Nihil Obstat Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 The Welsh L is another I don't like. ɬ I find it to be a kind of gross sound. Rofl.
princessgianna Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 Honestly I don't know. It's a 'r' sound!
Nihil Obstat Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1264745256' post='2047133'] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apical_consonant [/quote] R and L sounds are rhotics and laterals though. Liquids, rather than properly consonants.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 (edited) [quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1264745359' post='2047136'] Honestly I don't know. It's a 'r' sound! [/quote] English is pretty unique in our R sound. We use the [ɹ] like you'd say in <car>, but most languages don't have that sound. The apical trill [r] is pretty common, then the uvular trill [R] is common in German. Apparently a lot of French and German varieties have a velar fricative [ʁ] but I don't honestly know what that is supposed to sound like. Then we all have the rhotic flap [ɾ], but we don't make a distinction consciously for it. Linguistics is a neat subject. Edited January 29, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
princessgianna Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 (edited) Oh I see sort ve. Are you studying the vocal chords or somthing? EDIT: I ll pretend to be smart too! In Japan they don't have L's. "Linda" comes to be "Rinda". Edited January 29, 2010 by princessgianna
Nihil Obstat Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 (edited) [quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1264745645' post='2047146'] Oh I see sort ve. Are you studying the vocal chords or somthing? EDIT: I ll pretend to be smart too! In Japan they don't have L's. "Linda" comes to be "Rinda". [/quote] I knew that. I don't know exactly why that is. I also read that after a certain number of years of knowing only Japanese, most people will actually lose to ability to pronounce L sounds the way we do in English. That's pretty wild. (What I'm studying right this second is how we make different sounds. The mouth more than the vocal cords. Tongue and lip position and that sort of thing.) Edited January 29, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
princessgianna Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 January 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1264745773' post='2047147'] I knew that. I don't know exactly why that is. I also read that after a certain number of years of knowing only Japanese, most people will actually lose to ability to pronounce L sounds the way we do in English. That's pretty wild. (What I'm studying right this second is how we make different sounds. The mouth more than the vocal cords. Tongue and lip position and that sort of thing.) [/quote] yea yea yea......... Japanese adults if they learn English when they are older -chances are they won't be able to get that :L: down. It's interesting Sounds like a fun course. Edited January 29, 2010 by princessgianna
Nihil Obstat Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1264745928' post='2047149'] yea yea yea......... Japanese adults if they learn English when they are older -chances are they won't be able to get that :L: down. It's interesting Sounds like a fun course. [/quote] Interesting, for sure, but the actual work is a bit of a drag. Like most things, of course.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now