t recall which) a plastic skull was used as one of the props, which apparently had replaced an actual skull in earlier iterations of this ceremony. Also, in one of the only meetings I attended a very reasonable suggestion by the gentleman who at the time was the groups lead cook to allow voluntary donations for the weekly dinners, so all of the fundraising was not used to feed ourselves (which made me uncomfortable as well), was shot down somewhat coarsely by the leadership. All of the above I tried to brush off as simple human failings, but the Machiavellian, judgmental nature of the knight's foundational third-degree exemplification, in such sharp contrast to what I had learned in RCIA, was too much for me to bear. I have since asked to no longer be a member of this organization. The whole experience has left a truly bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, this experience tempered what was my overwhelming excitement I had as a new member of the church as a result of RCIA. I have since gone on-line (in some catholic chat rooms) and realized that I am far from the only one who felt this way about the third-degree exemplification, but there does not seem to be any inclination by the knights to make any changes to it. I am curious if you have any thoughts you would like to share on the matter or if you have any advice. I would love an opportunity for fellowship in an organization that is a little more in line with what I learned in RCIA, but haven’t found one. Thoughts? I am also concerned that the delicate faith of some other new converts could be shaken by similar experiences with the knights. I was fortunate that I had been attending mass for ten years prior to my conversion, so I had a foundation from which to draw. Other converts are truly lost and have gloriously found the church as a way to save their life. Yet they may not be strong enough yet in their faith for it not to be shaken. I fear if someone in such a state had the same experience as I had with the knights, we may lose them.... and what a tragedy that would be. Thanks in advance for your help (and for reading this lengthy email), Kevin Lyon
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 Hey, thanks for posting. First off, I'm sorry for your negative experience. I believe the GK was there---wonder what he thought of the public shaming? As a 4th degree Knight, i have had fairly positive experiences for the most part. I will just say this, since you mentioned it---parts of exemplification ceremonies can be confusing and cryptic, and could be a cause for stumbling if not properly explained/understood. Taking to brother knights, more experienced, may be helpful... anyway, I would hope that your pastor ( if you already sent the email) is a chaplain for your local Knights' Council because that might make things easier.
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 1 hour ago, Seven77 said: Hey, thanks for posting. First off, I'm sorry for your negative experience. I believe the GK was there---wonder what he thought of the public shaming? As a 4th degree Knight, i have had fairly positive experiences for the most part. I will just say this, since you mentioned it---parts of exemplification ceremonies can be confusing and cryptic, and could be a cause for stumbling if not properly explained/understood. Taking to brother knights, more experienced, may be helpful... anyway, I would hope that your pastor ( if you already sent the email) is a chaplain for your local Knights' Council because that might make things easier. Btw, it is best to continue this via private message...
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 I'm sorry. There is nothing anyone could explain, that would make what I saw acceptable or in line with how Jesus (the embodiment of love) would want. His people to act.. The end does not justify the means, so the "purpose" is irrelavent.. I pray that the knights come to realize how dangerous and irresponsible this ceremony is.
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 As for your suggestion to keep this dialogue private.... absolutely not.... The secretive nature of these ceremonies (backed by oaths given in ignorance), is in my opinion what has allowed this situation to continue to fester for as long as it has. The more people that speak out publicly the better. Using public shaming as a teaching mechanism is simply wrong and not in line with the loving nature of Christ. I believe the church has learned some valuable lessons regarding keeping uncomfortable truths in the dark in recent decades. The knights should learn from these lessons.
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 8 hours ago, Kevin lyon said: I'm sorry. There is nothing anyone could explain, that would make what I saw acceptable or in line with how Jesus (the embodiment of love) would want. His people to act.. The end does not justify the means, so the "purpose" is irrelavent.. I pray that the knights come to realize how dangerous and irresponsible this ceremony is. I think you just need to kind of chill out. Just take some time to process the whole thing. Just because somebody up there acted like a jerk during your 3rd° ceremony doesn't mean you have to discount the whole thing. Have you even been to other ones? You're making rash generalizations. And some of the things you're freaking out about aren't worth it. For example, there's nothing wrong with a human skull used as a symbol--- it represents the idea that one should always live with the understanding that life is fragile and short and we will die someday. Properly understood, there's nothing really all that twisted about it. Not telling you to keep it private, I'm telling you to discuss it with some of the Knights themselves in real life.
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 I had multiple people on my council say they wanted to "warn" me of what was coming in this ceremony, but couldn't because of the "oath". So, at a minimum this is much more common than you believe. I have resigned from the knights as a result of them allowing this practice. But thanks for your advice. There are other ways to serve than in an organization that indulges in medieval ceremonies. Thanks for your advice though. I am living a full life... outside of the "brotherhood"
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 For the record, I have spoken to several knights about this ceremony. They are all very much aware of my feelings on the subject and how little respect I have for such practices. You take care now. God Bless.
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 38 minutes ago, Kevin lyon said: I had multiple people on my council say they wanted to "warn" me of what was coming in this ceremony, but couldn't because of the "oath". So, at a minimum this is much more common than you believe. I have resigned from the knights as a result of them allowing this practice. But thanks for your advice. There are other ways to serve than in an organization that indulges in medieval ceremonies. Thanks for your advice though. I am living a full life... outside of the "brotherhood" I'm really confused with some of the things you're saying. We were talking about your main concern which was the shaming/insulting those in the group. Are you saying that this is a common practice? I don't think you are saying this because I'm pretty sure you believe that shaming/insulting someone for not knowing the 10 Commandments is not something that is endorsed by the Knights as an official organization. Now, because of what you've written here, I'm getting a different idea of what your main difficulty is. It seems to me that there are other things that you don't understand about the ceremony… It's an act, nothing to be alarmed at. It means nothing really. It's not medieval, it's not masonic. A little strange for some? Sure. But you are resigning because of the exemplification in and of itself. The insulting just solidified your decision. That's what I'm getting from your posts. Now that said, sure, it's not for everyone and you are free to serve in another organization if you wish and that's cool.
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 Yes. that is exactly what happened in my 3rd degree ceremony and many of my former brother knights ceremony. it was absolutely ridiculous, so I decided to find other ways to serve. Common enough practice that I was told they wanted to warn me in advance, but couldn't due to the oath of secrecy garbage. This is plenty of reason for me to insist that I be removed from the roles of the knights (which i did several years ago... my 3rd degree was in 2013. I hope that clears thing up.
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 (edited) 20 minutes ago, Kevin lyon said: Yes. that is exactly what happened in my 3rd degree ceremony and many of my former brother knights ceremony. it was absolutely ridiculous, so I decided to find other ways to serve. Common enough practice that I was told they wanted to warn me in advance, but couldn't due to the oath of secrecy garbage. This is plenty of reason for me to insist that I be removed from the roles of the knights (which i did several years ago... my 3rd degree was in 2013. I hope that clears thing up. No, I'm afraid it really adds to my confusion. Are you saying that many of your former Kights experienced being insulted in the ceremony? and that they warned you about the possibility of being insulted? I'm pretty sure that insulting folks for any reason is definitely not common practice, and indeed should not be tolerated. Another thing, this happened in 2013 but is still bothering you, even though you have since resigned and moved on? Edited July 4, 2019 by Seven77
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 Yes. They did. At the time it was a common enough practice in my area (ceremony was given to knights across several councils). After the ceremony I was appalled which was quite obvious, and was told by multiple people who had the same experience (knights from my council that attended my 3rd degree) that they wanted to warn me but couldn't ... because of that asinine oath. For them the nonsense was something they thought they needed to endure in order to be a part of all the good works the knights do. Keep in mind that I had just gone through RCIA as a convert, and was incredibly excited to be a Catholic and the knights were the first catholic org I was a part of. It was quite a disappointment and took me years to regain that excitement for my faith. I fear this is or has happened to other converts, some of which could leave the church. I am still a bit angry about the whole thing (in case that is not obvoius)..
Kevin lyon Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 If you can't understand why this experience had a lasting affect on someone (considering I was new to the church) then perhaps we should end this dialogue. You take care.
Seven77 Posted July 4, 2019 Posted July 4, 2019 No, I understand that a difficult experience can have lasting effect on someone. I am just not fully clear as to the details of experience, what went down, etc. But at any rate it doesn't really matter. Anyway, I can appreciate how it could definitely be problematic for you as convert to Catholicism because, although nobody yelled at us, there was something about exemplification that took me aback at first but after a while I could see the context and I thought the whole thing was, at worst, possibly unnecessarily dramatic. I'm sorry if I came off kind of unsympathetic In earlier posts.
gmc21444 Posted December 12, 2019 Posted December 12, 2019 I heard that there are people posing as priests, doctors, and "recruits". Somebody acts drunk, the priest is combative, and all sorts of play-acting. This couldn't possibly be true..correct?
gmc21444 Posted December 20, 2019 Posted December 20, 2019 On 7/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, Kevin lyon said: I had multiple people on my council say they wanted to "warn" me of what was coming in this ceremony, but couldn't because of the "oath". So, at a minimum this is much more common than you believe. I have resigned from the knights as a result of them allowing this practice. But thanks for your advice. There are other ways to serve than in an organization that indulges in medieval ceremonies. Thanks for your advice though. I am living a full life... outside of the "brotherhood" On 12/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, gmc21444 said: I heard that there are people posing as priests, doctors, and "recruits". Somebody acts drunk, the priest is combative, and all sorts of play-acting. This couldn't possibly be true..correct?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now