An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Are You Discerning?

laetitia crucis

Vocational Discernment  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was decerning Religious Preist for a good 4 3/4 Years but God showed me my Desire to Change the world was not going to be fullfilled as such and that I needed to take another road.

[quote name='Oremoose' timestamp='1327458821' post='2374793']
I was decerning Religious Preist for a good 4 3/4 Years but God showed me my Desire to Change the world was not going to be fullfilled as such and that I needed to take another road.
[/quote]

So who are you interested in?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1263589288' post='2037862']
I recently came across [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=22082&view=&hl=poll&fromsearch=1"]this post[/url] which has a poll asking "Which of these are you discerning, or already have chosen?". It originated in 2004, so I thought it'd be nice to see how the Vocation Station is doing five years later - with more choices listed. :saint: (Hope I covered them all..)

And it's also [url="http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2009/09-255.shtml"]National Vocations Awareness Week[/url]! :saint: [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/priest_halo.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sword.gif[/img] (Hmmm.. there should be a "nun/religious sister" icon, too!) I thought this would be a nice way to "celebrate". :yahoo:

So... anyone wanna take a survey/poll?

:detective: [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I feel so alone knowing that only about twenty other guys are here discerning the Religious life and Priesthood like me, and there are about eighty women discerning the Religious life. I'm not Napoleon Bonaparte. I feel very uncomfortable when outnumbered four to one... :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

But onto a more serious note, I'm discerning the Diocesan Priesthood, Franciscan Brothers Minor, Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (Don't be fooled: They're not technically Missionaries. They film at EWTN and go out on pilgrimages, but not in Africa or some place like that), the Franciscan Brothers of Peace, Knights of the Holy Eucharist, the Dominicans, Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (F.S.S.P.), and the Benedictine Monks at Clear Creek. At the moment I'm just not sure. I've been doing karate for eleven years, and if I join the Religious life I'll basically be giving it up, however, if I decide to do the Diocesan Priesthood I can be a black belt and have my own class. But, the Religious life is just so razzle dazzle. The Orders I list above are definitely worth the sacrifice, but the Diocesan Priesthood is so appealing in the first place. I know some Orders do karate, but the Orders I list above have a pretty tight schedule (Except for the Knights of the Holy Eucharist. They just about get weekends off!). A conundrum indeed...

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327475771' post='2374907']
But onto a more serious note, I'm discerning the Diocesan Priesthood, Franciscan Brothers Minor, Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (Don't be fooled: They're not technically Missionaries. They film at EWTN and go out on pilgrimages, but not in Africa or some place like that), the Franciscan Brothers of Peace, Knights of the Holy Eucharist, the Dominicans, Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (F.S.S.P.), and the Benedictine Monks at Clear Creek. At the moment I'm just not sure. I've been doing karate for eleven years, and if I join the Religious life I'll basically be giving it up, however, if I decide to do the Diocesan Priesthood I can be a black belt and have my own class. But, the Religious life is just so razzle dazzle. The Orders I list above are definitely worth the sacrifice, but the Diocesan Priesthood is so appealing in the first place. I know some Orders do karate, but the Orders I list above have a pretty tight schedule (Except for the Knights of the Holy Eucharist. They just about get weekends off!). A conundrum indeed...
[/quote]

It is a conundrum, I've felt the same way myself. Should I go by things I'm good at? Should I definitely not look into anything that does stuff I'm good at/enjoy? Does doing work I love mean I'm being selfish and not leaving all to follow Christ? Eventually I realised that loving a certain kind of lifestyle and/or work was a gift, not a temptation. I also realised that all choices have a sacrifice attached - you will have to give up stuff, whether that's karate or something else. The way, for me at least, to not get tied up in knots was to JUST focus on where I would be able to live the Gospel as perfectly as I'm capable of. The rest falls into place.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1327475484' post='2374905']
I feel so alone knowing that only about twenty other guys are here discerning the Religious life and Priesthood like me, and there are about eighty women discerning the Religious life. I'm not Napoleon Bonaparte. I feel very uncomfortable when outnumbered four to one... :P
[/quote]

Oh, deal...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327496301' post='2374940']
It is a conundrum, I've felt the same way myself. Should I go by things I'm good at? Should I definitely not look into anything that does stuff I'm good at/enjoy? Does doing work I love mean I'm being selfish and not leaving all to follow Christ? Eventually I realised that loving a certain kind of lifestyle and/or work was a gift, not a temptation. I also realised that all choices have a sacrifice attached - you will have to give up stuff, whether that's karate or something else. The way, for me at least, to not get tied up in knots was to JUST focus on where I would be able to live the Gospel as perfectly as I'm capable of. The rest falls into place.

Oh, deal...
[/quote]

I know. I am completely willing to give up karate for the Religious life. I just don't want to is all. But that's normal, I think. Nobody wants to give up vacations, the internet and other things like I would be if I joined the Franciscan Brothers Minor. And yet, their life is so great and so holy. I just wish I didn't have to give up vacations to Disney World. Isn't wearing a karate gi with a black belt a simple enough request? But no, apparently you have to actually *wear* the Habit at all times or something... :P

But seriously, I wouldn't like Communities if they didn't wear the Habit that often.

Oh, deal...
[/quote]

Nevermind

Edited by HopefulBride

Guest hermanita

That's it. When I met my Sisters vocation became quite specific: When I "grow up" I want to live the gospel as well as these particular women, following this charism and serving God and the Church in this community. Will there be sacrifices? Of course. But that comes to all of us as we live into (in my case rather awkwardly) "Thy Will, not mine, be done."

Oh, deal...
[/quote]

Que lastima, :hehe2:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

This is a razzle dazzle poll! So, I have wanted to be a Carmelite basically since I was 7 (it is a really long story), but I didn't start seriously discerning the religious life until about two years ago.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

What about semi-contemplative monks? I voted for religious priest and monk, but the Benedictine community I'm joining teaches high-school boys, so not exactly fully contemplative, but definitely not active (they still pray in community 4-5 times a day, silence within the cloister, not to mention the whole vow of stability thing ;)

and why isn't there a monk emoticon? :cry:

Edited by NazFarmer

[quote name='NazFarmer' timestamp='1327645146' post='2376077']
What about semi-contemplative monks? I voted for religious priest and monk, but the Benedictine community I'm joining teaches high-school boys, so not exactly fully contemplative, but definitely not active (they still pray in community 4-5 times a day, silence within the cloister, not to mention the whole vow of stability thing ;)

and why isn't there a monk emoticon? :cry:
[/quote]

A lot of us have been asking the same question. I think the demand isn't high enough.