An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Are You Discerning?

laetitia crucis

Vocational Discernment  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been to a couple diocesan vocational discernment camps, in addition to praying and thinking about it on my own, and while I honestly think I'm called to marriage, I think becoming a permanent deacon later in life would be good.

brightsadness

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='03 February 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1265220870' post='2050489']
I think Pope Happycat would make a great Deacon.
[/quote]

Meow (yes)

• 9 months later...

Add me to the list of those who dicided to look into religious life just to get it over with. About a yr ago I really thought the Lord could be calling me but then got caught up with school and graduation. Now that I have graduated and have had more time to think about it I do think he is calling me to religous life (active/contemplative). One random thing that really struck me was when I was reading the sisters of life website (about a yr ago), it said that when Mother Theresa was asked how can a girl know when she has a religious vocation, her response was "she knows, she knows" That was like whoa!

Hinter dem Horizont

I'm discerning the priesthood but sometimes I would like to be a traditional Benedictine such as the ones at Clear Creak Monastery. I've been discerning for two years so far.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1265093215' post='2049566']
KPII - you bring up a really good point, that religious life should not be a retreat or escape from the world. But I think it can also work the other way as well. Sometimes I think that the whole process of discerning is too hard and I want to just give up and 'escape' back into the world and give up the whole idea of even thinking about religious life. Sounds funny I suppose, but [b]discernment of anything involves work[/b], and that can get tiring, boring, disheartening or whatever so the secret (if there is one) is perseverance in prayer and commitment to just keep trying to do God's will in all things. Prayers for your discernment and for freedom from 'the currents of life' :)
:pray:
[/quote]

Ahh, I miss [b]nunsense[/b] and [b]LC[/b]!

But, yes, sometimes it's much easier to [i]just not think about discernment[/i] - I've spent a lot of time doing that! ;)

I have discerned seriously only once. I'd been dating a guy for years, and knew he planned to propose to me at Christmas. I thought it would be cruel to saw 'no' to someone in that situation, so figured I had to figure out my answer ahead of time. The relationship wasn't terribly healthy, so I made sure it ended in September rather than continue (this was during my junior year of college). You know there's something wrong when your discernment includes thoughts like, 'Well, if I marry him, it will be like my penance on earth....." But I was glad I had made that decision, because when (years later) he married my best friend, I could honestly say that he was one guy I [i]knew[/i] I didn't want to marry!

But it's been a long time since I was in college...and I haven't seriously spent time asking God what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I mean, yes, sometimes, but not anything that could be called 'discernment.' I'm rather adrift.

I hang out here in Vocation Station because my sister is a novice, my cousin just took her final vows this past summer, and my dad's a permanent deacon. So, I have an interest in religious life as a family member and/or as a student of history, but....not personally. I'm a teacher in Catholic schools, but that's the only part of my life that feels 'set' at the moment.

Edited by MithLuin

abrideofChrist

[quote name='Shana' timestamp='1288977309' post='2185184']
You forgot "consecrated virginity" a.k.a. the order of virgins, and secular institutes I guess.
[/quote]
I think secular institutes are covered since members are the only "lay consecrated" people in our Church. Maybe lay dedicated should be added since they are not covered in the poll (consecration is conferred by Church and dedication is one giving private promises). Consecrated virgins are neither lay consecrated nor lay dedicated, so you're right in that they should be put up on the poll.

• 3 weeks later...
Studiumecclesiae

I've been attracted by the Contemplative Religious Life since my conversion, but I've been seriously considering joining a Religious Older about 3 years ago. Only a year ago I thought I might better be in a more Traditional Order. The Benedictines attract me most, just like you [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=11227"][color="#b4453b"]Hinter dem Horizont[/color][/url]. :nunpray:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1264916934' post='2048079']
I've discerned to become a religious sister (active/contemplative). There is one order I am especially fond of, but at this time, the vocation director thought it best that I spend a few more years out in the world before seriously discerning. After hearing this advice and finally accepting it as God's will, I have decided to return to school to get my Bachelor's degree even though it is not a requirement for entrance. I hope that if God is pointing me in a different way than religious life (like married life or single life), that my major will give a good start in a lucrative career that I love. I am very interested in becoming a social worker for Catholic Charities in the future and I'm taking up a volunteer position with them very soon.

I don't know what the future holds. At this point, I'm decidedly putting my vocation discernment on hold to concentrate on school. Meanwhile, I'm staying close to the Sacraments in case God tells me something different. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I totally forgot about this thread until someone bumped it up this morning. I changed my vote since my discernment has changed. I was discerning to be a Sister in an active/contemplative order but, through prayer and the help of God's grace, I discovered that I am not called to religious life. This was discovered through much heartache and was not without pain. For 4 years I truly thought that I was called to religious life. However, the last order I visited opened my eyes. Although I love that life very much, it was more of my desire after seeing the religious on retreat in 2007 that prompted my search. I think God allowed it so that I would know what was out there. Now, I'm feeling the pull to discern marriage. I'm not ready to date anyone yet, but the desire for marriage and family is very strong. I am also planning to go back into nursing after being scared away by an unsympathetic unit manager when I worked as a CNA in 2010. I know she was very wrong and I will not let her -- or anyone else for that matter -- take that dream away. God blessed me with a keen knowledge of healthcare, so, instead of becoming a Social Worker for Catholic Charities, I want to study to be a Labor & Delivery RN (after getting my Associates and Bachelor's in Nursing since it's required for that field) and then working my way up to the Master's program to become a Certified Nurse Midwife. I might even open my own Catholic Birthing and Fertility Center in the future that will allow pregnant mothers and those trying to conceive meet with an NFP teacher, priest, midwives, doulas, etc. I am also intrigued by water births. Home births are very neat, in my opinion, too. I'm very excited! :)

MM that sounds like an amazing idea. I seriously considered midwifery a few years ago - in my opinion it's one of the top amazing 'living saint' jobs a person can do! :)

I picked 'cloistered nun' - we don't have this distinction since every monastery is unique, but my monastery is very rural and we don't leave the (admitttedly very spacious) property except for necessary shopping or appointments. Speaking of cloistered, I've noticed that in monasteries where there are a lot of guests, the nuns' own interior sense of boundary and 'cloister' is much much stronger than in places where the rules are stricter but there aren't as many people. Let it not be said that the fewer outsiders you meet, the stronger you are. Some of the best and strongest monks and nuns I know are the ones who have to deal with guests and parishioners all day long.

And then I picked '3-5 years' and 'a good example'. While there was a nun theme in my life for the longest time (remember I got my dad to take me to see some sisters when I was 7 or 8? :)) it wasn't until I got to know the folks at St. John the Baptist in Essex that I realised it was a real possibility for me.

[b] • Which of these are you discerning (or have discerned)?[/b]

Religious Sister... (I just know and have received some roses from the Little Flower)

Holy Matrimony... (I am always open and would like to be married)

[b] • How long have you been seriously discerning your vocation?[/b]

0-2 years... (I've only been discerning 8 months)

[b] • What provoked your initial step into discerning your vocation?[/b]

I just "knew"... (I feel that Religious Sister is God's plan for my life and have received a few roses from the Little Flower)

[color=#000000][size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] A good example of a holy vocation being lived out... (From the Sisters I see at least once a week working joyfully and being kind [/font][/size][/color][color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and loving...)[/font][/color]

Edited by i<3LSOP

Divine Mercy 9999

I'm discerning to a cloistered vocation. I took a break, but am slowly starting to discern again. I've been discerning for about 4-5 years. I'm a convert and nuns/sisters have always had a "pull" for me. I posted this in the "you know you are a future nun when" thread, - I've had a couple of people approach me after mass or at adoration and ask me what order I'm part of . :idontknow: :nun2: :sos: