Archaeology cat Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [url="http://catholicvoteaction.org/blog/amp/index.php?p=385"]Link[/url] [quote]Monday mornings can be bleak so here’s a nice story to kick-start the week: Family man Mark Wahlberg says he makes time not just for one date night a week, but two. The handsome star of The Departed tells UK’s Cosmopolitan magazine that he and his wife Rhea Durham, who are expecting baby #4, still manage to keep the spark alive. … Mark, 38, goes on to reveal that his very first date with Rhea was not at a posh restaurant or glitzy nightclub, but to church! “We met through a mutual friend in New York. I asked if she wanted to hang out the next day and she did, so I said, ‘Well, come to church with me.’ She was raised a Christian, not a Catholic like me. She did come – and now she’s converted.” (Celebrity Baby Scoop) There. Wasn’t that nice?[/quote] Maybe dUSt should invite him to Phatmass.
aalpha1989 Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Wait... how long has he been a practicing Catholic? He got married in August '09 but already has three kids with this woman, the first being born in '03.
Archaeology cat Posted January 11, 2010 Author Posted January 11, 2010 OK, so didn't catch that part.
aalpha1989 Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Well he seems 'into' his faith... the wikipedia article on him says that he has a rosary tattooed around his neck and he considers it his most "meaningful" tattoo... just the timeline is a let down. *sigh*... I mean I guess he's found true meaning in the faith, but maybe hasn't accepted it entirely. As in... Cafeteria Catholic?
CatherineM Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 He's from Massachusetts, so he only has cafeteria Catholics as examples. For Hollywood though, he's head and shoulders.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 Or maybe he had a bit of a mini conversion and decided to turn his life around, starting by getting married.
Moosey Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 January 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1263243249' post='2034996'] Or maybe he had a bit of a mini conversion and decided to turn his life around, starting by getting married. [/quote] This.
Lil Red Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 January 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1263243249' post='2034996'] Or maybe he had a bit of a mini conversion and decided to turn his life around, starting by getting married. [/quote] +JMJ+ from what i've read, this is it. we should be glad that he is trying to follow his faith. 'there but for the grace of God go I'
Nihil Obstat Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 By most accounts it sounds like he used to be quite the jerk.
Ash Wednesday Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 I've gotten the impression that, like many of us, his devotion over the years has waxed and waned...but I've always enjoyed his persistent interest in his Catholic background. He strikes me as being one of those guys that embodies the spirit of "once Catholic, always Catholic!" I'm happy to hear he got married.
CatherineM Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 January 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1263245633' post='2035016'] By most accounts it sounds like he used to be quite the jerk. [/quote] A lot of us are like that in our youths. Thank God most of us get to live long enough to outgrow it.
mommas_boy Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 (edited) You know, good Catholics can and do still make mistakes. that's why God gave us confession! Edited January 11, 2010 by mommas_boy
Norseman82 Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 (edited) [quote name='mommas_boy' date='11 January 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1263250667' post='2035053'] You know, good Catholics can and do still make mistakes. that's why God gave us confession! [/quote] 3 kids out of wedlock is not a simple "mistake".... But at least he's out of circulation now and won't be defiling any more women (at least I hope not). Edited January 11, 2010 by Norseman82
mommas_boy Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 (edited) Hmm. Looks like I misread. I had thought that only one was born out of wedlock. I didn't see that the two were still newlyweds. Still, as someone else pointed out, "There too, but for the grace of God, go I." Edited January 11, 2010 by mommas_boy
homeschoolmom Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 See, I always get Mark Wahlberg: [img]http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/mark-wahlberg-shooter-los-angeles-premiere-4ANKEu.jpg[/img] and Mark Walberg: [img]http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/M_R/Mi_Mp/MomentOfTruth/Season1/moment-truth02.jpg[/img] mixed up... And since I watch Antiques Roadshow a lot, I thought of the latter, but we are talking about the former... okay.
Jesus_lol Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 [quote name='Norseman82' date='11 January 2010 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1263251520' post='2035061'] 3 kids out of wedlock is not a simple "mistake".... But at least he's out of circulation now and won't be defiling any more women (at least I hope not). [/quote] rude.
Old_Joe Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 I liked his acting in the movie "The Happening."
Sojourner Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 God graciously offers forgiveness and reconciliation even for egregious sins. Mr. Wahlberg has sinned in his lifetime (haven't we all??). But it is definitely encouraging to see him making steps toward rectifying the situation, and to see him openly treasuring his faith. It is a testimony to the fact that he, like the rest of us, is on a journey of conversion and growth in faith and obedience. Perhaps rather than focusing on his past sins (which, for all we know, have quite possibly been absolved) we could celebrate the evidence of grace in his life and that of his family. I think it's wonderful, for example, that he has influenced his wife to convert to the faith. Perhaps we can all pray for his and his family's continuing conversion and growth, particularly since he holds such a position of cultural influence.
CatherineM Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='11 January 2010 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1263257635' post='2035094'] God graciously offers forgiveness and reconciliation even for egregious sins. Mr. Wahlberg has sinned in his lifetime (haven't we all??). But it is definitely encouraging to see him making steps toward rectifying the situation, and to see him openly treasuring his faith. It is a testimony to the fact that he, like the rest of us, is on a journey of conversion and growth in faith and obedience. Perhaps rather than focusing on his past sins (which, for all we know, have quite possibly been absolved) we could celebrate the evidence of grace in his life and that of his family. I think it's wonderful, for example, that he has influenced his wife to convert to the faith. Perhaps we can all pray for his and his family's continuing conversion and growth, particularly since he holds such a position of cultural influence. [/quote] Agree completely. I hope he has put movies like "Boogie Nights" behind him forever.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='11 January 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1263257635' post='2035094'] God graciously offers forgiveness and reconciliation even for egregious sins. Mr. Wahlberg has sinned in his lifetime (haven't we all??). But it is definitely encouraging to see him making steps toward rectifying the situation, and to see him openly treasuring his faith. It is a testimony to the fact that he, like the rest of us, is on a journey of conversion and growth in faith and obedience. Perhaps rather than focusing on his past sins (which, for all we know, have quite possibly been absolved) we could celebrate the evidence of grace in his life and that of his family. I think it's wonderful, for example, that he has influenced his wife to convert to the faith. Perhaps we can all pray for his and his family's continuing conversion and growth, particularly since he holds such a position of cultural influence. [/quote] For serious.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now