Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 [quote name='Veridicus' date='23 January 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1264279497' post='2042972'] Maybe androgeny is the new femenism. She does kinda look vulcanesque. "Our Lady of Logic" [/quote] Our Lady of Logic is not actually that far off from Our Lady of Wisdom, and that is a real title for her. What's really nice is you could capture the meaning of both by calling her Our Lady of the Eternal Logos...which she was...
Ephrem Augustine Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 [quote name='Skinzo' date='23 January 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1264261667' post='2042820'] American Papist is going with a story that Cardinal Mahoney in LA is about to receive a "coadjutor bishop" who will succeed Mahoney when he retires. I have to say that I hope this does happen soon. Take a look at this picture: [IMG]http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/Cetil/3349259656_549c7692df.jpg[/IMG] http://www.catholicvoteaction.org/americanpapist/index.php?p=680 What a throne! And the crucifix seems in the background and off to the side. At least that is the effect of the photo on me. So what does a "coadjutor bishop" do? Is this similar to what happened to Hunthausen in Seattle? S. [/quote] The Bishops chair is hardly in the center of the Cathedral. I have been there several times. I guess I might be considered a freak or madman, but I go there a couple times a year and always feel inspired. Not to speak anything in defense of above mentioned archbishop.
Apotheoun Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 [quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='23 January 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1264279766' post='2042982'] The Bishops chair is hardly in the center of the Cathedral. . . . [/quote] You are correct, and even though I think that the new cathedral is unsuited to divine worship, the picture below clearly shows that the altar is centrally located with the cross behind it. [img]http://www.cathedralsofcalifornia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/crw_7868_rt8-web.jpg[/img]
King's Rook's Pawn Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1264276766' post='2042934'] [size="3"]At the same time that the archdiocese of Los Angeles was building its cathedral (pictured below)[/size] [img]http://bp1.blogger.com/_Cdm4i78-hB4/R3jAvQnmXFI/AAAAAAAAAcY/yJkNbbpT3IE/s400/OL+of+the+A.jpg[/img][/quote] Postmodernism: the Aesthetic of Confusion [quote][size="3"]the Moscow Patriarchate was building its cathedral (pictured below)[/size] [img]http://www.sacred-destinations.com/russia/images/moscow/christ-the-savior/resized/cathedral-christ-the-savior-and-st-basil-wp-pd.jpg[/img][/quote] *sarcasm* But I thought craftsmen today just no longer had the [i]skill[/i] to build [i]nice[/i] things. *sarcasm*
CatherineM Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 At least there are kneelers. Many new churches are being built without them. Gotta love the pipes though. I'll bet those can boom.
King's Rook's Pawn Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 I don't think the interior would look [i]so[/i] horrible if there was some tasteful color. I find they're generally [i]not as bad[/i] with interiors (though that's not saying much). But why do modern architects love beige so much?
Veridicus Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 [quote name='CatherineM' date='23 January 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1264283950' post='2043025'] At least there are kneelers. Many new churches are being built without them. [/quote] Amen. Thank God there are kneelers.
Skinzo Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='23 January 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1264279766' post='2042982'] The Bishops chair is hardly in the center of the Cathedral. I have been there several times. I guess I might be considered a freak or madman, but I go there a couple times a year and always feel inspired. Not to speak anything in defense of above mentioned archbishop. [/quote] I get your point. The interior just needs artwork, and lose the throne. What was the architect trying to achieve I wonder? Maybe it's better not to ask. S.
Skinzo Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1264276766' post='2042934'] [size="3"]At the same time that the archdiocese of Los Angeles was building its cathedral (pictured below)[/size] [img]http://bp1.blogger.com/_Cdm4i78-hB4/R3jAvQnmXFI/AAAAAAAAAcY/yJkNbbpT3IE/s400/OL+of+the+A.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.ericstone.com/uploaded_images/800px-Cathedral_of_Our_Lady_of_Angels,_Los_Angeles-731263.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.olacathedral.org/zoom/images/cathedra.jpg[/img] [size="3"]the Moscow Patriarchate was building its cathedral (pictured below)[/size] [img]http://www.sacred-destinations.com/russia/images/moscow/christ-the-savior/resized/cathedral-christ-the-savior-and-st-basil-wp-pd.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.sacred-destinations.com/russia/images/moscow/christ-the-savior/resized/cathedral-christ-the-savior-night-sx-contact-credit-xoox-xooxman.jpg[/img] [img]http://k43.pbase.com/u46/jortega/upload/29616182.ChristtheSaviorCathedralMoscowRussia.jpeg[/img] [/quote] Apotheoun, YES! No comparison is there? What a beautiful symbol of spiritual restoration, the rebuilding of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. S.
Lilllabettt Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 Am I the only one who thinks its kind of tasteless to be on "Mahoney watch" counting down the days 'till he's gone? I mean this isn't a politician we're talking about here, right? I don't know. Seems sort of crass.
ThePenciledOne Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Lilllabettt' date='23 January 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1264294047' post='2043124'] Am I the only one who thinks its kind of tasteless to be on "Mahoney watch" counting down the days 'till he's gone? I mean this isn't a politician we're talking about here, right? I don't know. Seems sort of crass. [/quote] Crass is the new good-natured.
Veridicus Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='23 January 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1264279623' post='2042977'] Our Lady of Logic is not actually that far off from Our Lady of Wisdom, and that is a real title for her. What's really nice is you could capture the meaning of both by calling her Our Lady of the Eternal Logos...which she was... [/quote]
Apotheoun Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Lilllabettt' date='23 January 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1264294047' post='2043124'] Am I the only one who thinks its kind of tasteless to be on "Mahoney watch" counting down the days 'till he's gone? I mean this isn't a politician we're talking about here, right? I don't know. Seems sort of crass. [/quote] It would be tasteless if people were counting down the days to his death, but that is not what is going on. I see nothing inherently wrong with a person counting down the days to Mahony's canonical retirement. Many of my Latin Catholic friends did the same thing as Bishop Cummins retirement approached in the Oakland Diocese.
Skinzo Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Lilllabettt' date='23 January 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1264294047' post='2043124'] Am I the only one who thinks its kind of tasteless to be on "Mahoney watch" counting down the days 'till he's gone? I mean this isn't a politician we're talking about here, right? I don't know. Seems sort of crass. [/quote] I don't mean to disrespect his office, but honestly he has done a lot that has scandalized me. I won't be sorry when he is replaced. S.
Maggyie Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 (edited) To me this is a GORGEOUS picture!!! Totally changes my impression of the Cathedral! It reminds me of a Carthusian monastery in its simplicity... never thought I would say that about the "Taj Mahoney"!!! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Maggyie/cathedra.jpg[/img] Edited January 24, 2010 by Maggie
Apotheoun Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Maggie' date='23 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1264294799' post='2043131'] To me this is a GORGEOUS picture!!! Totally changes my impression of the Cathedral! It reminds me of a Carthusian monastery in its simplicity... never thought I would say that about the "Taj Mahoney"!!! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Maggyie/cathedra.jpg[/img] [/quote] The picture makes me glad that I am an Eastern Christian. Edited January 24, 2010 by Apotheoun
Skinzo Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1264295058' post='2043132'] The picture makes me glad that I am an Eastern Christian. [/quote] Yes. From the back that throne looks more like a guillotine. When the Muslims take over L.A., they won't have much work to do to convert the place for their use. S.
Maggyie Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1264295058' post='2043132'] The picture makes me glad that I am an Eastern Christian. [/quote] To each his own I especially love the lamps and the angles on the windows!
Apotheoun Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Maggie' date='23 January 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1264295786' post='2043138'] To each his own I especially love the lamps and the angles on the windows! [/quote] Yeah, I take seriously the dogma of Nicea II.
Maggyie Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 January 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1264295839' post='2043139'] Yeah, I take seriously the dogma of Nicea II. [/quote] ?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now