Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 10, 2010 Author Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='mcts' date='09 January 2010 - 03:11 PM' timestamp='1263067892' post='2033362'] Best. Response. Ever. [/quote] Indeed. People are offended at the pro-life cause not because they find it untrue, but because they find themselves untrue, and the thought of it scares them.
Lil Red Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='BG45' date='09 January 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1263067989' post='2033364'] Awesome reply. My big fear is actually falling in love and then having to end a relationship over contraception, because I won't live in mortal sin. [/quote] +JMJ+ what if you get married and your wife changes her mind?
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 10, 2010 Author Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='Lil Red' date='09 January 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1263092371' post='2033622'] +JMJ+ what if you get married and your wife changes her mind? [/quote] Do you mean that you get married and then your wife changes to a contraceptive mindset or do you mean that you marry a woman with a contraceptive mindset and through your refusal to have contracepted sex (or other moral solution, I know we've discussed this before), you end up converting her?
Lil Red Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='09 January 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1263092531' post='2033627'] Do you mean that you get married and then your wife changes to a contraceptive mindset or do you mean that you marry a woman with a contraceptive mindset and through your refusal to have contracepted sex (or other moral solution, I know we've discussed this before), you end up converting her? [/quote] +JMJ+ either. both. i actually was speaking of the first situation you presented.
BG45 Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='Lil Red' date='09 January 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1263092371' post='2033622'] +JMJ+ what if you get married and your wife changes her mind? [/quote] In that case, I guess we won't be consummating the marriage often, if at all.
MissyP89 Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='09 January 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1263092531' post='2033627'] Do you mean that you get married and then your wife changes to a contraceptive mindset or do you mean that you marry a woman with a contraceptive mindset and through your refusal to have contracepted sex (or other moral solution, I know we've discussed this before), you end up converting her? [/quote] "Other moral solution?" You have my interest. Do you by chance have a link to the thread you discussed it all before in? I'd like to check it out.
mcts Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='10 January 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1263101846' post='2033758'] "Other moral solution?" You have my interest. Do you by chance have a link to the thread you discussed it all before in? I'd like to check it out. [/quote] yeah, I definitely want to see that.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 10, 2010 Author Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='10 January 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1263101846' post='2033758'] "Other moral solution?" You have my interest. Do you by chance have a link to the thread you discussed it all before in? I'd like to check it out. [/quote] I believe the thread was destroyed with the NFP phorum. I'd ask Fr. Cappie this question: "if my spouse chooses to contracept and I'm against it, is it cooperation in my spouse's sin for us to have sex? What if the contraception is abortifacient?" By the way, the answer that I'm recalling may well be fuzzy in my mind. I'm not a fan of moral theology...it's by far the most difficult branch of theology for me.
Sternhauser Posted January 10, 2010 Posted January 10, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' date='10 January 2010 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1263105003' post='2033783'] I believe the thread was destroyed with the NFP phorum. I'd ask Fr. Cappie this question: "if my spouse chooses to contracept and I'm against it, is it cooperation in my spouse's sin for us to have sex? What if the contraception is abortifacient?" By the way, the answer that I'm recalling may well be fuzzy in my mind. I'm not a fan of moral theology...it's by far the most difficult branch of theology for me. [/quote] Raphael, as you probably know, all hormonal contraception is abortifacient as a second means of operation. It would be immoral to risk conception with a woman you know is on hormonal contraception. However, in cases of marital rape, or in absolutely grave cases when the husband is truly, completely and deliberately failing in their most basic duties as a husband, it is no longer a conjugal act, and therefore non-abortifacient contraception may be used. That is what I was taught by a very orthodox priest. As a severe disclaimer, I would not suggest that anyone undertake such measures without seriously and soberly consulting with their own confessor. ~Sternhauser Edited January 10, 2010 by Sternhauser
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 10, 2010 Author Posted January 10, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 January 2010 - 01:33 AM' timestamp='1263105222' post='2033789'] Raphael, as you probably know, all hormonal contraception is abortifacient as a second means of operation. It would be immoral to risk conception with a woman you know is on hormonal contraception. However, in cases of marital rape, or in absolutely grave cases when the husband is truly, completely and deliberately failing in their most basic duties as a husband, it is no longer a conjugal act, and therefore non-abortifacient contraception may be used. That is what I was taught by a very orthodox priest. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Yes, I was aware of the abortifacient part, wanted to make sure they took the time to ask the question since I wasn't going to go into a long explanation. I still recommend they ask Fr. Cappie. He's very skilled in moral theology and will do the best job explaining.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now