An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pourquoi?

KeenanParkerII

KeenanParkerII

Why are there no male lay consecrations? Ie. Poverty, chastity? I'm not inferring anything here, I'm just curious if it is because we have a duty to find wives and accumulate stuff for the family.

Discuss.

Edited by KeenanParkerII

KeenanParkerII

When I said lay, I meant to say non-living-in-a-religious-order-church-environment-but-kind-of-in-the-world-type-thing. ^__^

AccountDeleted

Males can be consecrated hermits. I don't think they can be consecrated virgins though. That is all that women have anyway. And men can be priests while women can't.

KeenanParkerII

Cool beans, I found an article on diocesan hermits! Though, I must admit, I'm not sure I like the sound of the word hermit..

http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/89

AccountDeleted

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='04 February 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1265238287' post='2050771']
Cool beans, I found an article on diocesan hermits! Though, I must admit, I'm not sure I like the sound of the word hermit..

http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/89
[/quote]

Father Romano of the Hermits of Bethlehem is a valuable source of info since he started his laura of hermits 30 years ago or more. You might want to go on a retreat there to get the feel for hermit life.

KeenanParkerII

Oh, nooo. I mean thank you, but I'm just trying to expand my Catholic knowledge. I'd like a wife at some point methinks. But if it wasn't for that I'd enter a religious order in a heartbeat.

We have a hermit in the mountains here, he eats nettle soup and kills bugs with his Bible during mass.
You can be all eccentric and cool like that. ^_^
We call our non-priest brothers lay brothers.

Edited by Hilde

KeenanParkerII

Sweet! Do hermits get habits?

So all people in religious orders (besides priests) are called lay brothers and sisters?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='04 February 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1265239359' post='2050793']
Sweet! Do hermits get habits?

So all people in religious orders (besides priests) are called lay brothers and sisters?
[/quote]

Yeah, anyone not a priest is laity, but monks and nuns are also referred to as religious, which not all laity are.

Yes, hermits can wear habits. He Hermits of Bethlem wear denim habits! They have a scapular and cowl (for the monks) and veil (for the nuns) and a white mantle (cape) for Mass.

KeenanParkerII

Aha, I know the difference between religious and diocesan priests. hehe, woo I know something!

[quote]Yes, hermits can wear habits. He Hermits of Bethlem wear denim habits! They have a scapular and cowl (for the monks) and veil (for the nuns) and a white mantle (cape) for Mass.[/quote]

Cool, I've never seen a denim habit before. I'm googling.. >__>

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='04 February 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1265289900' post='2051124']
Hey now, none of that French stuff.
[/quote]

Like this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqH0OBSD76w&feature=related[/media]

Edited by vee8

KeenanParkerII

If you haven't noticed, we're Canadian, not France French. =P

And I'm not even French Canadian, I'm from the British part of Canada.