SaintOfVirtue Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 May 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1274507967' post='2115214'] Never played Bioshock. Have you? [/quote] demos; but I've never even heard of "Portal".
Nihil Obstat Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='22 May 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1274508255' post='2115218'] demos; but I've never even heard of "Portal". [/quote] Wow, srsly? It was huge a few years ago. Ever heard "The cake is a lie"?
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 May 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1274508496' post='2115222'] Wow, srsly? It was huge a few years ago. Ever heard "The cake is a lie"? [/quote] I might have heard the term once or twice, but I never related it to a video game. After all, the internet spawns all sorts of weird axioms. There is no spoon.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='22 May 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1274509048' post='2115233'] I might have heard the term once or twice, but I never related it to a video game. After all, the internet spawns all sorts of weird axioms. There is no spoon. [/quote] Well yea, "The cake is a lie" comes from Portal. GLaDOS keeps telling you that she'll give you cake when you finish all her increasingly crazy and dangerous tests. At a couple points you break out of the test areas and see graffiti scrawled all over the walls that says "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" In my opinion though, the cake is not a lie.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='BG45' date='22 May 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1274548641' post='2115413'] The cake is a lie. Never trust a sentient AI. [/quote] Hey, I saw the cake with my own eyes! She may be a manipulative insane jerk, but there really was cake!
princessgianna Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 May 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1274499450' post='2115097'] It's even more annoying that it's impossible to be mad at you. [/quote] [sup]2[/sup]
Nihil Obstat Posted May 22, 2010 Posted May 22, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='22 May 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1274552650' post='2115446'] [sup]2[/sup] [/quote]
JTheresa Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 Where have you been??? It gets so lonely here. I feel like I'm the only one posting. Even the Lame Board gets more attention than this!!!!
Tridenteen Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 JMJ I have been babysitting, schooling, complaining...and celebrating Write Your Priest/Religious/Seminarian A Letter Day.
princessgianna Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 May 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1274559676' post='2115488'] [/quote] [sup]3[/sup]
BG45 Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 May 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1274551590' post='2115439'] Hey, I saw the cake with my own eyes! She may be a manipulative insane jerk, but there really was cake! [/quote] Did you really see it or did she manipulate the screen to make you think you saw it? Was the entire experiment just a lie that never really happened?
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 May 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1274545554' post='2115391'] Well yea, "The cake is a lie" comes from Portal. GLaDOS keeps telling you that she'll give you cake when you finish all her increasingly crazy and dangerous tests. At a couple points you break out of the test areas and see graffiti scrawled all over the walls that says "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" In my opinion though, the cake is not a lie. [/quote] Yes, cake is certainly a good reason to risk your life; jumping through chambers of death and destruction. I prefer games with a somewhat believable motivation for the protagonist. Cake just doesn't seem to cut it.
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 24, 2010 Posted May 24, 2010 Imagine playing Halo and your motivation for stopping the Covenant is: they have a cake. Wait, what? I'm going to blast through twenty levels of game so Master Chief can eat cake?
Nihil Obstat Posted May 25, 2010 Posted May 25, 2010 [quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='24 May 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1274744500' post='2116780'] Yes, cake is certainly a good reason to risk your life; jumping through chambers of death and destruction. I prefer games with a somewhat believable motivation for the protagonist. Cake just doesn't seem to cut it. [/quote] It was supposed to be rather surreal. Of course, no matter what else happens, you're in an empty, sealed laboratory where everything is run by computers. Couldn't escape if you wanted to.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 25, 2010 Posted May 25, 2010 (edited) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=3k8HWv3u2IM"]My link[/url] Edited May 25, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 25, 2010 Posted May 25, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 May 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1274749035' post='2116861'] It was supposed to be rather surreal. Of course, no matter what else happens, you're in an empty, sealed laboratory where everything is run by computers. Couldn't escape if you wanted to. [/quote] Empty, sealed, laboratory? So what's the protagonists story in a nut-shell? how did he end up in the laboratory?
JTheresa Posted May 25, 2010 Posted May 25, 2010 [quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='24 May 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1274744647' post='2116786'] Imagine playing Halo and your motivation for stopping the Covenant is: they have a cake. Wait, what? I'm going to blast through twenty levels of game so Master Chief can eat cake? [/quote] ^ BAHAHAHA!!!!! That made my night!!! But I totally agree with with you there. Maybe one or two levels, but not twenty, not for just cake. Now for defeating the Covenant AND cake, but not just cake. That would be pointless.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 25, 2010 Posted May 25, 2010 [quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='24 May 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1274752344' post='2116899'] Empty, sealed, laboratory? So what's the protagonists story in a nut-shell? how did he end up in the laboratory? [/quote] You wake up in a white, clinically sterile laboratory. That's it. Like I said, the surreal aspect is big. There's intentionally no backstory. I think the idea is that the protagonist has no memories either, but I can't say that for sure because the protagonist never actually says anything.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now