BG45 Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 http://blogs.forbes.com/sciencebiz/2010/01/obamacare-why-private-insurers-like-paying-for-abortion/ [quote]Abortion has emerged again as a key sticking point in negotiations over healthcare reform. The House wants to ban new government-funded plans from covering abortion at all, while the Senate will require patients pay separate premiums with their own money for abortion as a supplemental benefit. The fuss has exposed what's been a fairly quiet practice: most health plans now pay for abortions, no questions asked. Why? It saves lots of money. ... "A first trimester abortion is $300 to $450," Nugent says. "But if the gestational age is higher you're paying for a surgical suite. That's why the insurance companies think they should be offering it. It's cheaper to terminate an unwanted pregnancy rather than taking it to term." Health Care Blue Book confirms the price difference. An abortion performed in an physician's office typically costs $397. A vaginal delivery costs $5,992, while a c-section is $8,558. (These are estimates based on the site's database of in-network charges negotiated by insurers.)[/quote] Utilitarianism. Apparently you can place a cost on human life.
add Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 [code]The fuss has exposed what's been a fairly quiet practice: most healthplans now pay for abortions, no questions asked. Why? It saves lots ofmoney.[/code] Okay, that may be true, but don't ask me to help. [img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/youpay.jpg[/img]
CatherineM Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 I hadn't thought about that. I guess a thousand or so is cheaper than paying for a regular delivery.
Norseman82 Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 Another thing to keep in mind is that some states may require insurers to pay for abortions.
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 I love abortion and I'm not an insurer. Just putting that out there.
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 I'm all dashing like a Civil War general.
Winchester Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 I can sort of see that. Modernized. Like you stepped through a portal at Antietam or the Alamo or New Brunswick.
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 Those were the days. Honestly though I'm just too lazy to keep them gone.
Winchester Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 But you trim them, right? The overall look works, regardless of the reason. You could be anything: a biker, a religious zealot, a redneck, a DEA agent undercover... but a quick wash and brush and you're the artist in the coffeehouse.
Happy_Catholic Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 What I find annoying about abortion is how the pro-aborts are all like "Keep your laws offa my body! The government needs to MYOB" yet then they turn around and expect the govt. to pay for them! I have the right to a lambo, its my right to choose to get a lambo, but I don't expect the govt to fork out half a mill for one.
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 I never even touch them except when they start to curl, and then I usually just slash them with a steak knife. I had hair halfway down my back for years and it usually covered them, so I guess I'm just not used to them being this apparent. Feedback has been largely indifferent though, yeah...
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 [quote]What I find annoying about abortion is how the pro-aborts are all like "Keep your laws offa my body! The government needs to MYOB" yet then they turn around and expect the govt. to pay for them! I have the right to a lambo, its my right to choose to get a lambo, but I don't expect the govt to fork out half a mill for one.[/quote] While I agree that abortions shouldn't be funded by the government, you have to admit that this analogy is absolutely ridiculous.
Ed Normile Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 [quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='08 January 2010 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1263006696' post='2032929'] While I agree that abortions shouldn't be funded by the government, you have to admit that this analogy is absolutely ridiculous. [/quote] Not really, its a little far off price wise but it basically says how can you truly say you want the government mandates out of your personal choices about your body, but then expect that very government to pay for your choices. Lets say you wanted to lose the 50's rebel biker look and thought the government should pay for your haircut and nose hair trim, would you be upset if the government passed a law saying you also had to cut your ear hair growth and keep your palms shorn as well? In reality you should not expect the government to pay for your for your ear hair removal if you do not want them to get involved with your palm waxing at the same time. ed
dominicansoul Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 [quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='08 January 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1263005184' post='2032854'] I love abortion. [/quote] which part? the scissors stabbing into the base of the neck or the sucking out of the infants brain? creep
Nihil Obstat Posted January 9, 2010 Posted January 9, 2010 Government paying for abortions seems to me to be the same as the government paying for laser tattoo removal- except infinitely more evil of course. Even from the pro abortion camp it makes little sense. In their perspective, the government is paying to get you out of a choice you made yourself. Obviously there's the most significant issue of murder involved too.
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='dominicansoul' date='09 January 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1263069773' post='2033378'] which part? the scissors stabbing into the base of the neck or the sucking out of the infants brain? creep [/quote] in⋅fant [in-fuhnt] –noun 1. a child during the earliest period of its life, esp. before he or she can walk; baby. -- fe⋅tus [fee-tuhs] Show IPA –noun, plural -tus⋅es. Embryology. (used chiefly of viviparous mammals) the young of an animal in the womb or egg, esp. in the later stages of development when the body structures are in the recognizable form of its kind, in humans after the end of the second month of gestation. see also: <a href=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic>idiot</a> [quote name='Ed Normile' date='09 January 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1263069520' post='2033377'] Not really, its a little far off price wise but it basically says how can you truly say you want the government mandates out of your personal choices about your body, but then expect that very government to pay for your choices. Lets say you wanted to lose the 50's rebel biker look and thought the government should pay for your haircut and nose hair trim, would you be upset if the government passed a law saying you also had to cut your ear hair growth and keep your palms shorn as well?[/quote] Well, first and foremost, I think you missed the part where I said I don't think abortions should ever be funded by the government, I simply called the analogy with the car absurd. Your haircut one is also inane, but nowhere near that bad. Be proud!
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Oh ffs why can't I edit posts and why is HTML disabled -_-
sidemunch88 Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='apparently' date='08 January 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1262995134' post='2032713'] [code]The fuss has exposed what's been a fairly quiet practice: most healthplans now pay for abortions, no questions asked. Why? It saves lots ofmoney.[/code] Okay, that may be true, but don't ask me to help. [img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/wisper3/youpay.jpg[/img] [/quote] Wow and to think i am defending this country so people can have abortion covered in their health care. Makes me pissed off
Guest ZeweInAeternum Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Well, if the whole medicare bill ever works out, in its defense, I would indeed support government-funded abortions, and I don't see how you can possibly be opposed to that given those circumstances.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now