Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I Don't Want To Become Catholic


Recommended Posts

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

I don't want to convert is because it's easier to just sit back and slide by and stay in what I've been raised to believe....it's easier to sit in my ignorance, and pretend to believe those things I've been told about Catholics...but....I do know that that is the wrong thing to do to sit back and live in my ignorance, and not change for the better from the knowledge I've been given I don't want to...BUT I know that I can't, if the knowledge I've been given brings me to the point that I need to reconcile to the Catholic church, but that doesn't mean that I'll want to.


Do I [b]want[/b] to become Catholic? No!

Do I know that I [b]need[/b] to if it's revealed to me in my personal life that the Catholic church truly is the one true church? Yes!

So...while I may not want to become Catholic, I do know that I need to obey and not live in my ignorance.

PassionistF
Posted

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Apr 9 2004, 09:46 AM'] I don't want to convert is because it's easier to just sit back and slide by and stay in what I've been raised to believe....it's easier to sit in my ignorance, and pretend to believe those things I've been told about Catholics...but....I do know that that is the wrong thing to do to sit back and live in my ignorance, and not change for the better from the knowledge I've been given I don't want to...BUT I know that I can't, if the knowledge I've been given brings me to the point that I need to reconcile to the Catholic church, but that doesn't mean that I'll want to.


Do I [b]want[/b] to become Catholic? No!

Do I know that I [b]need[/b] to if it's revealed to me in my personal life that the Catholic church truly is the one true church? Yes!

So...while I may not want to become Catholic, I do know that I need to obey and not live in my ignorance. [/quote]
I read your entire post, a very open-minded and brave thing to write.

God Bless you.

Posted

I have heard of many converts to the Catholic faith who say that they were draged kicking and screaming by the fundamental truths that they couldn't deny any longer. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Scott Hahn one of those people?

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

[quote name='yiannii' date='Apr 9 2004, 07:51 AM'] I have heard of many converts to the Catholic faith who say that they were draged kicking and screaming by the fundamental truths that they couldn't deny any longer. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Scott Hahn one of those people? [/quote]
I think Kimberly was kicking and screaming more than Dr. Hahn was! LOL

homeschoolmom
Posted

M.B.A.... I cannot tell you how similiarly HS_Dad and I felt about this... We were kickers and screamers, too. I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to do it but being willing to do it if you need to. I think that is a pretty common feeling for converts who are already active in their churches (as opposed to converts who have no church background... but I could be completely wrong here and I am sure I will be corrected if I am... ;) ) Please know that you and B.A are in our prayers. At some point the kicking and screaming turned into complete desire for us... I pray that it will for you to.

--L

Posted

You sound like a lot of people who discern a vocation to the priesthood or religious life. Whenever God calls us out of our "comfort zone," when ever He calls us to abandon our dreams and our plans and follow His, it is difficult. But He provides.

Posted (edited)

God Bless!

Steps to becoming a Catholic ;) :
1.) Attack the Church with the things that we have heard against the Church :angry:
2.) Meet knowledgable Catholics that show us what is true about the Catholic Church :huh:
3.) Correct the errors of anti-Catholics that attack the Church :ph34r:
4.) Begin to see that the Catholic Church could be the True Church :o
5.) Start kicking and screaming... not wanting to be Catholic because it goes against everything we grew up hearing :angry:
6.) Realize that we are kicking and screaming because we are mad about being told so many errors when all we ever wanted was truth. <_<
7.) Join the Catholic Church <Party in Heaven is thrown in your honor> :angel::clap::balloons:
8.) Start being used by Christ to convert other family and friends for Christ. :saint:



God Bless & Love in Christ!
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk
cmotherofpirl
Posted

Amen Brother Iron!!!

Carson Weber
Posted

Just a quick note..

Properly speaking, those baptized Christians who come into full communion with the Church do not "convert" but rather are "reconciled." This is how the Church speaks officially.

This, however, does not preclude the fact that conversion is a lifelong process for each of us. We are constantly turning from sin and towards the Father through the Son in the Holy Spirit.

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

ROFLOL!

That's priceless, Ironmonk!

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Carson Weber' date='Apr 9 2004, 10:39 AM'] Just a quick note..

Properly speaking, those baptized Christians who come into full communion with the Church do not "convert" but rather are "reconciled."  This is how the Church speaks officially.

This, however, does not preclude the fact that conversion is a lifelong process for each of us.  We are constantly turning from sin and towards the Father through the Son in the Holy Spirit. [/quote]
Circumcision of the Heart!

Edited by Theoketos
Guest roosters lil' dove
Posted

Ironmonk,

Awesome thread! Mind if I print it?

Posted

[quote name='PassionistF' date='Apr 9 2004, 08:51 AM'] I read your entire post, a very open-minded and brave thing to write.

God Bless you. [/quote]
Agreed!!

Brother Adam
Posted

*Peaceful, silent smile on my face*



:)

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 9 2004, 07:57 AM'] M.B.A.... I cannot tell you how similiarly HS_Dad and I felt about this... We were kickers and screamers, too. I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to do it but being willing to do it if you need to. I think that is a pretty common feeling for converts who are already active in their churches (as opposed to converts who have no church background... but I could be completely wrong here and I am sure I will be corrected if I am... ;) ) Please know that you and B.A are in our prayers. At some point the kicking and screaming turned into complete desire for us... I pray that it will for you to.

--L [/quote]
I had much the same experience. I loved my church deeply, and didn't really want to leave it, but as I kept studying, thinking, and praying, I knew I was going to have to leave it. I put it off for a while, just because I didn't want to leave.

Truthfully, leaving was significantly harder than I'd thought it would be. For several weeks after starting to attend Mass, I sat in the back by myself and cried through most of the service. It really was awful, and I'm glad that's done now. But I felt so deeply convicted about the truth of the Catholic Church that I couldn't go back to the church I'd left. Every time I thought about it, I would remind myself that in going back, I was giving up the Eucharist, the Real Body and Blood of Christ ... so I had to stay.

The hard part has been communicating that conviction to people from my old church who simply don't understand. Just a couple of weeks ago, one of those friends e-mailed me and asked me, "I know you say you have deep convictions about the theology of the Catholic Church, but is leaving the body of {my former church} really worth it?"

Yes, it is worth it ... and I will pray you will discover this as well, Mrs. Bro. Adam.

mom25angels
Posted

God Bless you Mrs BA.
I kick and scream sometimes, too and I'm a "cradle" Catholic :)
I don't think God wants us to get to "comfortable" in our faith, He is constantly asking us to grow.

Sarah

Posted

Well I can say I wanted to become Catholic as well as needing to. I'm lucky in that regards, otherwise I probably wouldn't have become Catholic.

Brother Adam
Posted

I'll admit I had no interest in finding out anything about Catholicism is true. While I'm not Catholic, I'm ticked that I was told so many flat out lies. :ggggggggrrrrrrr:

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 10 2004, 07:08 AM'] I'll admit I had no interest in finding out anything about Catholicism is true. While I'm not Catholic, I'm ticked that I was told so many flat out lies. :ggggggggrrrrrrr: [/quote]
But to be fair, Bro. Adam... the people who told you those things about Catholicism weren't doing it knowingly. And I doubt they were doing it to be malicious. They did it out of ignorance. :blink: And while that doesn't make it much better, it softens the blow (at least for me). It's not okay to be ignorant, but most anti-Catholics think they are knowledgable. In fact, the worst anti-Catholics I've encountered at former Catholics. I think they feel that *they* were lied to by the Catholic Church. :angry: Catholicism is so complex that it really requires a good education to understand *why* things are the way they are. Protestantism is so much "simpler" and yet we have all kinds of bible study groups to understand it... hmmmm... what's wrong with this picture? :huh:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...