An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habit (Veils) Catalog

laetitia crucis

I saw some stores like that in rome. I never dared entering one though. I remember seeing a nun mannequin with a nice cardigan and thought "I want that" :lol:

I also found a catalog when I worked in a Catholic office, a german one with chalices and altar boy romes etc. :lol: Kind of cool.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='21 March 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1269186890' post='2076922']
Amen! :) That's the key for all you discerners out there for when you enter religious life and receive the habit -- the habit (and veil, esp.) isn't supposed to be PAINFUL like that, and if it is, well -- then it needs to be adjusted :)
[/quote]

Double-Amen -- to both you and zunshynn's post! :lol:

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sister Helen (one of the retired Sisters who lives across the street) wears a one-piece veil that apparently is kept in place by a wire in front. (It's a very standard kind of veil--I'm not sure it was in the catalog, but I've seen lots of pictures of sisters wearing that veil.) A little bit of hair shows in front, and I tell Sister Helen that I am jealous because I have more grey hair than she does! (I started going grey at age 25--maybe that was a sign from God that I belonged in an order (Anglican, of course) that wore a veil that covered all your hair!)

A funny veil story: Sister Helen went to Detroit to visit a friend, and she was stopped at airport security because she set off the security alarm. Remember, Sister Helen is 80 and about 4'11" due to severe osteoporosis. They ran the scanner over her, and finally realized that it was the wire in her veil that was setting off the machine!

Ever since, I've teased Sister Helen that she is a terrorist in disguise. Frankly, if I were a terrorist organization, I'd try to recruit Sister Helen because NO ONE would ever suspect her!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 March 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1269134262' post='2076609']
I think this is also true for the Sisters of Life -- at least according to my novice friend. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] She says a few of the Sisters she knows grow their hair out long enough to donate to Locks for Love and then repeat continually.

[/quote]

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I was going to ask if some orders encouraged their postulants to grow their hair long, so that when their hair was cut at their clothing, it could be donated to "Locks for Love" for a cancer patient. I think the hair has to be at least 10" long to be donated (there is more than one organization that does this, so the requirements may be different). I know some orders make the hair that has been cut hair part of the clothing ceremony by intertwining it with a crucifix, etc., but I thought that donating the cut hair to "Locks of Love" would be an added "good deed" to go along with the sacrifice of their hair.

My (very secular) niece wears her hair very long and it grows very fast, so when she needs a "trim" she cuts off at least 10" so she can donate her hair to "Locks of Love" (or some similar organization). Anyone who receives a wig with my niece's hair is lucky (not that anyone who loses their hair through chemo or for other medical reason could be considered "lucky"). But, my niece is a natural blonde, with thick hair (but not too thick) and just the right amount of curl/body. Her hair grows so fast that she can donate hair every 18 months or so. Not too many secular teenage girls think of others when they are choosing their hairstyle. I'm very proud of her (especially since I have no children of my own and she is my only niece).

I have heard some bad things about locks of love, but anyhow..I'm not cutting my hair at the moment. I'm not surew this has been talked about here before. Veiling has been talked about, I know, but not the part about not cutting hair/growing it long.

[quote name='truthfinder' date='21 March [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=17&t=103236&qpid=20767042010"]http://www.phatmass....pid=20767042010[/url] - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1269143131' post='2076704']
I slept with a full bellaclava on once because it was so cold in my tent, and it was made of wool, so itchy, what a penance. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:lol: Ive never done but have had to put my hood like this before. [img]http://www.babble.com/baby-names/usercontrols/top-10-famous/k/kenneth/kenny-south-park.jpg[/img]
I just realized if I can survive camping I can survive anything in a cloister. Actually it would be better than camping because you dont have to worry about bears or mosquitoes at night, although waking up at 5am would be the same :yawn:.

edit I have no idea why the formatting of this post is so weird I tried to fix it but cant.

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='23 March 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1269349454' post='2078284']
:lol: Ive never done but have had to put my hood like this before. [img]http://www.babble.com/baby-names/usercontrols/top-10-famous/k/kenneth/kenny-south-park.jpg[/img]
I just realized if I can survive camping I can survive anything in a cloister. Actually it would be better than camping because you dont have to worry about bears or mosquitoes at night, although waking up at 5am would be the same :yawn:.

edit I have no idea why the formatting of this post is so weird I tried to fix it but cant.
[/quote]

Wow, that is really weird. And when you click on your text, it takes you to the "Dude. This is lame" page. Hahaha! I must say, I prefer that over "Page error." :hehe:

[quote name='Hilde' date='22 March 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1269295061' post='2077948']
I have heard some bad things about locks of love
[/quote]

Really? What sorts of things? It would definitely be good to know if they, for example, support a place like Planned Parenthood or something ... is it something along those lines?

In our community, you could choose what to do with your hair, but you couldn't keep it -- you had to send it to your parents and tell them what you wanted done with it. Some parents were very sentimental and kept it - I chose to give mine to Locks for Love (I think it was 12" when it was cut).

We had tons and tons of horror stories of going through airport security! We had so much metal to take off - rosary, cross, pins galore, sometimes in the shoes, etc! Not to mention our metal band which kept our veil in place -- this was something we certainly DIDN'T take off, so we just hoped it wouldn't set off the alarm. Most of the time it didn't ... but when it did, oy vey! :wacko:

Our community was also involved in a legal battle regarding taking our veils off for our Driver's License photo. It was related to a question about a Muslim woman who had her entire face covered, except for her eyes. She had to show her nose and mouth, but then they went so far as to say all Muslim women had to take off their veils ... and then they moved to saying religious Sisters had to, as well! We fought it tooth and nail (we even got a call from the ACLU to defend us!!! :lol: ) and they ended up letting us keep it on ... but it was tough. The Sisters NEVER took their veils off, so a Driver's License picture without a veil would be more confusing than anything!!

No, I don't know if they support an immoral cause or anything, but that's not the problem. The problem is that so little of the donations they get actually get made into wigs for i.e chemo patients or sufferers of alopecia. Like [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html"]here[/url], it says they say 80% gets thrown away. And if you check out the website the amount of donations compared to how many wigs they have made just don't add up. It doesn't feel as good donating when you think it's only like a 1 in 10 chance it gets used. I think I'd sell the hair and donate the money to caritas or something, unless I found an organisation that promises the stuff LoL does that I can trust.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='23 March 2010 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1269351547' post='2078301']

Our community was also involved in a legal battle regarding taking our veils off for our Driver's License photo. It was related to a question about a Muslim woman who had her entire face covered, except for her eyes. She had to show her nose and mouth, but then they went so far as to say all Muslim women had to take off their veils ... and then they moved to saying religious Sisters had to, as well! We fought it tooth and nail (we even got a call from the ACLU to defend us!!! :lol: ) and they ended up letting us keep it on ... but it was tough. The Sisters NEVER took their veils off, so a Driver's License picture without a veil would be more confusing than anything!!
[/quote]

:lol: I remember a few summers ago I had to get a new ID (in my habit AND veil) and the lady taking pictures said, "I'm sorry, but can you take off your hat?" ( :lol_pound: Yes, she said "HAT"!)

And I said, "Ummm...no. It's my veil. I have to wear it. All the time. *big smile* Sorry."

It was hilarious!!! However, I have heard that in other countries, the Sisters are made to take off their veil (and toque/toca/cap) for their passport photos. :ohno: I think I would have cried. :shock:

[quote name='Hilde' date='23 March 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1269352880' post='2078314']
No, I don't know if they support an immoral cause or anything, but that's not the problem. The problem is that so little of the donations they get actually get made into wigs for i.e chemo patients or sufferers of alopecia. Like [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html"]here[/url], it says they say 80% gets thrown away. And if you check out the website the amount of donations compared to how many wigs they have made just don't add up. It doesn't feel as good donating when you think it's only like a 1 in 10 chance it gets used. I think I'd sell the hair and donate the money to caritas or something, unless I found an organisation that promises the stuff LoL does that I can trust.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. Part of the problem, though, is that people don't realize the requirements and send them hair that is either too short, or in bad condition, etc. It also must be hard for them to do enough with so little resources (six employees at their headquarters!) So it's good to know that a multi-million dollar company like Pantene is doing something about it -- my goodness, companies like that CERTAINLY have the resources, so I'm glad they're doing something about it! :)

Thanks for the info, Hilde! :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1269352957' post='2078315']

It was hilarious!!! However, I have heard that in other countries, the Sisters are made to take off their veil (and toque/toca/cap) for their passport photos. :ohno: I think I would have cried. :shock:
[/quote]

Yes, I certainly would have cried!!! :sadder: I was sooooo upset at the prospect of taking off my veil in front of someone, or having it fall off, etc. ... I was a bit, well, um, PARANOID about it, honestly! :lol:

I cant imagine having a job where I would be required to ask a Sister to take her veil off, and in public no less, or for me to be a Sister and be asked to take it off... it just seems so wrong. I feel embarrassed even when I see such a thing on tv. For example in the Teresa of Avila movie there was a scene where they had some kind of flea or lice problem and so were out in the garden trying to get the fleas or lice out of things including their hair. Now I know its just a movie and they are just actors but I still felt uncomfortable watching that.

Edited by vee8

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='23 March 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1269353235' post='2078318']
Ah, I see. Part of the problem, though, is that people don't realize the requirements and send them hair that is either too short, or in bad condition, etc. It also must be hard for them to do enough with so little resources (six employees at their headquarters!) So it's good to know that a multi-million dollar company like Pantene is doing something about it -- my goodness, companies like that CERTAINLY have the resources, so I'm glad they're doing something about it! :)

Thanks for the info, Hilde! :)
[/quote]And that's an interview with them(the NYT article) so it might be a little one-sided.
I just find it suspicious, they have sold a lot of the hair and gotten monetary donations too. It just doesn't add up.
If I would donate like 30" of hair that I've saved up, I'd like to know it's going to someone who needs it.

Pantene? That's cool.