An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missionaries Of The Eucharist

MithLuin

• 10 months later...

*bump*

So, who wants to go for a walk?

The Missionaries of the Eucharist are accepting applications for the Summer Walk this year, so if you are interested, please do check out their website and contact them.

This year's leader is Martha, a veteran of the 2009 and 2010 walks and graduating senior from the Franciscan University of Steubenville. :)

This year's Walk will last from June 27th - August 12th. http://blog.themoes.us/

Interest form: http://www.themoes.us/2011-summer-walk1/

Edited by MithLuin

Yeah, it works better for people who are students with summers offer, or people between jobs, applying to grad school, etc. Most people aren't able to take a month off from work, though teachers have the luxury of time off in the summers....

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

That is aw[i]e[/i]some Shana! The MoEs are amazing. Good luck and God speed!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad you're doing the Walk this year, [b]Shana[/b]! I wish you all the best in your preparations, and pray that it will go well for you and your fellow walkers. :)

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1306615975' post='2247141']
I'm so glad you're doing the Walk this year, [b]Shana[/b]! I wish you all the best in your preparations, and pray that it will go well for you and your fellow walkers. :)
[/quote]

Thanks! I just found out yesterday that a young man who just became a seminarian for my diocese (Ogdensburg- the diocese of Northern NY) will be doing the walk with me. I don't know him personally but one of my friends who's an Ogdensburg seminarian as well let me know this when I saw him while we were all at my friend's ordination to the transitional diaconate.

That's great! I'm so excited to hear about new Walkers taking the torch and continuing the beautiful tradition that is the MOEs :clapping:

Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity to meet you all this summer!

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1306798110' post='2247834']
Does anyone know if they are actually walking to DC this summer? The website says New York..... and I noticed their timeframe is shorter, didn't they start in May last year?
(I live in DC, so if they are in fact only going up till New York, I'll have to figure something out.)
[/quote]

The MoE's are walking to NYC this year.

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1306800492' post='2247846']
Do you know why this has changed from previous years?
[/quote]

Not exactly, but I'm under the impression that at some point before the MoE's walked just from Maine to NYC.

Edited by Shana

Two years ago, they did the shorter Walk (Maine to NYC) because of two weddings involving former MOEs that summer - the Director of the MOEs who was planning the Walk was one of the people getting married, so that was just how it had to be.

This year, I imagine World Youth Day in August might have played a role in shortening the Walk, though that is merely a guess on my part. It is possible that someone involved in planning/training was not available until later in June, so they went with the 6 week walk rather than the full 10 week walk. Since I wasn't involved in planning, I don't really know.

But as for getting back to DC, the easiest way is to take a bus (such as BOLT). It is inexpensive and nice. Also, there will likely be other people on the Walk headed back that way, though I don't know that for sure. You will be staying in Brooklyn in NYC at the final stop on the Walk, and it's a short walk to the public transportation from there (subway trains). So, getting to where you need to go in the city to get home (to catch a bus, train or even plane) shouldn't be a problem. Obviously, ask Martha, the director of the Walk, any questions you might have about traveling home afterward. The MOEs are very good about getting people where they need to be - no one is going to leave you stranded in NYC!

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Coralie[/b], do you know if you'll be able to do the Walk this summer?

Just a few weeks left til it begins! If I could request prayers, for this years Walkers, their host families, and the many people they will meet in their journeys, that will be greatly appreciated.