An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pre-Religious Life "bucket List"

magnificat

If God is really dragging me to the Carmelites Id probably spend my last days and weeks before entering eating a lot of meat accompanied by my fav alcoholic beverages. I dont mean get drunk but I do like a good wine, beer, or pina colada. Id spend all of at least one day in my pjs being lazy and loud, and of course spend lots of time with family. Id go running a lot more too. Id watch my fav Simpsons episodes one more time as well.

• 1 year later...
Margaret Mary

I know this is an old thread but I thought that it is an interesting topic. Realisticly speaking, what whould you all want to do if/before you entered the convent?

OnlySunshine

I thought I'd answered this question when the thread was still active back then, but I don't see a post of mine anywhere. :blush:

If I enter religious life (God-willing), the order that I am very interested in has an age limit of 30 and I'll be turning 28 this year. I really would like to experience life on my own. I've lived with my parents all my life. I've been unsuccessful in jobs in the last several years and even though I had 2 full-time jobs, they didn't last long because of problems.

I'd also like to travel to Africa to see the big cats and Europe--especially Switzerland to see the Alps. I'd also like to see England, Ireland, and Belgium. I don't think I'll be able to do all of this, but I'd really like to. I've always wanted to go to England and Switzerland. I just recently wanted to go to Africa. :)

Those are really the only two things I can think of. Everything else I've either done already or it's not that important.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Hmmm... I thought I had made a reply in this thread, but I guess not. I'm not sure what I would want to do... there is nothing that really comes to mind, although I do want to make a trip with my sister (mostly because she really wants to) and I've thought of getting a tattoo (something small and inconspicuous) of a crucifix over my heart... but I don't know if I would.

[quote name='magnificat' timestamp='1262476319' post='2028766']
I'm interested in seeing what others who are discerning would want to do before entering religious life - whether it's serious or fun. Ideas?
[/quote]

I looooooooooove this question! I will have to think about it more, but I especially want to have special moments with loved friends, and love the heck out of each other before we rarely see each other again!

franciscanheart

I have a list of things but none of them are necessary. They're things I would want to do regardless of my vocation, things that have always fascinated me. Here's my list:

[list=1]
[*]Go on safari
[*]Visit Alaska
[*]Go skiing in some popular US ski destination
[*]Have a bonfire on the beach
[*]Skydive
[*]Take a road trip on my motorcycle
[*]Ride the MS150
[*]Run a half-marathon
[*]Visit Argentina, Brazil, and South Africa
[*]Journey to Austrailia, Thailand, and Italy
[*]Climb a mountain
[*]Chase butterflies or fireflies during a camping trip in the Ozarks
[*]Shoot a documentary
[*]Photograph my heros
[*]Learn to surf and skateboard
[/list]

That's all that comes to mind immediately... :blush:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1301003321' post='2223039']
I have a list of things but none of them are necessary. They're things I would want to do regardless of my vocation, things that have always fascinated me. Here's my list:

[list=1]
[*][b]Go on safari[/b]
[*]Visit Alaska
[*]Go skiing in some popular US ski destination
[*]Have a bonfire on the beach
[*]Skydive
[*]Take a road trip on my motorcycle
[*]Ride the MS150
[*]Run a half-marathon
[*]Visit Argentina, Brazil, and South Africa
[*]Journey to Austrailia, Thailand, and Italy
[*]Climb a mountain
[*]Chase butterflies or fireflies during a camping trip in the Ozarks
[*]Shoot a documentary
[*]Photograph my heros
[*]Learn to surf and skateboard
[/list]

That's all that comes to mind immediately... :blush:
[/quote]

I'd go with you on that one. We could go where I've always wanted to go--the Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. Such rich wildlife. If I end up becoming a wildlife biologist instead of a Sister, I plan to work there. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301004339' post='2223043']
I'd go with you on that one. We could go where I've always wanted to go--the Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. Such rich wildlife. If I end up becoming a wildlife biologist instead of a Sister, I plan to work there. :)
[/quote]
Then we could go into the rain forest! That's another thing I've always wanted to see. The rain forest.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1301006330' post='2223051']
Then we could go into the rain forest! That's another thing I've always wanted to see. The rain forest.
[/quote]

Ooooo! Yeah! We could go see the jaguars.

[img]http://www.manataka.org/images/Jaguar.jpg[/img]

TeresaBenedicta

My answers have changed ever so slightly since the last time I thought about this...

Here's the biggest one for me: I want to go to Disneyland with my brother's family. I've been multiple times (and once to Disneyworld!), but I can't imagine a better family vacation before entering than Disneyland... I want to share that magical joy of Disney with my two nephews (ages 4 and 6) and my niece (just turned 2). Not too mention, Disney is just plain fun to begin with!

As a second, I'd [i]really[/i] like to go to [url="http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/"]The Wizarding World of Harry Potter[/url]. I love Harry Potter... honestly. I grew up with it. I've read the books and seen the movies so many times that it's not even funny. I've been to every single midnight premier. It's a magical story for me. And I'd love to go to the amusement park to cap that experience off. If I don't go before I enter, I never will. (Sadly my Order does not like Harry Potter, so after entering, even when on a home visit, there's no chance of going.)

Normally I'd say that I'd want to travel... because I do! But there's a good likelihood that that'll happen when I enter.

And last time I posted I said I wanted to learn the guitar... which I'm doing now!!!!!

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301013140' post='2223076']
Ooooo! Yeah! We could go see the jaguars.

[img]http://www.manataka.org/images/Jaguar.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
So beautiful. :love:

Also, how'd I forget?!
16. Family photo shoot with Tara Whitney

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1301023605' post='2223107']
So beautiful. :love:
[/quote]

I know. :love:

I really think that jaguars are just stocky leopards. The resemblance between the two makes them difficult for most people to tell them apart in pictures. The way I remember is that a jaguar's head looks a lot like a rottweiler's--big and broad. Also, the leopard has furrier ears.

This is a leopard (Zawadi is her name; she is my favorite leopard from Big Cat Diary):

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4685914970_38743695f9.jpg[/img]

This is the jaguar again:

[img]http://www.destination360.com/south-america/brazil/images/st/amazon-animals-jaguar.jpg[/img]

TeresaBenedicta

You guys are so weird. Hehe. :angel: Not really sure how one goes from the subject of religious life to jaguars and leopards...

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1301025164' post='2223119']
You guys are so weird. Hehe. :angel: Not really sure how one goes from the subject of religious life to jaguars and leopards...
[/quote]

:hehe:

We were talking about safaris and I just got off on a tangent. :rolleyes: