An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habit (Veils) Catalog

laetitia crucis

JMJ
I had this mental image of me, and my two brothers (one wants to be a KHE and the other wants diocesan) going on vacation on a cruise ship (I don't think any order would ever let one of their sisters go on a cruise ship for their vacation, but thte mental image is still funny :-) and the security officers saying "Ok, Padres, Sister, please take remove all of your metal accroutements before walking through the security portal thingy." And then I imagined taking off everything and filling up, like, ,oh, a whole cardboard packing box full of rosaries, medals, and other nunly things [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] And by guessing from the amount of metal things by priest used to carry around in the pockets inside of his cassock, the boys would probably fill up a lot, too! This is a question for you ladies who were in the convent, did your habits have a lot of pockets?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 March 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1269354677' post='2078336']
JMJ
I had this mental image of me, and my two brothers (one wants to be a KHE and the other wants diocesan) going on vacation on a cruise ship (I don't think any order would ever let one of their sisters go on a cruise ship for their vacation, but thte mental image is still funny :-) and the security officers saying "Ok, Padres, Sister, please take remove all of your metal accroutements before walking through the security portal thingy." And then I imagined taking off everything and filling up, like, ,oh, a whole cardboard packing box full of rosaries, medals, and other nunly things [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] And by guessing from the amount of metal things by priest used to carry around in the pockets inside of his cassock, the boys would probably fill up a lot, too! This is a question for you ladies who were in the convent, did your habits have a lot of pockets?
[/quote]

Our habits had two pockets -- BIG pockets. I loved them. :lol: You would be amazed at how much stuff you could put in those. Sometimes I could fit one book in each pocket. :love:

However, if your pocket got caught on something and ripped... that was a very sad day indeed. :sadder:

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 March 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1269354677' post='2078336']
JMJ
[/quote]

KHE? :woot: As in Knights of the Holy Eucharist? That's awesome!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='23 March 2010 - 09:44 AM' timestamp='1269355499' post='2078346']
KHE? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img] As in Knights of the Holy Eucharist? That's awesome!
[/quote]

JMJ
My little brother loves them. We haven't met them, t though. Only read their website and blog and videos. I think what my brother like about them is they are YOUNG, realy cool, and down to earth. I mean, they have pictures of mowing the lawn, and taking care of the animals. They look like monks, and my brother loves what he sees. So please pray that he stays strong in his vocation.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 March 2010 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1269364272' post='2078413']
JMJ
My little brother loves them. We haven't met them, t though. Only read their website and blog and videos. I think what my brother like about them is they are YOUNG, realy cool, and down to earth. I mean, they have pictures of mowing the lawn, and taking care of the animals. They look like monks, and my brother loves what he sees. So please pray that he stays strong in his vocation.
[/quote]

They're a good group of guys... so hard working and dedicated. And yet, they really maintain a strong prayer life in spite of all the work that they do... and they're unbelievably committed to the liturgy... whenever they're needed on short notice to serve at a private mass or something like that, they arrange for one of them to be there no matter how busy they are.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 March 2010 - 10:31 AM' timestamp='1269354677' post='2078336']
This is a question for you ladies who were in the convent, did your habits have a lot of pockets?
[/quote]

BIIIIGGGG pockets! You could fit tons and tons and tons of things in there!!! Very nice indeed :)

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='23 March 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1269377992' post='2078518']
BIIIIGGGG pockets! You could fit tons and tons and tons of things in there!!! Very nice indeed :)
[/quote]

:yes: very big pockets. Many of us had double pockets, so we'd have two really deep pockets, and then inside one or both of them, we'd have another, smaller pocket sewn into them. I tried not to keep too many things in them though, because it would become too much of a hassle when I was shopping. I kept my keys latched to my cord.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='zunshynn' date='23 March 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1269378332' post='2078521']
:yes: very big pockets. Many of us had double pockets, so we'd have two really deep pockets, and then inside one or both of them, we'd have another, smaller pocket sewn into them. I tried not to keep too many things in them though, because it would become too much of a hassle when I was shopping. I kept my keys latched to my cord.
[/quote]

Double pockets!!! <-- :drool:

Since the subject has sorta migrated from veils to pockets :rolleyes: I've got a question. I understood that there are guidelines to what a sister can carry in her habit's pockets. A kleenex, a rosary, etc. Is that true? I know what's in my purse :shock: What do sisters carry in their pockets?

blessings, linnie

laetitia crucis

I don't know if we had any "official" guidelines (don't think we did), but this is what I usually had in mine:

- handful of Miraculous Medals (when we did parish missions, there was usually a huge box of stuff to give out to people we met going door-to-door, and I would usually grab a handful and have some left over to give out after the mission)

- kleenex (allergies)

- pen

- "nunbook" (a mini-spiral notebook)

- Rosary (we also had a habit-rosary worn on our belts)

- sometimes one of my spiritual reading books or my zippered "Pocket Bible" (the zippered maroon RSV Igantius Bible)

- chapstick (my lips are prone to being chapped)

Hmmmm.... that may be it. :scratchhead: I can't think of anything else at the moment.

YES we had double pockets, as well!!! :D

[quote name='linnie' date='23 March 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1269381098' post='2078562']
Since the subject has sorta migrated from veils to pockets :rolleyes: I've got a question. I understood that there are guidelines to what a sister can carry in her habit's pockets. A kleenex, a rosary, etc. Is that true? I know what's in my purse :shock: What do sisters carry in their pockets?

blessings, linnie
[/quote]

We didn't have any set "guidelines" -- but I mean, it was common sense not to carry food in your pockets, or something like that. :)

In my pockets I had:

- handkerchief
- rosary w/ rosary case (even though we wore a rosary, it was easier for me to pray on the typical five-decade one)
- pen (sometimes)
- mini-notebook (sometimes)
- "wallet" (with my driver's license in it - alas, no money! but usually only when I was driving somewhere)
- Miraculous Medals (we handed them out, too!)
- Convent door key

And some various other items that might be around -- like a holy card if I wanted to keep it with me, or a smaller spiritual book if I needed it, or the car keys if I was driving somewhere. That's about it, I think!

JMJ
Rumor has it that Poor Claire hankies are the size of baby tableclothes...anyone want to elaborate? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] The Benedictine nuns in town are contemplative, and they have large pockets, Sr.Benedicta seems to have an unending supply of seam rippers and pins in hers.

Edited for sppeling

Edited by Tridenteen

I carry:

rosary (can't bear to be without it!)
Medal of St. Bernadette
Medal of St. Anne
Medal of St. Mary Magdalene
Sacred Heart of Jesus prayer coin
tissue
wallet (driver's license, insurance card, picture of my father, various business cards...)
cell phone (people have to be able to page me anywhere on campus)
keys to everything
small bottle of meds I have to take (which is another reason to carry the cell phone, as it has an alarm reminder)
One folded sheet of paper in case I have to write something
guitar pick

Funny thing someone should mention airport security. I have to fly [size="2"][size="5"][size="2"]two or three times a year[font="Segoe UI"][size="1"][font="Segoe UI"][size="1"][font="Verdana"], [size="2"][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/annoyed.gif[/img][size="2"]and I always get pulled aside and patted down. They tell me it's because of my "loose clothing." Does this happen everyone else?[/size] [/size][/font]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size]

No, it does not happen to me. But I can tell you were it came from. There were 2 Chechen women who wore suicide belts and blew up 2 Russian aircraft in air. They got through security but concealing the belts under loose clothing.