An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mark Wahlberg

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1263520563' post='2037340']
Or it may deter some from doing it in the first place.
[/quote]

You seriously think that your calling someone defiled because of a sin they have already done penance for is likely to deter others from committing the same sin? Sounds a little self-important to me, but whatever.

Maybe keep in mind that just as you will be held just as accountable for ways that your words might cause someone to despair as you would for encouraging another sin. And because final despair leads to damnation more surely than impurity, perhaps more. You have to find the proper balance there for yourself, not anyone else, but don't forget there is a balance.

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 January 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1263620055' post='2038221']
Just a thoughtb for all here who are berating Norseman for his use of the word defiled, let me add that in actual definition of the word he is right, perhaps this will help,

de·file[sup] 1[/sup] (d[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif[/img]-f[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gif[/img]l[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif[/img])[i]tr.v.[/i] [b]de·filed[/b], [b]de·fil·ing[/b], [b]de·files[/b] [b]1. [/b] To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.[b]2. [/b] To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.[b]3. [/b] To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).[b]4. [/b] To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.[b]5. [/b] To violate the chastity of.

The word has many uses, his use was not wrong as to his complicity in the act. We are to beleive that our souls are pure after baptism, when we sin we defile our souls. His use of the word may be reaching a bit in the sense of if the sex was consensual, then the woman defiled her own soul, for the male to have defiled her he would have to rape her, he definietly defiled his own soul though. When I sin I defile my soul, confession does reconcile me to the church with forgiveness, it does not remove the punishment I owe to God. When I sin I have stained my soul, I have polluted my soul, I have debased and corrupted my soul, I have profaned my soul, I have made my soul unclean, and yes I have defiled my soul.

ed[/quote]
+JMJ+
Repentance and Confession makes your soul clean again, through the grace and mercy of God.

wasn't it St. Faustina, after telling her confessor that she was seeing a vision of Jesus, was told to go ask Jesus what her sins were in her last confession. she did, and Jesus told her, I don't remember them?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Norseman82' date='16 January 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1263619608' post='2038211']
I thought I made it clear in post 57 that I was relieved that he wasn't behaving as he used to?
[/quote]

I think the discussion has become more broad, with less focus on Mark Wahlberg and more focus on sinners in general, specifically those who have succumbed to sexual sins.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1263520563' post='2037340']
Or it may deter some from doing it in the first place.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
actually it's more apt to make them think you are a self-righteous prig, than to look at their own actions. "just as i thought - all those self-righteous religious people, telling me what to do".

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='16 January 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1263619812' post='2038216']
I just think it could never hurt to set ten minutes or so aside to think about Christian charity and compassion.
[/quote]

Trust me, in this thread, I have, and some people here are very lucky I have held back over some of the snarky personal attacks.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='16 January 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1263620250' post='2038223']
You seriously think that your calling someone defiled because of a sin they have already done penance for is likely to deter others from committing the same sin? Sounds a little self-important to me, but whatever.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 January 2010 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1263620498' post='2038229']
+JMJ+
actually it's more apt to make them think you are a self-righteous prig, than to look at their own actions. "just as i thought - all those self-righteous religious people, telling me what to do".
[/quote]

Actually, when I was growing up, it taught us to mind our Ps and Qs.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1263620623' post='2038232']
Trust me, in this thread, I have, and some people here are very lucky I have held back over some of the snarky personal attacks.
[/quote]
I don't mean to imply anything about you. :) We can always do better- every one of us.

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1263620755' post='2038234']
Actually, when I was growing up, it taught us to mind our Ps and Qs.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
yes, but we're not talking ancient history ( :) it's a joke!). when you were growing up and the world now are vastly different. heck, the world is vastly different from when i was growing up! (not so much behind your time!) more and more people are growing up without religion, and are taught to be indifferent or hate religion and those self-righteous religious phreaks. we need to speak to their hearts, as each case merits. you seem to want to sledgehammer all cases the same, without realizing that every person needs spoken to in a different manner. you've already wounded some here with your tactics. meet people where their needs are, don't meet them with the only weapons you have available.

norse, over the years at phatmass, you have consistently been involved with these type of topics, over and over again. you have used harsh language over and over again, i think to the detriment of all involved. you and the majority of people on phatmass do not see eye-to-eye on this subject. (:rolleyes: understatement of the year) obviously you have been very hurt with your experiences in life when it comes to love and relationships, and my heart hurts for you. i will pray especially tonight for your healing.

God bless, :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='15 January 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1263621161' post='2038241']:) We can always do better- every one of us.[/quote]
+JMJ+
amen. :) you know, since praying the Divine Mercy chaplet, Jesus constantly reminds me, in every situation "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". :weep: sometimes i listen, and sometimes i don't.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 January 2010 - 12:58 AM' timestamp='1263621514' post='2038246']
+JMJ+
yes, but we're not talking ancient history ( :) it's a joke!). when you were growing up and the world now are vastly different. heck, the world is vastly different from when i was growing up! (not so much behind your time!) more and more people are growing up without religion, and are taught to be indifferent or hate religion and those self-righteous religious phreaks. we need to speak to their hearts, as each case merits. you seem to want to sledgehammer all cases the same, without realizing that every person needs spoken to in a different manner. you've already wounded some here with your tactics. meet people where their needs are, don't meet them with the only weapons you have available.

norse, over the years at phatmass, you have consistently been involved with these type of topics, over and over again. you have used harsh language over and over again, i think to the detriment of all involved. you and the majority of people on phatmass do not see eye-to-eye on this subject. (:rolleyes: understatement of the year) obviously you have been very hurt with your experiences in life when it comes to love and relationships, and my heart hurts for you. i will pray especially tonight for your healing.

God bless, :)
[/quote]

Well, I guess you're talent is good cop, mine is bad cop.

Now I gotta run and take my metamucil like all the other ancients who can't adjust to the 21st century.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 January 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1263620352' post='2038226']
+JMJ+
Repentance and Confession makes your soul clean again, through the grace of God.

wasn't it St. Faustina, after telling her confessor that she was seeing a vision of Jesus, was told to go ask Jesus what her sins were in her last confession. she did, and Jesus told her, I don't remember them?
[/quote]

Are you serious, you gotta read your catechism, We are forgiven by the church, reconciled with the church and brought back into the communion of saints , but we are not free from temporal punishment needed to purify our souls after death to make us worthy of being with God. We are not condemned to hell, we purify our souls in purgatory. We can receive indulgences from the church which will remove certain amounts of this temporal punishment, but we must purify our souls to be like the soul of a saint to go straight to heaven, I would say most people even maybe some saints spend time in purgatory, that is why it is so important we pray for these holy souls in purgatory. Ask your priest about the sacrament of Penance and temporal punishment and purification in purgatory where we expiate our sins.

ed

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1263621837' post='2038255']
Well, I guess you're talent is good cop, mine is bad cop.

Now I gotta run and take my metamucil like all the other ancients who can't adjust to the 21st century.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
you're a good man, charlie brown. :)

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 January 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1263621866' post='2038256']
Are you serious, you gotta read your catechism, We are forgiven by the church, reconciled with the church and brought back into the communion of saints , but we are not free from temporal punishment needed to purify our souls after death to make us worthy of being with God. We are not condemned to hell, we purify our souls in purgatory. We can receive indulgences from the church which will remove certain amounts of this temporal punishment, but we must purify our souls to be like the soul of a saint to go straight to heaven, I would say most people even maybe some saints spend time in purgatory, that is why it is so important we pray for these holy souls in purgatory. Ask your priest about the sacrament of Penance and temporal punishment and purification in purgatory where we expiate our sins.

ed
[/quote]
+JMJ+
:lol_pound:

ask my priest?! :lol_pound: that's a good one. :hehehe:

dude, i know about purgatory/temporal punishment and all that. thank you for implying i don't know my faith. i work for the church :rolleyes: look, i'm tired, i don't feel well. get off my back. i'm sorry my posts aren't too coherent after going to bed last night at 12:30, up at 2:30, up again at 4:30, up for the day at 7, going to work, being sick at work, coming home and being a wife and a mother.

i really need to pray for you right now. and pray for my patience level with you because i've just about had it with you, phorum wide.

Edited by Lil Red
grammatical error

[quote name='Lil Red' date='16 January 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1263622164' post='2038264']
+JMJ+
:lol_pound:

ask my priest?! :lol_pound: that's a good one. :hehehe:

dude, i know about purgatory/temporal punishment and all that. thank you for implying i don't know my faith. i work for the church :rolleyes: look, i'm tired, i don't feel well. get off my back. i'm sorry my posts are too coherent after going to bed last night at 12:30, up at 2:30, up again at 4:30, up for the day at 7, going to work, being sick at work, coming home and being a wife and a mother.

i really need to pray for you right now. and pray for my patience level with you because i've just about had it with you, phorum wide.
[/quote]

Thank you for your prayers, I thought we were having a discussion. Forgive me if I offended you, it certainly seemed by your post you implied we were free from the effects of our sin once we went to confession. I was thinking that if the wrong person read this they could get the idea that it just don't matter, all they have to do is confess and get a free pass to heaven. I would be all for that, but unfortunately that is not so, as you have confirmed with your retort, by the way when you added that you have " about had it with me phorum wide" I guess you are implying I have disagreed with you on other topics here? If so, I am sorry to have upset you there too, this was not my intent, dialogue is meant to enlighten and edify us to each others views and beliefs, we all have points of interest and we express them in settings like these.

ed