KeenanParkerII Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 Maybe not in and of itself, but typically when someone works out they spend a lot of time looking at their body. It's almost a sort of vanity. Also, in a public gym you are surrounded by members of the opposite sex who are doing the same thing. Also, when you're really pumped, there is no doubt that you get more aggressive and like.. hormonal--if you get my drifts. So what do you think? Is working out a big opportunity for sin or not?
CatherineM Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 Anything can be an opportunity to sin. I exercise several times a week, but it is neck deep in water with a bunch of elderly women. I'm not there to show off my body to anyone. Seriously.
cmotherofpirl Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 [quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='31 January 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1264913634' post='2048056'] Maybe not in and of itself, but typically when someone works out they spend a lot of time looking at their body. It's almost a sort of vanity. Also, in a public gym you are surrounded by members of the opposite sex who are doing the same thing. Also, when you're really pumped, there is no doubt that you get more aggressive and like.. hormonal--if you get my drifts. So what do you think? Is working out a big opportunity for sin or not? [/quote] It depends on what you are doing and why. My sons go to the gym: one is a bike racer and the other a runner. Both sports are a tad bit difficult when its 5 degrees outside. They are far more interested in how their bodies perform than what they look like. Its also every expensive to buy and store the equipment needed for some workouts, so its cheaper to join a gym.
Happy_Catholic Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 When I did the gym thing, I only ever went to women's gyms cos working out in front of guys makes me uncomfortable. Plus, I always went at like 10 in the morning so there was hardly anyone there anyway. I guess the only way it'd be sinful would be if you made it an idol, like if you started taking 'roids and missing mass to pump iron.
BG45 Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 I work out usually in my own home, or on a trail in a local park in early morning when weather permits. So I'm not really good for an opinion.
KeenanParkerII Posted January 31, 2010 Author Posted January 31, 2010 Okay, assume this applies to people going to busy gyms at busy times. And I don't buy the "if you're in there to increase performance you don't pay attention to yourself" argument. I've been performance training since grade 8.
Paddington Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 I think working out is such a positive thing, that it's worth doing anyways, but with extra caution if it is needed. I've been unable to work out for four months because of injuries and I miss it very much.
Ed Normile Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 [quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='31 January 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1264915218' post='2048072'] Okay, assume this applies to people going to busy gyms at busy times. And I don't buy the "if you're in there to increase performance you don't pay attention to yourself" argument. I've been performance training since grade 8. [/quote] Sounds like you have your mind made up. Do you feel its a sin for you, or is this a feeling you get from others in the gym? I can not see how taking care of ones self would be a sin, but I can assume there is an opportunity to sin at any place you want to. What I am saying is it would be how you compose your self in the situation. I am sure one could sin in church if they were of a mind too. ed
southern california guy Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 (edited) [quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='30 January 2010 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1264913634' post='2048056'] Maybe not in and of itself, but typically when someone works out they spend a lot of time looking at their body. It's almost a sort of vanity. Also, in a public gym you are surrounded by members of the opposite sex who are doing the same thing. Also, when you're really pumped, there is no doubt that you get more aggressive and like.. hormonal--if you get my drifts. So what do you think? Is working out a big opportunity for sin or not? [/quote] Sure it's vanity, but so it combing your hair, shaving, grooming.. Right? Is it only okay to concentrate on our face? I think it's a good idea to take care of your body. If you do very heavy basic exercises and get plenty of rest you will definitely increase your testosterone. But we are men.. It sure feels good to be strong and powerful. And it's probably not so bad if you're looking at your own body. It's when you spend too much time checking out the beautiful female training next to you -- and she notices, and comes over and starts talking to you.. Edited January 31, 2010 by southern california guy
KeenanParkerII Posted January 31, 2010 Author Posted January 31, 2010 [quote]Sounds like you have your mind made up. Do you feel its a sin for you, or is this a feeling you get from others in the gym? I can not see how taking care of ones self would be a sin, but I can assume there is an opportunity to sin at any place you want to. What I am saying is it would be how you compose your self in the situation. I am sure one could sin in church if they were of a mind too. ed[/quote] Nope, I don't have my mind made up. In fact, I think fitness is a lifelong commitment. I'm just curious if anyone else experiences this. [quote]Sure it's vanity, but so it combing your hair, shaving, grooming.. Right? Is it only okay to concentrate on our face? I think it's a good idea to take care of your body. If you do very heavy basic exercises and get plenty of rest you will definitely increase your testosterone. But we are men.. It sure feels good to be strong and powerful. And it's probably not so bad if you're looking at your own body. It's when you spend too much time checking out the beautiful female training next to you -- and she notices, and comes over and starts talking to you.. [/quote] True enough! Don't look!
Jesus_lol Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 nothing wrong with working out. or meeting girls. is everything a sin now?
havok579257 Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 if working out is a sin of vanity then so is make up. so any women who wears make up is comitting the sin of vanity. your going overboard in thinking working out is a sin. praying is church can also be vanity. see where i am going with this. if the gym and working out makes you uncomfortable and it causes YOU to sin, then don't do it, same as with everything.
BG45 Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 Hmm applying it to people who work out at the gym at busy times, I think it still depends on the person. Surely not everyone there is going to check people out or be checked out; although that was the primary reason a few friends went to the gym during the time period they did at school.
dauntingknight Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 My workout is hiking,bycycling, and cards.
Paladin D Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='31 January 2010 - 03:22 AM' timestamp='1264922546' post='2048125'] nothing wrong with working out. or meeting girls. is everything a sin now? [/quote] I concur. Which reminds me, I did 400+ push-ups (regular, wide, & diamond) yesterday morning by using a deck of cards. What a workout! Edited January 31, 2010 by Paladin D
Ephrem Augustine Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 It's not my job to judge anybody's reasons for going to the gym. that's not to say i have not met guys or girls who are hoping to meet potential mate at the gym as for the hormones thing, well i prefer that my testosterone is working me out at the gym as opposed to somewhere else to be released, it actually helps me be more chaste to have a very intense physical life. I'm not a gnostic or anything. I might think the opposite, in religious life, there are so many fat friars, and i have always thought that cuts away at our credibility.
KeenanParkerII Posted January 31, 2010 Author Posted January 31, 2010 Good points, I've often wondered to myself if a Christian can justify being overweight. A. Our body is a temple. B. We must refrain from gluttony. C. It is always good to exercise will power.
Ephrem Augustine Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 the term asceticism is connected to the term exercise, it is also connected to the term athlete. All the early saints were athletes. if exercise actually felt good, like if you took a pill, or some of these stupid magic weight loss pill infomercials... those are more vanity, vanity to think that all the natural laws of the human body can be suspended for my own laziness and irresponsibility.
southern california guy Posted January 31, 2010 Posted January 31, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='31 January 2010 - 12:22 AM' timestamp='1264922546' post='2048125'] nothing wrong with working out. or meeting girls. is everything a sin now? [/quote] I don't want to get banned here... (So please don't ban me!!) But the only sin would come if you later "worked out" -- with the girl you met at the gym -- back at your place or hers. Right? Of course we're not totally controlled by our hormones so the increase in testosterone logically wouldn't override our moral principles. Maybe if people use that as an excuse they don't really have the moral principles they claim to.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now