An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lent Question

rhetoricfemme

When I was youger, my parents will not leet us eat meats on Fridays during Lent. We ate what they ate. We really do not mind it at all. Even thodya, my parents still do that. My family has a friend that she will giver her daughters meat and make herself something else. When we came over, she still do the same thing, and my mom spoke up, I want to say. I think that the mom was raise as eating meat when you are young.

Even though he is not Catholic, I think it would be a wonderful experience for him to join in the Lenten experience- It can bring yalls closerrr and possibly have him thinking about Catholicism.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='19 February 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1266603058' post='2059502']
In all honesty, I do not see it happening. There are things i have done, in my zeal, that have really turned her off to catholicism.

But I have an undying hope and faith in the Holy Spirit to fixed what I messed up.
[/quote]
HS is very good at that. Just be a happy catholic - nothing is more contagious than joy.

I asked a baptist friend if she happened to give up nything up for Lent. She asked me what Lent was? I filled her in as honest as I could be, I told her it was mainly a Catholic thing but some non-catholics observe too (Which is true). Now shes trying to think of something to give up :)

little_miss_late

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='19 February 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1266603058' post='2059502']
In all honesty, I do not see it happening. There are things i have done, in my zeal, that have really turned her off to catholicism.

But I have an undying hope and faith in the Holy Spirit to fixed what I messed up.
[/quote]

I am converting despite 15 years of my husband and his family messing it up.

I would have to say that anyone who prepares meat for another on friday during lent is a meat pusher and should be at least subject to applicable laws leveled against pushers, like more than an ounce would constitute a distribution charge and be a major felony and the offender would be able to be shot as soon as the warning halt was shouted, or we could just call it a definite condemnation to hell. It could be I am just jealous of anyone who could prepare meat and not be tempted to eat said meat! On a side note, did anyone else hang out after to mass on ash wednesday and approach strangers and say "excuse me, you have something on your forehead!" I love to do this and watch the reactions.

ed

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='19 February 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1266607546' post='2059576']
HS is very good at that. Just be a happy catholic - nothing is more contagious than joy.
[/quote]

Amen. I believe my husband is a ways down the road. But the Holy Spirit is working on it. I have great examples too. Both my Grandfather (mother's father), and my Father both converted after marrying my Grandmother and Mother respectfully. Nothing that the Holy Spirit and a Good Woman (or Man :) ) can't accomplish!