An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lent Question

rhetoricfemme

rhetoricfemme

I know I'm not supposed to eat meat today, but does that also mean that I can't prepare my husband a dinner with meat in it? He's not Catholic so he has no responsibilities to Lent (as far as I know, if he does please let me know that, too!). For the record, there wouldn't be any temptation to eat the meat on my part.

It's cute, though. He's been holding me to my Lenten promises. I gave up swearing and I've already messed up a few times, which has led him to doing a little sing-song routine about it. I think that would be punishment enough.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='19 February 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1266597434' post='2059413']
I know I'm not supposed to eat meat today, but does that also mean that I can't prepare my husband a dinner with meat in it? He's not Catholic so he has no responsibilities to Lent (as far as I know, if he does please let me know that, too!). For the record, there wouldn't be any temptation to eat the meat on my part.

It's cute, though. He's been holding me to my Lenten promises. I gave up swearing and I've already messed up a few times, which has led him to doing a little sing-song routine about it. I think that would be punishment enough.
[/quote]
As long as you don't sample your own cooking you are fine :)

I have never heard anything about not being able to prepare meat. I did/do the same for my wife, and she is not catholic.

If it is true, though; would catholic butchers not be able to work on Fridays?

+JMJ+
would your husband join you in giving up meat on Fridays? my husband prepares the food for our family, and he doesn't do a separate meal, but joins me in abstaining from meat.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='19 February 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1266598614' post='2059434']
+JMJ+
would your husband join you in giving up meat on Fridays? my husband prepares the food for our family, and he doesn't do a separate meal, but joins me in abstaining from meat.
[/quote]
interesting that you say that... Shea went from definately having meat on Fridays, to having fish with me, to making something 'non-meat' for the family.

Little steps are cool!

I love her.

:love:

I've often wondered about this kind of situation as well. A few of my friends in undergraduate were nominally Hindu, but didn't eat beef. Their mother owned a Quiznos and they would routinely prepare Beef sandwiches for customers.

Always seemed like a bit of a disconnect to me. I know the reasons why Catholics abstain from meat on Fridays are very different than why Hindus abstain from beef, but it just kinda reminded me of that.

I'm w/ Cmom tho. I don't think there is any problem as only Roman Catholics are obliged to participate in the Lenten abstinence. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see if he would participate in your abstinence even though he isn't Catholic...as a means of growing together even if he doesn't see the point in fasting theologically. Shared difficulties enhance companionship in my experience.

Saint Therese

Eating meat or meat itself is not evil, so I don't see how there could be a problem with preparing a meat meal for a non Catholic spouse on Fridays.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='Lil Red' date='19 February 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1266598614' post='2059434']
+JMJ+
[/quote]
I'm sure he would. I've been thinking about asking him if he'd actively give up meat with me and he's a pretty cool dude so I think he'd say yes. :)

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='19 February 2010 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1266598777' post='2059438']
interesting that you say that... Shea went from definately having meat on Fridays, to having fish with me, to making something 'non-meat' for the family.

Little steps are cool!

I love her.

:love:
[/quote]
Aw, awesome. :) It's warming up to the faith and those little steps are bewilderingly exciting for me to see in him.

Lil Red and MIkolbe, do either of you think your spouses will eventually join you in being Catholic?

+JMJ+
[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='19 February 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1266601422' post='2059474']
I'm sure he would. I've been thinking about asking him if he'd actively give up meat with me and he's a pretty cool dude so I think he'd say yes. :)[/quote]
that's great - like Jason said, it's baby steps.

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='19 February 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1266601422' post='2059474']
Lil Red and MIkolbe, do either of you think your spouses will eventually join you in being Catholic?
[/quote]
well, i think it's down the road quite a ways, but i do think he will. it depends on the person - my hubby doesn't like being pushed, especially when he's uncomfortable. our Marriage Encounter weekend really opened him up to how important faith is to me (more so than he realized, i think). but it is small steps - and learning more about having faith than having knowledge of The Faith. he has received a lot of good knowledge about The Faith, but his own personal journey of faith is going slower than i had thought. but prayer, sacrifice, and perseverance are essential.

i do think, though, that our children will play an integral part in his conversion (more so than my own part).

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='19 February 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1266601422' post='2059474']
[/quote]
In all honesty, I do not see it happening. There are things i have done, in my zeal, that have really turned her off to catholicism.

But I have an undying hope and faith in the Holy Spirit to fixed what I messed up.