An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Can't Me

princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' date='28 January 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1264744126' post='2047111']
:steps back in horror:

gracious me-no!

I totally get my rolling rrrrrrrrrrrrrs in there
[/quote]
Is it an apical, or uvular trill?

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1264745116' post='2047129']
Well since the English typically only has apical. Apical.

Final Answer! :lol:
[/quote]
Most English speakers use neither. :)
I have to admit, I don't like the uvular trill. It sounds too harsh to me.
Except I can't trill apically anyway, so it's all academic.

princessgianna

[quote]This is not a very common distinction, and typically applied only to fricatives and affricates. Thus many varieties of the English language have either apical or laminal pairs of [t]/[d]. However, some varieties of Arabic, including Hadhrami Arabic, realizes [t] as laminal but [d] as apical.[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apical_consonant

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1264745256' post='2047133']
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apical_consonant
[/quote]
R and L sounds are rhotics and laterals though. Liquids, rather than properly consonants. :)

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1264745359' post='2047136']
Honestly I don't know. It's a 'r' sound! :rolleyes:
[/quote]
English is pretty unique in our R sound. We use the [ɹ] like you'd say in <car>, but most languages don't have that sound. The apical trill [r] is pretty common, then the uvular trill [R] is common in German. Apparently a lot of French and German varieties have a velar fricative [ʁ] but I don't honestly know what that is supposed to sound like.
Then we all have the rhotic flap [ɾ], but we don't make a distinction consciously for it. :D

Linguistics is a neat subject.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

princessgianna

Oh I see sort ve. Are you studying the vocal chords or somthing?

EDIT: I ll pretend to be smart too!
In Japan they don't have L's. "Linda" comes to be "Rinda". :lol:

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1264745645' post='2047146']
Oh I see sort ve. Are you studying the vocal chords or somthing?

EDIT: I ll pretend to be smart too!
In Japan they don't have L's. "Linda" comes to be "Rinda". :lol:
[/quote]
I knew that. :D I don't know exactly why that is.
I also read that after a certain number of years of knowing only Japanese, most people will actually lose to ability to pronounce L sounds the way we do in English. :P That's pretty wild.

(What I'm studying right this second is how we make different sounds. The mouth more than the vocal cords. Tongue and lip position and that sort of thing.)

Edited by Nihil Obstat

princessgianna

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 January 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1264745773' post='2047147']
I knew that. :D I don't know exactly why that is.
I also read that after a certain number of years of knowing only Japanese, most people will actually lose to ability to pronounce L sounds the way we do in English. :P That's pretty wild.

(What I'm studying right this second is how we make different sounds. The mouth more than the vocal cords. Tongue and lip position and that sort of thing.)
[/quote]
yea yea yea......... :P

Japanese adults if they learn English when they are older -chances are they won't be able to get that :L: down.

It's interesting

Sounds like a fun course.

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1264745928' post='2047149']
yea yea yea......... :P

Japanese adults if they learn English when they are older -chances are they won't be able to get that :L: down.

It's interesting

Sounds like a fun course.
[/quote]
Interesting, for sure, but the actual work is a bit of a drag. Like most things, of course.