An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn

Domine ut Videam

Domine ut Videam

Hey pham,

Cardinal Schönborn is coming to visit my college on the 31st to say Mass and give a talk. Before the announcement that he was coming I had never heard of him. Since the announcement I've heard great things about him, but still don't know much. I'm so excited that a sitting Cardinal is coming and was wondering if any knew any cool factoids about him or knew any good stories. Thanks so much!

Under Mary's Mantle,
Lauren

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='21 January 2010 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1264113118' post='2041844']
Hey pham,

Cardinal Schönborn is coming to visit my college on the 31st to say Mass and give a talk. Before the announcement that he was coming I had never heard of him. Since the announcement I've heard great things about him, but still don't know much. I'm so excited that a sitting Cardinal is coming and was wondering if any knew any cool factoids about him or knew any good stories. Thanks so much!

Under Mary's Mantle,
Lauren
[/quote]

Hi Lauren,
You are very lucky! Schonborn is one of the most prominent Cardinals. He is the archbishop of Vienna, Austria. He has been considered a possible candidate for the papacy itself though was probably too young to make it in the last conclave. He was the Director of the project which produced the Catechism we use today. He comes from the Dominican order. He has a great command of languages and can speak German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, and Latin.

Here is a timeline of his life:

1945 Jan 22 Born in Skalsko, in what is now the Czech Republic
1945 Sep Family moves back to Austria
1963 At 18, Joined the Dominicans (Order of Preachers), Walberberg, Bonn, Germany
1970 Dec 27 At 25, Ordained Priest by Franz Cardinal König
1971 Received licentiate in theology
1973-1975 Chaplain at the University of Graz
1974 Received doctorate in theology
1975-1991 Professor for Dogmatic Theology of the University of Fribourg, Switzerland
1980-1984 Member of the Swiss Commission for Dialogue between Roman Catholics and Christians
1980-1987 Member of the Orthodox-Roman Catholic Dialogue Commission of Switzerland
1980-1991 Member of the Theological Commission of the Swiss Bishop's Conference
1980-Present Member of the International Commission of Theologians
1984 Member of the Foundation "Pro Oriente"
1987-1992 Secretary of the commission responsible for drafting the Catechism of the Catholic Church
1991 Jul 11 Appointed by Pope John Paul II as Auxiliary Bishop of Vienna
1995 Apr 13 Appointed Coadjutor Bishop of Vienna
1995 Sep 14 At 50, Became Archbishop of Vienna (received Pallium on Jun 29, 1996)
1996 Preached the Lenten spiritual exercises for Pope John Paul II and the Roman Curia
1998 Feb 21 At 53, Proclaimed Cardinal by John Paul II, titular church in Rome:"Jesus the Divine Worker"
1998 Jun 30 Became president of the Austrian Bishop's Conference
2005 Apr 18-19 Participates as the 6th youngest member in the conclave that elected Pope Benedict XVI

I hope you get to speak with him, it will be a very interesting experience, I am sure!

S.

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='21 January 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1264113118' post='2041844']
Hey pham,

Under Mary's Mantle,
Lauren
[/quote]

I read his book [u]Chance or Purpose[/u] last summer. Fantastic Read. Intelligent Guy. I would love to hear him speak and so I'm a tad bit jealous. <_<

If I were you I would get Chance or Purpose from your local library and read it between now and when he speaks. You could do it in a week. It's a book about Darwinian Evolution/Materialism and Catholic Theology.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Veridicus' date='21 January 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1264117907' post='2041885']
I read his book [u]Chance or Purpose[/u] last summer. Fantastic Read. Intelligent Guy. I would love to hear him speak and so I'm a tad bit jealous. <_<

If I were you I would get Chance or Purpose from your local library and read it between now and when he speaks. You could do it in a week. It's a book about Darwinian Evolution/Materialism and Catholic Theology.
[/quote]

If you are in the Kansas-Nebraska-Missouri area you should come. The Mass and talk are open to the public. Mass is at noon on the 23rd and the talk is at 2:30 the same day. The title for his lecture is "Pope Benedict, Regensburg, and the Controversy of Creation and Evolution." Thanks for the book suggestion I will definitely try and read it!

Edited by Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='21 January 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1264118212' post='2041887']
If you are in the Kansas-Nebraska-Missouri area you should come. The Mass and talk are open to the public. Mass is at noon on the 23rd and the talk is at 2:30 the same day. Thanks for the book suggestion I will definitely try and read it!
[/quote]

I would love that. Alas...I'm in Evansville (Southwestern Indiana) and medical school keeps me horribly busy. Post on here afterward and let us know what it was like!

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

He just made a pilgrimage to Medjugorje and said that he thinks its an authentic apparition. :mellow:

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='21 January 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1264119293' post='2041895']
He just made a pilgrimage to Medjugorje and said that he thinks its an authentic apparition. :mellow:
[/quote]

That's not quite right. His statement was more careful than that. He said: “without anticipating a definitive Church judgment, I state that the phenomena witnessed in Medjugorje since 1981 have a strong similarity to other Marian apparitions.”

See: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=5144

Schonborn's visit caused the local bishop Most Rev. Ratko Perić, the Bishop of Mostar-Duvno in Bosnia-Herzegovina, to explain that "due to the ongoing apparitions and the ensuing debate, his diocese now unwillingly hosts a number of “new communities and associations of the faithful who, in disobedience, live at Medjugorje.” These communities, he said, “may become encouraged in their ecclesial disobedience because of the cardinal’s visit.”
The bishop concluded that Schönborn’s visit, especially his actions and statements, “have added to the current suffering of the local church.”

See: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/medjugorje_bishop_says_cardinal_schnborns_visit_brings_greater_suffering_to_his_diocese/

After meeting with the pope in a private audience on January 15, Schonborn faxed an apology to the bishop saying:
"Your Excellency, Dear Brother in Christ. I have received your letter from January 2 of this year. I regret if you have the impression that my pilgrimage to Medjugorje did a disservice to peace. You can be sure that this was not my intention."

See: http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=18932

S.

Edited by Skinzo

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='22 January 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1264136833' post='2042075']
I wonder if there will be balloons and strobelights.
[/quote]

I don't know about strobelights, but when the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Pietro Sambi came in September there were balloons. :cool: I'll let you know.

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='22 January 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1264178515' post='2042247']
I don't know about strobelights, but when the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Pietro Sambi came in September there were balloons. :cool: I'll let you know.
[/quote]

He meant during Mass. I kinda had the same question.

Domine ut Videam

Of course not [b]during[/b] the Mass :rolleyes: , but in the gym there was because it was our convocation at the beginning of the year. There will definitely be [b]NO[/b] balloons or strobe-lights at the Mass.

Edited by Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='23 January 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1264222925' post='2042662']
Of course not [b]during[/b] the Mass :rolleyes: , but in the gym there was because it was our convocation at the beginning of the year. There will definitely be [b]NO[/b] balloons or strobe-lights at the Mass.
[/quote]

:) I know... I'm thinking of coming up from KC. We'll see.

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' date='22 January 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1264222925' post='2042662']
[/quote]

Three things we don't need at Mass: Balloons, Strobelights, Clowns.

What is it about strobelights? has Cardinal Shonborn celebrated less than orthodox Masses in the past or something?