An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Crucifix Above The Marriage Bed?

King's Rook's Pawn

cmotherofpirl

Yep, most catholic couples have a crucifix over their bed or on the facing wall. God needs to be a visible part of the marriage.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='18 January 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1263861317' post='2039910']
Really? Somewhere I read that when you die on a cross you would lose your bowel contents as the outflow muscles relaxed.
[/quote]
I hear heart attacks are extremely common while mounted on the commode. :mellow:

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='18 January 2010 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1263860302' post='2039896']
Mmm, it must be a lost in translation thing as I've had this discussion before with other non-NZLers.

But down here the room the toilet is in, we just call the toilet, the bathroom is where the bath/shower is.

So the image is on the back of the door of the toilet, as opposed to actually in the physical toilet bowl.

This image:
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_buW_aKzfBn4/SnjlAysZRQI/AAAAAAAAAxw/9c3D75c85s4/s400/jesus+smiling.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Yeah. It's not only NZL... it's used in Britain as well. Lawl. That image I've seen photoshopped to have him holding Mentos.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='18 January 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1263864060' post='2039933']
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_buW_aKzfBn4/SnjlAysZRQI/AAAAAAAAAxw/9c3D75c85s4/s400/jesus+smiling.jpg[/img]

Jesus the Legendary Journeys
Tonight at 9pm
[/quote]
Lawl.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 January 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1263864209' post='2039934']

Mentos: The Freshmaker

:))
[/quote]
See! I'm not crazy!

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 January 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1263863735' post='2039929']
Ooo.. that picture of Jesus.. it kind of creeps me out a little bit. :twitch:

I think I prefer Jesus Crucified any day. Especially in the toilet/bathroom.
[/quote]

You should of seen the one in the study. It's of Jesus looking pretty surly/disappointed after Peter denied him. Its got that whole "I wouldn't do that if I were you" accusation thing going on.

I tried to find it on Google, but when I started hitting images that would make a sailor cringe I had to call it quits. :shock:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='18 January 2010 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1263860302' post='2039896']
Mmm, it must be a lost in translation thing as I've had this discussion before with other non-NZLers.

But down here the room the toilet is in, we just call the toilet, the bathroom is where the bath/shower is.

So the image is on the back of the door of the toilet, as opposed to actually in the physical toilet bowl.

This image:
[/quote]

... :mellow: ...

That's just creepy.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='18 January 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1263871656' post='2039981']
Yep, most catholic couples have a crucifix over their bed or on the facing wall. God needs to be a visible part of the marriage.
[/quote]

But what if it just makes you uncomfortable? You can't help how you feel. And what about people who wear Brown Scapulars? They're never supposed to take those off.

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='19 January 2010 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1263884393' post='2040073']
But what if it just makes you uncomfortable? You can't help how you feel. And what about people who wear Brown Scapulars? They're never supposed to take those off.
[/quote]

The marital embrace is a very holy thing, so I don't see why one would want to take off his scapular while engaging in that sacred act.

King's Rook's Pawn

[img]http://secularsociety.calpoly.edu/buddy_christ.jpg[/img]

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='19 January 2010 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1263884493' post='2040074']
The marital embrace is a very holy thing, so I don't see why one would want to take off his scapular while engaging in that sacred act.
[/quote]

But you can't help how you feel. Even if it's irrational. I'd want a feeling of privacy during such an intimate time and I just wouldn't like the idea. Come to think of it, I'd also feel uncomfortable if, say, a big picture of my parents or my in-laws was overlooking the bed as well. Maybe it's just me, but what can I do?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='19 January 2010 - 02:11 AM' timestamp='1263885116' post='2040079']
But you can't help how you feel. Even if it's irrational. I'd want a feeling of privacy during such an intimate time and I just wouldn't like the idea. Come to think of it, I'd also feel uncomfortable if, say, a big picture of my parents or my in-laws was overlooking the bed as well. Maybe it's just me, but what can I do?
[/quote]

You can help how you feel, it is irrational. You have no privacy when it comes to God anyway, and you can get over it.

Archaeology cat

Well, our crucifix is in the dining room, where I can see it all the time. :)) Interestingly, my Baptist grandparents had a crucifix above their bed.

KeenanParkerII

Well um.. Why not just put it kind of near the bed, but like sort of over.. I know it's fine, but I would somehow still feel awkward. <__<

Can you lust over your wife??

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='19 January 2010 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1263884493' post='2040074']
[/quote]

My medal might as well be a permanent body part, now. I have a 7-way scapular medal on an adjustable neck-cord. It never comes off. Ever.

[img]http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/images/catalog/large/S1477.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='18 January 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1263866042' post='2039944']
By the way, would just like to add that, not only is it good to have a crucifix about the marriage bed, but it it also ideal for the marriage bed to be blessed. :)
[/quote]

lol, Res, you're awesome.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='CatherineM' date='18 January 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1263868680' post='2039960']
Wow, I hadn't thought about that. I'd feel like I was really tempting fate.
[/quote]
I know! It just... Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Actually, I remember looking at Christmas lights one year and we passed by this huge house that was set far back on its lawn. Their huge picture window was open and all you could see in the living room was a massive crucifix. I mean, like, nearly life-sized. All I could think was, "There probably isn't any sinning going on in that house..."

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='18 January 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1263871656' post='2039981']
[/quote]
Hah, at first I thought you meant that the crucifix is facing inward toward the wall. And I was wondering how that would work. And maybe so wall-Jesus doesn't have to watch? I mean that's just courtesy, right?

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='19 January 2010 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1263884393' post='2040073']
[/quote]
I don't think I'd mind too much. The couple is partaking in something sacred that God created for them, so that's sweet. But I certainly see the other side of the argument. It must be a mood thing.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='19 January 2010 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1263888321' post='2040087']
Well, our crucifix is in the dining room, where I can see it all the time. :)) Interestingly, my Baptist grandparents had a crucifix above their bed.
[/quote]
I don't think it was until I was in high school that I realized the crucifix is technically a Catholic thing. It makes perfect sense as a normal part of the Christian institution, and I think that if some folks didn't have their negative thoughts on Catholicism, there'd probably be more crucifixes mounted on walls out there. It's neat that your Baptist grandparents kept one. :)

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='19 January 2010 - 05:55 AM' timestamp='1263898538' post='2040104']
Can you lust over your wife??
[/quote]
I've been wondering this lately!!! Can one lust after their spouse?

Edited by rhetoricfemme