An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mark Wahlberg

Archaeology cat

HisChildForever

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1263523202' post='2037373']
And if you read my original remark you will see that I expressed relief that he is no longer behaving as he did.

We have to be careful not to give blind "hero worship" to just anyone who claims to be Catholic.
[/quote]

No, no, no. I'm asking you what good it does, or what good fruits it produces, to call a non-virgin "defiled" who has already been to Confession.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1263526046' post='2037419']
No, no, no. I'm asking you what good it does, or what good fruits it produces, to call a non-virgin "defiled" who has already been to Confession.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
i'm outta positives. :( i already gave you half of mine in just this thread.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lil Red' date='14 January 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1263526290' post='2037421']
+JMJ+
i'm outta positives. :( i already gave you half of mine in just this thread.
[/quote]

:woot:

Fornication has clearly had a markedly negative effect in the present day ... but I think you'd be hard-pressed to make a historically sound argument that the problem today is solely due to fornication, or even to societal acceptance of fornication. A book I'm reading called [url="http://www.amazon.com/Decline-Males-Lionel-Tiger/dp/1582380147"]The Decline of Males[/url] cites statistics showing that in centuries past, up to half of marriages took place in the middle of a pregnancy. Throughout much of history, that number has been in the 30 to 40 percent range. Fornication and promiscuity are nothing new as societal phenomena.

What has changed is our response to it ... we no longer marry when there's a baby on the way. Instead, we increasingly turn to abortion, or a woman is left raising a child on her own while trying to coerce support from a sexual partner who believed his commitment was only to the pleasure of the moment. I think there are many reasons behind the shift we've seen in the last century, and that addressing that shift takes a more nuanced approach than picking on men and women who have had sex outside of marriage.

As human beings, we are always on the hunt for new and innovative ways to sin and to mitigate the consequences of our sin. The one constant throughout history is the redemption God graciously offers to us when we sin. Ranking sins is, in my opinion, a pointless exercise, and doesn't get at the heart of the issue. All sin damages our relationship with God, and our relationships with our fellow human beings. Through God's gracious forgiveness, these relationships can be restored.

Certainly fornication has lasting temporal consequences, many of which cannot be undone. This does not, however, negate redemption. God can and does bring hope and healing out of even the most heinous of sins. One would hope seeing evidence of redemption (either of temporal or eternal consequences) would bring about a reaction of thanksgiving for the greatness of God's goodness rather than a continued condemnation of the sin that made such redemption necessary.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='14 January 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1263524861' post='2037395']
assuming someone has commited a mortal sin after living 40 odd years, is akin to assuming they have eaten at least one hamburger. its not that presumptuous.
[/quote]

And you know everyone's soul? Do you have all the confessionals bugged? Making a false accusations is a sin. Be careful the waters you tread upon.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='14 January 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1263524861' post='2037395']
oooh! "special condemnation"?? you mean they go to "double-Hell" ?
[/quote]

Take it up with the Author.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1263538082' post='2037597']
And you know everyone's soul? Do you have all the confessionals bugged? Making a false accusations is a sin. Be careful the waters you tread upon.

Take it up with the Author.
[/quote]

i mostly tread on land actually. That is Jesus you are thinking of.

im just jesus_lol :P

no i dont know everyone's soul, but i have a pretty good impression of humanity as a whole, as i am sure you do (as you do make judgements yourself) and im pretty confident in saying everyone is a sinner, and considering that Jesus was the only one without sin, who died so that all of us who had committed mortal sins could go to heaven, and that before Jesus, no one went to heaven and without him no one will, yes i am certain that everyone commits a mortal sin at least once in life.

deal with it.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 02:44 AM' timestamp='1263541499' post='2037617']

no i dont know everyone's soul, but i have a pretty good impression of humanity as a whole, as i am sure you do (as you do make judgements yourself) and im pretty confident in saying everyone is a sinner, and considering that Jesus was the only one without sin, who died so that all of us who had committed mortal sins could go to heaven, and that before Jesus, no one went to heaven and without him no one will, [b]yes i am certain that everyone commits a mortal sin at least once in life.
[/b]
deal with it.
[/quote]

wow. You should read [i]Story of a Soul[/i]. There is also a pious tradition started by St. John Bosco that St. Dominic Savio never committed a mortal sin. I think there are a lot of people we don't know about who never committed mortal sins, not to mention the Mother of God and her most chaste spouse.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='15 January 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1263545543' post='2037635']
wow. You should read [i]Story of a Soul[/i]. There is also a pious tradition started by St. John Bosco that St. Dominic Savio never committed a mortal sin. I think there are a lot of people we don't know about who never committed mortal sins, not to mention the Mother of God and her most chaste spouse.
[/quote]

so correct me if im wrong, but would that mean they didnt need Jesus to get into heaven? or would venial sins mess that up?

so i probably shouldnt say everyone has committed a mortal sin, even if the exception is statistically almost completely negligible. i stand by saying that the "let those who are without sin, throw the first rock" is applicable to everyone here, including Norse.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 04:11 AM' timestamp='1263546677' post='2037636']
so correct me if im wrong, but would that mean they didnt need Jesus to get into heaven? or would venial sins mess that up?

so i probably shouldnt say everyone has committed a mortal sin, even if the exception is statistically almost completely negligible. i stand by saying that the "let those who are without sin, throw the first rock" is applicable to everyone here, including Norse.
[/quote]

No, they still need Jesus... the salvific grace is unavailable without His sacrifice on the cross.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 02:44 AM' timestamp='1263541499' post='2037617']

no i dont know everyone's soul, but i have a pretty good impression of humanity as a whole, as i am sure you do (as you do make judgements yourself) and im pretty confident in saying everyone is a sinner, and considering that Jesus was the only one without sin, who died so that all of us who had committed mortal sins could go to heaven, and that before Jesus, no one went to heaven and without him no one will, yes i am certain that everyone commits a mortal sin at least once in life.

deal with it.
[/quote]

Most normal people probably commit a mortal sin at least once in their lives, but, as aalpha said, there are probably many saints who never did so. :)

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='15 January 2010 - 01:50 AM' timestamp='1263549056' post='2037641']
Most normal people probably commit a mortal sin at least once in their lives, but, as aalpha said, there are probably many saints who never did so. :)
[/quote]

I agree with you, though i would probably change the first half to "...at least once a month" and the second half to "probably a couple saints..."

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 04:55 AM' timestamp='1263549305' post='2037642']
I agree with you, though i would probably change the first half to "...at least once a month" and the second half to "probably a couple saints..."
[/quote]

I'd actually tend to agree with you on that one.

I was just trying to be optimistic. :)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 January 2010 - 08:58 AM' timestamp='1263574712' post='2037752']
^ I really dislike your signature.
[/quote]

i read the second half of it as more of a statement of personal incompetence than anything.
:)