An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 January 2010 - 12:45 AM' timestamp='1264225524' post='2042697']
What is it about strobelights? has Cardinal Shonborn celebrated less than orthodox Masses in the past or something?
[/quote]
[URL]http://en.gloria.tv/?media=16608[/URL]

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='23 January 2010 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1264226490' post='2042710']
[URL]http://en.gloria.tv/?media=16608[/URL]
[/quote]

Wow, what a video! I thought Masses like that weren't being said anywhere anymore. :ohno:
Leavened bread too. :( My ignorance was bliss, but thanks Rexi. Somehow I missed this before.
I gather he didn't plan the liturgy. The Austrian church must be as screwy as can be.
S.

Thy Geekdom Come

I think it would be misguided to claim that the good Cardinal was behind that. Do you guys have any idea how many people are involved in organizing events like that? In all likelihood, he wasn't involved in the planning and only had vague details about until the Mass started.

We've had discussions like this before and I'll repeat what I said then: don't make the mistake of thinking that bishops (or priests for that matter) always know what their liturgical coordinators are planning in advance.

The Cardinal Archbishop is the moderator of the liturgy in his jurisdiction, and so it is his duty to know what is going on liturgically, and to act in order to suppress abuses.

If you are a leader, "The buck stops here," as President Truman once said.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 01:51 PM' timestamp='1264272707' post='2042903']
The Cardinal Archbishop is the moderator of the liturgy in his jurisdiction, and so it is his duty to know what is going on liturgically, and to act in order to suppress abuses.

[/quote]

What he said. Besides, Micah, it's not like it's an isolated incident.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1264272707' post='2042903']

[/quote]

AMEN!

S.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 January 2010 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1264226734' post='2042713']
You guys should be nice to me and just lie. Say he's perfectly orthodox and let me believe that. :P
[/quote]

Ditto.

That video... wow... I think I'm still recovering from the shock of it all.

I had no idea... :sadder:

[sub]And... and... he's a Dominican. :cry:[/sub]

Domine ut Videam

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/cardinal_schoenborns_american_tour

Cardinal Schönborn's American Tour
Share BY TIM DRAKE Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:27 AM Comments (1)

Fresh from his much-written about trip to Medjugorge, Vienna Cardinal Archbishop Christoph Schönborn will be presenting lectures at at least two Catholic universities during a trip to the U.S. over the next week.

Christoph Schönborn is visiting the Archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas January 30 and 31 as a guest of the Little Sisters of the Lamb.

On Sunday, Jan. 31, he will celebrate noon Mass at St. Benedict’s Abbey Church in Atchison, Kan. At 2:30 p.m. he will deliver the lecture, “Pope Benedict, Regensburg, and the Controversy of Creation and Evolution,” in the college’s O’Malley-McAllister Auditorium. Benedictine is also presenting him with the prestigious Cross of the Order of St. Benedict award.

In 2005, Christoph Schönborn sparked a debate on evolution with a New York Times article on the subject. In 2007, he published “Chance or Purpose? Creation, Evolution, and a Rational Faith.”

On Sunday afternoon, Christoph Schönborn will preside and preach at Solemn Vespers at Savior Pastoral Center in Kansas City. Priests from throughout Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska have been invited to attend.

On Wednesday, Feb. 3, at 3:30 p.m., Christoph Schönborn will give a lecture at The Catholic University of America. The lecture, “Christianity – Alien Presence or Foundation of the West?” will be given in Great Room A of the Edward J. Pryzbyla University Center. The lecture is being sponsored by Catholic University’s schools of theology and religious studies, canon law and philosophy.

President of the Austrian Bishops’ Conference, Christoph Schönborn is known for his work as editorial secretary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. He is one of the youngest members of the Catholic Church’s College of Cardinals, and as such, his name is frequently mentioned among the papabile – the circle of potential future popes.

Whether he’s a future papal contender or not, it is interesting to note that both Karol Wojtyla and Joseph Ratzinger had visited the U.S. on lecture tours prior to their ascendancy to the papacy. In 1976, three years prior to his election, Karol Wojtyla was invited by The Catholic University of America’s dean of the School of Philosophy, Jude Dougherty, to give an academic lecture. In 1999, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger visited the U.S. delivering a lecture on “Faith and Culture” at St. Patrick’s Seminary in Menlo Park, Calif.

Domine ut Videam

Cardinal Christoph before giving his lecture.
[img]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/laurenrose1989/006.jpg[/img]
(sorry this pic is giant and blurry <_< )

The Cardinal gave a beautiful homily today about the church in Europe and the importance of maintaining unity between the European and American churches to give hope and faith to each other. His lecture, following Mass, on creation, evolution, and the Regensburg Address was also very insightful.

He was very witty and joyful. I got to shake his hand and feel blessed to have been able to spend the afternoon in his presence hearing him talk. It was funny, but he kind of reminded me of JP2 in a way. He has this smile that lights up the room. You could tell that he was a joyful person and his holiness was evident. When I get my hands on the text of his speech and/or homily I will post it.

-Lauren

Domine ut Videam

Here are some articles that show a bit of what the Cardinal talked about:

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/the_cardinals_five_revelations/

http://stjoechannel.com/content/fulltext_news?cid=107051

Edited by Domine ut Videam