An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='03 March 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1267666131' post='2066227']
JMJ
Ok, so this is my dream habit. Just imagine the cloak and scapular and veil purple for penance, JMJ embroidered on the front of the cape, to symbolize the years of prayer and contemplation Christ spent with his parents. A 15 decade wooden (in honor of the Cross) rosary (Our Lady's Sword) hanging from a white cord wound around the waist twice (for the dual natures if Christ, God and Man ) the wimple and cape are connected and loose, think Carmelite, and the headress in the picture is smaller in dimension, and for the teaching sisters. The nursing Sisters wear Benedictines of Mary headresses, and the contemplative wear a smaler version of that frilly bonnet from the Sisters of Providence. They all wear sandals. The different headress is for each congregation.
Charitian Sisters of Saint Peter (CSSP)
Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Ransom-Contemplative
Sisters of Our Lady of Good Succor-Nursing
Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Good Counsel-Teaching

When the sisters would be novices, they wear all white, excepting cloak, and they all wear the Saint Bernadette of Lourdes guimpe, then when they choose which congregaiton to enter, make 1st profession, and recieve puple veil, scapular, and head wear :-) Oh, the postulants would wear the Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton garb.

My friends and I get together periodically sketch out habits for fun, and imagine what the sisters who would wear them do....that's what happens when you make paper nun dolls for your little sisters, you get creative!

Tridenteen
Why is this all in the quote box?
[/quote]

I have no idea why all that was in the quote box. :lol:

Anyhoo -- first off, I must say I LOVE the names you gave to each branch!!! Beautiful and oh-so-appropriate! :twothumbsup:

Secondly, I [i]heart[/i] the symbolism in your ideal habit. Just beautiful!!! I think my favorite bit you described is the twice-wrapped cord around the waist! Hypostatic union -- represent!!!

And I'm all in favor of cape-wearing Postulants. :yes: Though I'd totally want the veil instead of a bonnet. ;)

Like this:

[img]http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/News/Images_NEWS/Margarita%20Past/source/image/03._entered_as_a__postulant____1st_august_1957_(photo_taken_september).jpg[/img]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='03 March 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1267668830' post='2066251']
No. *I* had to wear it as a postulant!!! :weep:

I think they eventually ran out, because aren't the postulants now in blue?
[/quote]

:console:

That certainly adds to the "humility bank" in heaven, right? :saint:

The postulants now look very much like the DSMME postulants, except the SVs have longer, slightly fuller skirts. (I'd totally want a skirt like that one to wear in postulancy over the shorter ones the DSMME wear. :hehe: ) Oooh, and the SV postulants wear turtlenecks instead of white dress shirts. :twothumbsup:

So... white turtle neck, navy blue skirt and vest. :D

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 March 2010 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1267669102' post='2066256']
:console:

That certainly adds to the "humility bank" in heaven, right? :saint:

The postulants now look very much like the DSMME postulants, except the SVs have longer, slightly fuller skirts. (I'd totally want a skirt like that one to wear in postulancy over the shorter ones the DSMME wear. :hehe: ) Oooh, and the SV postulants wear turtlenecks instead of white dress shirts. :twothumbsup:

So... white turtle neck, navy blue skirt and vest. :D
[/quote]

I guess the saying is true: Things get better with age/time. Including patterns for postulants. LOL

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 March 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1267668907' post='2066253']
I have no idea why all that was in the quote box. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]

Anyhoo -- first off, I must say I LOVE the names you gave to each branch!!! Beautiful and oh-so-appropriate! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/twothumbsup.gif[/img]

Secondly, I [i]heart[/i] the symbolism in your ideal habit. Just beautiful!!! I think my favorite bit you described is the twice-wrapped cord around the waist! Hypostatic union -- represent!!!

And I'm all in favor of cape-wearing Postulants. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_yes.gif[/img] Though I'd totally want the veil instead of a bonnet. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

Like this:

[img]http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/News/Images_NEWS/Margarita%20Past/source/image/03._entered_as_a__postulant____1st_august_1957_(photo_taken_september).jpg[/img]
[/quote]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='03 March 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1267669381' post='2066262']
I guess the saying is true: Things get better with age/time. Including patterns for postulants. LOL
[/quote]

I felt like a Mormon in my postulant habit (no offense meant to any Mormons, honest!) :blush: White button-down dress shirt + long dark grey skirt.

Usually we wore our hair in braids for church and that made me feel somewhat "old school" Pentecostal, especially if one had longer hair. :sweat:

BarbTherese

The first habit I ever 'fell in love with' was the Carmelite pre V2 habit (unmodified) and I don't think I could in any way improve on it no matter how I stretch what is usually a very vivid imagination.

Blessings this Lent - Barb

I agree that Postulants should wear a cape and a veil, otherwise how would you know who or what they are?

Takes me back so many years to when I entered. We had the black dress, cape, white collar and a black veil edged around the front with white piping. We, IMHO looked like who we were - postulants. Nowdays I'm afraid to say, some of the postulants wear what I can only describe as a school uniform. Back then, many many moons ago, the girls in the Juniorate of the Order that I entered, wore a similar "uniform" - blue longer length skirt, white longsleeved shirt and a blue vest, with a Medal of St Joseph on a chain around the neck. Everytime I see the DSMME postulants they remind me of our "Juniors". It was the unspoken aim of every "Junior" to exchange their blue uniform for the black cape and veil of the postulant, and everytime one or more of the ex Juniors entered and appeared for the first time clad in the postulants' "habit", the girls were given a special recreation to talk to the new postulant, and the remarks were always the same "Sister, you look beautiful'.

If I were to design a Habit, I would keep the postulants black dress, veil and cape. For the Novices, keeping the same dress and cape as that worn by the postulant, but adding a white veil edged with black, with a Rosary around the waist. For the Professed Sisters, keeping on the same theme and design as before, but removing the cape, add a black Scapular edged in white, a white cap underneath a mid length black veil.

[quote name='MarieLynn' date='03 March 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1267671869' post='2066293']
I agree that Postulants should wear a cape and a veil, otherwise how would you know who or what they are?

[/quote]

You can get an AMEN!! :twothumbsup:

maybe like this
[img]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/LisaPizza16/Tilly/meg2061.jpg[/img]

Except it would have a black from top to toe cape like the dominicans and the weil would be black and further to the front.

A big rosary with dark wooden beads on the side and a dark leather belt

Edited by Hilde

My novice habit would look like this and the habit of the fully professed is in the back :saint::))
[img]http://www.miamiarchdiocese.org/Atimo_s/news/_vows0018.jpg[/img]

OnlySunshine

I love this question!

I would very much love to create a habit that symbolizes Our Lady Immaculate. That is my favorite representation of Our Blessed Mother. :love:

The postulant outfit would include:

-White lace chapel veil
-White button down long sleeve shirt
-Navy blue ankle-length jumper
-Navy blue chapel cape
-Navy blue or black sandals
-Miraculous Medal on a blue ribbon around neck

The novice and professed habit would look like the Carmelite habit, only instead of brown, the tunic and scapular would be navy blue. All habited religious would wear the wimple and a long, pinned veil (white for novices and black for professed). There would be a white rope cincture belt with 4 knots symbolizing chastity, poverty, obedience, and consecration to Our Blessed Mother (also, the order would be Franciscan in design). Hanging from the cincture would be a wooden rosary with a blessed Miraculous Medal (like the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal). Religious would wear sandals. I would keep the cream colored cape like the Carmelites. ;)

His Child, thanks for all that interesting info, and for confirming for me that the original habit for the Sisters of Life was a beige abomination that I remembered seeing and thought I must have imagined or mistaken.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='04 March 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1267683815' post='2066369']
His Child, thanks for all that interesting info, and for confirming for me that the original habit for the Sisters of Life was a beige abomination that I remembered seeing and thought I must have imagined or mistaken.
[/quote]

I love your description!!! -- "a beige abomination"! :twothumbsup: :lol:

That just made my morning! :clap:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='04 March 2010 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1267683815' post='2066369']
[/quote]

:hehe: