An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Crucifix Above The Marriage Bed?

King's Rook's Pawn

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='18 January 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1263860302' post='2039896']
Mmm, it must be a lost in translation thing as I've had this discussion before with other non-NZLers.

But down here the room the toilet is in, we just call the toilet, the bathroom is where the bath/shower is.

So the image is on the back of the door of the toilet, as opposed to actually in the physical toilet bowl.

This image:
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_buW_aKzfBn4/SnjlAysZRQI/AAAAAAAAAxw/9c3D75c85s4/s400/jesus+smiling.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Ooo.. that picture of Jesus.. it kind of creeps me out a little bit. :twitch:

I think I prefer Jesus Crucified any day. Especially in the toilet/bathroom.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='18 January 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1263860302' post='2039896']
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_buW_aKzfBn4/SnjlAysZRQI/AAAAAAAAAxw/9c3D75c85s4/s400/jesus+smiling.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
This looks a little like Kevin Sorbo.

Jesus the Legendary Journeys
Tonight at 9pm

laetitia crucis

Mentos: The Freshmaker

:))

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 January 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1263864209' post='2039934']

Mentos: The Freshmaker

:))
[/quote]
Mentos fresh and full of eternal Life!

For a long time we had a framed print of the Creation of Man above our bed - after all that is what we were trying to do - create more men :). It may seem awkward to have images above your bed, but after thousands of years I hardly think sex is new to God (or even Mary). If it bothers you to have a crucifix above your bed, it isn't bothering God.

I also don't know any married couples who have only had sex in their bed.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='19 January 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1263860302' post='2039896']
Mmm, it must be a lost in translation thing as I've had this discussion before with other non-NZLers.

But down here the room the toilet is in, we just call the toilet, the bathroom is where the bath/shower is.

So the image is on the back of the door of the toilet, as opposed to actually in the physical toilet bowl.

[/quote]

I found this a bit confusing when I first came to Australia, because it always seemed a little crude to talk about going to the "toilet" instead of the bathroom, but the first time I asked to use the bathroom here, I was shown into a room that had a bath and a sink but no toilet! In Oz and NZ, the bathroom is very often separate from the toilet, which is often just a little room, sometimes with a sink, sometimes not, so one would use the toilet then go the the bathroom to wash their hands.

In Carmel they would refer to the toilet as either the HO (humble office) or the DO (domestic office) - very euphemistic indeed!

Now when I generally ask for the "restroom" and this seems to work ok.

I don't think I would like a crucifix in the toilet just because it seems sort of irreverent, especially after that TV show with Jerry Seinfeld's creator was aired (I don't remember the name of the show and never watched it again), where he urinated on a picture of Jesus that was in the bathroom - I just wouldn't like to make that kind of thing possible.

I think a crucifix over the bed would be fine if both of the spouses felt ok with it. If not, something like the tapestry sounds like a good idea.

By the way, would just like to add that, not only is it good to have a crucifix about the marriage bed, but it it also ideal for the marriage bed to be blessed. :)

[quote name='CatherineM' date='18 January 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1263866042' post='2039945']
We have an autographed photo of David Letterman in our bathroom, no crucifixes. That would feel weird.
[/quote]
If I had an autographed picture of Jay Leno I would put it in the bathroom. :)

Photos of living persons are a bit different, because I know they can't see me. The saints are with you everywhere, however. lol, a great cloud of witnesses in the bathroom! Actually, I do have a crucifix in my bedroom, several rosaries, lots of devotional material, and some holy cards and other various sacramentals. But I keep them on flat surfaces.

Re: Bro Adam - yeah...it is weird in any other part of the house; iconography is everywhere in some shape or form.

Anyway, I know it is silly. I just have to shrug past it. Still awkward, though.

rhetoricfemme

We don't have a crucifix above our bed. I could only imagine it being wrong if it were above the bed of non-married folks who choose to romp around. Yeah, that sounds bad.

God sees you regardless of whether there's a crucifix in your room or not, and he invented sex so I'd think he'd be okay with it. I would, however, be more than a bit creeped out if the crucifix had a face like the one in Happy_Catholic's toilet.

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='18 January 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1263867802' post='2039955']
We don't have a crucifix above our bed. I could only imagine it being wrong if it were above the bed of non-married folks who choose to romp around. Yeah, that sounds bad.
[/quote]
Wow, I hadn't thought about that. I'd feel like I was really tempting fate.

KnightofChrist

Traditionally Catholics place Crucifixes over all the beds.

Edited by KnightofChrist