Ziggamafu Posted March 9, 2010 Author Posted March 9, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Hassan' date='08 March 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1268089781' post='2069147'] How does this follow into a general fact about the female anatomy as a whole? It does not follow logically to deduce some holistic, general feature of the female anatomy from some feature of one aspect of the female anatomy. Moving from (Ex) to (x) usually does not work in logic. [/quote] Why is it that God reveals himself in masculine terms and reveals the identity of His People in feminine terms? When we consider that... 1. Masculinity and femininity in created bodies stems from male and female sexuality 2. Male sexuality is ordered toward being active, invasive, and giving in the sex act 3. Female sexuality is ordered toward being passive, submissive, and receiving in the sex act ...it seems reasonable to conclude that the answer to the question is that God created male and female sexualities (created masculinity and created femininity) to signify his own "marital" relationship to the Church. This makes sense, as it is already largely agreed upon (in Catholicism) that God is [i]active [/i](pure act, in fact), [i]invasive [/i](an omnipresence of total domination and pure penetration, in fact), and [i]giving [/i](pure giving, in fact); although we can in certain ways refer to God as being passive, submissive, and receiving, we certainly could not (for example) say that God is "pure passivity" like we can that God is "pure act". In other words, God is infinitely more masculine than created masculinity. It also makes sense of why God creates man first and only then produces woman from the preexisting man; it echoes the fact that feminine Creation came from the preexisting, masculine God. It explains why Christ had to be a man, and couldn't have come as a woman in even a female-dominant society - it would disrupt the sign of God's distinction from Creation. I am not addressing women on some kind of universal or all-encompassing level. [b]I am addressing the distinguishing features of the sexes and how these distinguishing features physically parallel the metaphysical distinguishing features between God and Creation, Christ and Church.[/b] I see in this parallel the answer to how we understand that God is eternally masculine (his "perfection of femininity" being, in whatever sense it may be said to exist, in any case secondary to his masculinity) and why we may only properly refer to God in masculine terms (any sense in which God may be said to be feminine is just that: a sense, like a man being called "motherly"). There should be no question that God is masculine. He is not bound by the times, nor does it seem that he cares about cultural sensitivities (women are the first witnesses of the resurrection, for instance). God reveals that He is a "He", therefore He is a He. I am providing a reflection, based on what he see in His deliberate Creation, on why this is so and how we understand, by created signs, that it is so. Edited March 9, 2010 by Ziggamafu
BarbTherese Posted March 9, 2010 Posted March 9, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 March 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1268085803' post='2069078'] The Trinity is a reflection of sexual love? [/quote] God created sexuality and it is holy - although perhaps I should have stated that sexual love can reflect The Trinity admittedly in a very pale pale manner. There is some similarity where there is absolutely no similarity at all. How's that for a paradox.... Blessings - Barb
BarbTherese Posted March 9, 2010 Posted March 9, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='09 March 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1268088933' post='2069129'] Negative. [spoiler]But from a certain point of view sexual love (and all forms of authentic love) reflects the Trinity.[/spoiler] [/quote] Wow! I wish I knew how you did that "Show" thingy icon!!! The Trinity is Love - God is Love............hence all forms of authentic love reflect The Trinity. Hey! Thanks for that! .........and if you could add to it all by sharing how you do that "Show" thingy thing icon my day would be totally complete methinks! Barb I gave up smoking a couple of years ago, but still dearly miss em though my pocket and health are happier. Edited March 9, 2010 by BarbaraTherese
Veridicus Posted March 9, 2010 Posted March 9, 2010 (edited) [quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='08 March 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1268102008' post='2069296'] Wow! I wish I knew how you did that "Show" thingy icon!!! [/quote] [spoiler] Yes one more.... [spoiler] The show-thingy I have down...use "(spoiler)[i]type your stuff here[/i](/spoiler)" except replace the parentheses with brackets. [spoiler] ...its that darn billy bass approves this message thingy that I haven't figured out.... [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/FultonSheenSeesWhatYouDidThere.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/Picardsawwhatyoudid-1.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/nou.gif[/IMG] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] Edited March 9, 2010 by Veridicus
BarbTherese Posted March 9, 2010 Posted March 9, 2010 [quote name='Veridicus' date='09 March 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1268102942' post='2069316'] [spoiler] Yes one more.... [spoiler] The show-thingy I have down...use "(spoiler)[i]type your stuff here[/i](/spoiler)" except replace the parentheses with brackets. [spoiler] ...its that darn billy bass approves this message thingy that I haven't figured out.... [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/FultonSheenSeesWhatYouDidThere.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/Picardsawwhatyoudid-1.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/nou.gif[/IMG] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/quote] Gee thanks for all that - does it work on all boards? I guess there is a way to find out it occurs to me. Thanks again! [spoiler]Thank you![/spoiler] [spoiler]Wow! Am I a happy chappy!!![/spoiler] [spoiler]Thanks again! although parentheses and brackets had me stumped for a while - so I clicked onto me onlyne dishonarie.....then I figured out I needed in the final spoiler to type an oblique or forward slash, to me it is a backward slash!!! in the final spoiler. I'ma pre v2-er yer kno!!! [/spoiler]
BarbTherese Posted March 9, 2010 Posted March 9, 2010 [quote name='Veridicus' date='09 March 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1268102942' post='2069316'] [spoiler] Yes one more.... [spoiler] The show-thingy I have down...use "(spoiler)[i]type your stuff here[/i](/spoiler)" except replace the parentheses with brackets. [spoiler] ...its that darn billy bass approves this message thingy that I haven't figured out.... [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/FultonSheenSeesWhatYouDidThere.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/Picardsawwhatyoudid-1.jpg[/IMG] [spoiler] [IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Funnies/nou.gif[/IMG] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/spoiler] [/quote] [spoiler]Thanks heaps! With the headache that I got from figuring out "Show" - I think I just might leave "Hide" for a while until these headache pills click in. I never get the billy bass message approval thingy on my posts - so I will give that a miss. And trying to figure out photobucket near on gave moi case of total and absoloote despare way years ago - gave up on that totally. I had a nickname (had a couple akchully while I was working)......... "the dumb broad" [/spoiler] Genuinely - thank you very much! - Barb
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='08 March 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1268105538' post='2069347'] [spoiler]Thanks heaps! With the headache that I got from figuring out "Show" - I think I just might leave "Hide" for a while until these headache pills click in. I never get the billy bass message approval thingy on my posts - so I will give that a miss. And trying to figure out photobucket near on gave moi case of total and absoloote despare way years ago - gave up on that totally. I had a nickname (had a couple akchully while I was working)......... "the dumb broad" [/spoiler] Genuinely - thank you very much! - Barb [/quote] Oh, I see Verdicus explained it. Awesome. I am notorious for my overuse of the spoiler tag, but I love it. haha.
Nihil Obstat Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='15 March 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1268682148' post='2073585'] Oh, I see Verdicus explained it. Awesome. I am notorious for my overuse of the spoiler tag, but I love it. haha. [/quote] [spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]Lol.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
TradMom Posted March 16, 2010 Posted March 16, 2010 +Praised be Jesus Christ! Dear Raphael, You write beautifully and clearly. I hope you are a teacher. (?) This piece below is particularly well done. Pax, TradMom [i]God has revealed Himself as a Father and so it is inappropriate to cast aside the image with which He wants us to think of Him. However, if you mean "although God is intangible spirit and lacks a physical body, it is hugely important to insist on His masculinity" to the exclusion of the femininity, then that is misguided. God is, in fact, neither masculine nor feminine, rather, masculinity and femininity are both images of the divine. If either of these traits cannot be seen in a perfect way in God, then it does not come from God. All creation images God, the Author who designed according to His own nature in the image of His own nature. [/i]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now