An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 March 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1267661202' post='2066214']
:D

3) You bring up another good question about wearing the Brown Scapular, too. :think: Hmmm... I guess I'd want to wear it because of the promises attached to it -- for Our Lady's added protection. However, that makes me wonder if all scapulars regardless of color have that same promise of protection... :idontknow: The Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate wear the Brown Scapular and Rosary under their habits, though they do not have a scapular as part of their exterior habit. All the SSVMs wear one, too, though it's not required. And I think my Sister of Life novice friend told me that all them wear one, too.

Now I'm really curious! :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, the Sisters of Life have that blue scapular as part of their habit, but AFAIK it goes along with the quoted suggestions of Cardinal O'Connor. On the other hand, the white Dominican scapular and Carmelite Brown Scapular are, according to tradition, direct gifts of Our Lady to the orders. They each came after they already had some sort of habit--the Carmelites had the brown tunic I think, and the white mantle symbolizing Elijah's; the (male) Dominicans had a linen surplice then because St Dominic was a canon and that's what they wore. Or maybe they were done w/the surplice and just had white wool tunics. Anyhow since the FI's don't have this kind of gift-of-heaven scapular, nor any included in the habit, it makes sense for them to wear the small Brown Scapular if desired (like any Catholic). For the others (Srs of Life, SSVM) I guess even though they have one in the habit it's not the same kind of 'special' one as the Carmelites and Dominicans so that's how they can wear two...

DameAgnes

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='01 May 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1272722673' post='2103124']
Yeah, the Sisters of Life have that blue scapular as part of their habit, but AFAIK it goes along with the quoted suggestions of Cardinal O'Connor. On the other hand, the white Dominican scapular and Carmelite Brown Scapular are, according to tradition, direct gifts of Our Lady to the orders. They each came after they already had some sort of habit--the Carmelites had the brown tunic I think, and the white mantle symbolizing Elijah's; the (male) Dominicans had a linen surplice then because St Dominic was a canon and that's what they wore. Or maybe they were done w/the surplice and just had white wool tunics. Anyhow since the FI's don't have this kind of gift-of-heaven scapular, nor any included in the habit, it makes sense for them to wear the small Brown Scapular if desired (like any Catholic). For the others (Srs of Life, SSVM) I guess even though they have one in the habit it's not the same kind of 'special' one as the Carmelites and Dominicans so that's how they can wear two...
[/quote]

A dominican nun once told me that when she took the habit, she no longer wore the brown scapular, since the dominican scapular carried with it the same graces, etc.

There's a photograph on the EWTN site of a sister with a pale pink veil which was nice. But not sure which order she is in.

Sorry I can't find it now. but I didn't imagine it! I'll look again tomorrow as it's quite late here. (UK)_ It might have been on the radio website. It was a few weeks ago.

Tridenteen

JMJ
It's dinner time here, so I should scoot. But, I do hope you find it....I am intrigued. By the way, this is a real long shot, do you know a Fr.Philip Defreitas?

[quote name='alrichey53091' date='03 March 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1267645441' post='2066085']
If I were to design a habit it would look similar to these sisters...

http://www.capuchinsisters.com/

:D
[/quote]

I saw these habits when I was really searching different communities and really like it. I would have the scapular though, and I would make it a deeper shade of brown, representing the brown wood of the cross. I love the idea of the four knotted rope and really wish my community still wore it. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I'll go where ever God wants be regardless of how beautiful my wedding dress will be.

Of course, the pre V2 Carmelite habit will always be my fav. But alas! I'm not called to the cloister. :( But I'm just happy that I have a calling in the first place! Regardless of where He puts me. :)

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='01 May 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1272756602' post='2103337']
JMJ
It's dinner time here, so I should scoot. But, I do hope you find it....I am intrigued. By the way, this is a real long shot, do you know a Fr.Philip Defreitas?
[/quote]

No I'm sorry I don't know him. I'll have another go at finding that photo.

CatherineM

Lots of talk about color and design, but what about fabric? Would you go with all naturals like wool or would you go space age moisture wicking? I think supplex would make a really neat habit.

alrichey53091

[quote name='JTheresa' date='02 May 2010 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1272774718' post='2103497']
I saw these habits when I was really searching different communities and really like it. I would have the scapular though, and I would make it a deeper shade of brown, representing the brown wood of the cross. I love the idea of the four knotted rope and really wish my community still wore it. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I'll go where ever God wants be regardless of how beautiful my wedding dress will be.

Of course, the pre V2 Carmelite habit will always be my fav. But alas! I'm not called to the cloister. :( But I'm just happy that I have a calling in the first place! Regardless of where He puts me. :)
[/quote]

Maybe our community will go back to the old habit!!! :) It would be PERFECT!! :D

When I was in Israel, I saw many habited sisters and a wide variety of habits. It was very, very hot when I was there and I wondered about how hot the sisters were. But then I saw one sister in a full habit. She looked so cool and comfortable. As I got closer I saw that the fabric was very light weight, a sort of crinkle material. It just sort of floated and looked so very comfortable.

linnie

Laudate_Dominum

I want a man burqa.

[img]http://halloweencostumes.costumestore.com/106802_01_Lg.jpg[/img]

[quote name='alrichey53091' date='02 May 2010 - 07:51 AM' timestamp='1272826297' post='2103682']
Maybe our community will go back to the old habit!!! :) It would be PERFECT!! :D
[/quote]
OMGosh I would be sooooooo excited!!!!! Maybe we can push for it once we're on the council lol. :)
that would be soo cool?

Mght I ask which old habits you are speaking of?

[quote name='GraceUk' date='01 May 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1272750539' post='2103286']
There's a photograph on the EWTN site of a sister with a pale pink veil which was nice. But not sure which order she is in.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.imqohm.com/Media.html"]These sisters[/url] don't have a pink veil, but a pink habit.

[quote name='GraceUk' date='01 May 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1272750539' post='2103286']
[/quote]

There are red veiled nuns [url="http://www.misericordiadei.pl/pag.01.html"]here[/url]. They are polish and seem to have some link with Sr. Faustina.

[img]http://goscniedzielny.wiara.pl/grafika/2009/07/29/1248847108/1248847679.jpg[/img]

Edited by Lumiere