An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations And Spiritual Warfare

Saint Therese

Sister Marie

If I may, maybe this thread could be a place where we could share what helps us to resist temptation and grow in love with the Lord. In my own personal life what helps me is to have good spiritual friends, the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I am reminded of one of St. Ignatius' rules that when experiencing desolation or temptation you must bring it into the light by seeking direction from some other holy person. Unfortunately I have not had a spiritual director for quite a few months because of moving to different missions. Something that helps though is journaling. It definitely does not take the place of direction but it helps until I can find a director. What are some of the things that help you stay close to the Lord? I know I can always learn more from all of you!

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='07 March 2010 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1267988856' post='2068112']
I'd like to address this topic since I've not seen it on this phorum before. I think we, as discerners, sometimes fall into the trap of seeing the religious life or priesthood through rose colored glasses. But I think the truth is that priests and religious are in constant spiritual warfare. The war is raging all around us, and they are fighting on God's side. So its only logical that they themselves and those discerning will face trials and attacks. For me personally, this has been an occasion of drawing closer to the Heart of Jesus and to Mary.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, etc to share about this.
God bless you.
[/quote]

I'm no longer in religious life, but you bring up a very good point. I "knew" that religious life wasn't going to be a path of roses, but the particular spiritual demands in religious life are very different than those experienced by laypeople. An example is the fact that many people don't realize the difficulties that living with other people can pose -- this is a LARGE aspect of living in community. God has brought you all together -- and many of these Sisters are people you never would have chosen to be friends with in the world, for various reasons. Some people might rub you the wrong way, some Sisters may say things that shock you as uncharitable and unbecoming as a religious, and yet this is all part of religious life. (Read "My Sister St. Therese" ... St. Therese put up with A LOT of this as a nun, and I would recommend that book to ANYONE who is discerning religious life, literally. You can purchase it from TAN Books.)

I think that adds to the "spiritual warfare." Of course we all know about temptations -- Sisters sometimes wish they could see their families more often, or temptations to have a family of their own, or the things they might miss out on in the world ... but very few discerners realize the "spiritual warfare" and the call to perfect charity WITHIN community; the charity that should be given to the other members of community especially when it's difficult. Because I assure you, even amongst the most charitable of communities, there are times when it will be VERY difficult!

While religious are all called to perfect charity and to Sainthood, (just like EVERYONE is!) ... they are still on the way, and I think that throws many new Sisters for a loop.

Edited by CherieMadame

AccountDeleted

This past weekend the gospel reading at the Latin Mass was about Jesus casting out demons and being accused of doing it in the name of Beezlebub. Then the homily was about how people don't believe in demons or Satan anymore, but how he is definitely a being, a fallen angel. Father went on to say that we need to remember he is real, but we also need to remember that he is only a creation of God, as we are, and that his powers are nothing compared with God.

Satan's hatred towards God and mankind reveals itself in temptations and evil acts. Temptation is allowed by God to strengthen us and increase our faith, but the devil's power is limited to what God allows. Our weapons are faith and trust in His love always, knowing that He only wants what is good for our souls.

The Rosary is one of the most powerful prayers against Satan because he hates Our Lady and fears her intercession. IT is a good idea to say the prayer to St. Michael morning and night, and to pray regularly to one's guardian angel. The other things mentioned abouve are Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, daily Mass if possible, and regular prayers like the Office or other personal devotions.

St Ignatius also tells us that when we are hit with desolation or an evil spirit, we should continue to do whatever is was that we had planned to do regarding our spiritual life before the attack started. For example, if we had planned to go to Mass (or pray, or anything else of a spiritual nature) but then feel some kind of attack, we should not change our plans, but continue to do that thing we had planned. This way the spirits will not be able to gain influence over our actions through our thoughts and emotions.

Prayer, prayer, prayer, at all times. In our weakness, Christ's power is made strong. When in doubt, pray :pray:.

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='07 March 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1268010325' post='2068423']
I'm no longer in religious life, but you bring up a very good point. I "knew" that religious life wasn't going to be a path of roses, but the particular spiritual demands in religious life are very different than those experienced by laypeople. An example is the fact that many people don't realize the difficulties that living with other people can pose -- this is a LARGE aspect of living in community. God has brought you all together -- and many of these Sisters are people you never would have chosen to be friends with in the world, for various reasons. Some people might rub you the wrong way, some Sisters may say things that shock you as uncharitable and unbecoming as a religious, and yet this is all part of religious life. (Read "My Sister St. Therese" ... St. Therese put up with A LOT of this as a nun, and I would recommend that book to ANYONE who is discerning religious life, literally. You can purchase it from TAN Books.)

I think that adds to the "spiritual warfare." Of course we all know about temptations -- Sisters sometimes wish they could see their families more often, or temptations to have a family of their own, or the things they might miss out on in the world ... but very few discerners realize the "spiritual warfare" and the call to perfect charity WITHIN community; the charity that should be given to the other members of community especially when it's difficult. Because I assure you, even amongst the most charitable of communities, there are times when it will be VERY difficult!

While religious are all called to perfect charity and to Sainthood, (just like EVERYONE is!) ... they are still on the way, and I think that throws many new Sisters for a loop.
[/quote]

Very well said! Thank you!

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='07 March 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1268009683' post='2068414']
If I may, maybe this thread could be a place where we could share what helps us to resist temptation and grow in love with the Lord. In my own personal life what helps me is to have good spiritual friends, the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I am reminded of one of St. Ignatius' rules that when experiencing desolation or temptation you must bring it into the light by seeking direction from some other holy person. Unfortunately I have not had a spiritual director for quite a few months because of moving to different missions. Something that helps though is journaling. It definitely does not take the place of direction but it helps until I can find a director. What are some of the things that help you stay close to the Lord? I know I can always learn more from all of you!
[/quote]

I was recently reminded of St. Ignatius' rules for discernment. These are important to keep in the back of your mind always.

What has helped me in the past is to have a couple of close spiritual friends on whom I can depend on for prayers. My spiritual director is key ... and yes it is quite difficult to get a good one at times. I spent 3-4 years looking for a new one (I was able to contact an old spiritual director during that time ... but its not the same without the possibility of meeting face to face).

I encourage you to continue looking for a s.d.; my current s.d. has been key in helping me grow (and face temptations/trials/crisis/etc).

One other thing ... time before the Blessed Sacrament in adoration is very important in times of trial. And when things are getting very bad I ask Our Lady to place me under her Mantle of protection and care. A prayer to St. Michael always helps too.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='07 March 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1268011389' post='2068435']
I was recently reminded of St. Ignatius' rules for discernment. These are important to keep in the back of your mind always.

What has helped me in the past is to have a couple of close spiritual friends on whom I can depend on for prayers. My spiritual director is key ... and yes it is quite difficult to get a good one at times. I spent 3-4 years looking for a new one (I was able to contact an old spiritual director during that time ... but its not the same without the possibility of meeting face to face).

I encourage you to continue looking for a s.d.; my current s.d. has been key in helping me grow (and face temptations/trials/crisis/etc).

One other thing ... time before the Blessed Sacrament in adoration is very important in times of trial. And when things are getting very bad I ask Our Lady to place me under her Mantle of protection and care. A prayer to St. Michael always helps too.
[/quote]

Spiritual friendship is to me a huge help but also The divine mercy chaplet as well as the prayer to St Michael have been immensely helpful and then when the battle gets too hot... Hiding under the Mantle of Our lady's protection, for she will do battle for her little ones... she who crushed the serpents head. Ave Maria!

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

Sister Marie

Isn't it wonderful that we can count on our Mother to take care of us! I usually begin my Holy Hour before Lauds with the Rosary and I end my day with the Rosary which I keep under my pillow in my room. Frequently, I fall asleep praying my second Rosary. I love the tradition that says our guardian angel finishes the Rosary for us. I asked my angel what his name was and he told me Sebastian. Well, Sebastian certainly has finished a lot of Rosaries for me.

A lot of the sisters in my community keep a rosary under their pillow to pray at night if they cannot sleep or before they fall asleep. That nighttime practice has always meant a lot to me.

God Bless!

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='07 March 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1268006530' post='2068374']
Thank you vee-8 I was not sure because Mother took many of her sayings from the carmelite saints especially Therese. Mother had a very deep love for Carmel. I stand corrected.:P
[/quote]

Whats a Carmelite?:unsure: :whistle: Actually I wondered that six months ago and didnt google it so half your saints came along and did this :getaclue: oops :sweat:

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='07 March 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1268009683' post='2068414']
[/quote]

Prayers that you find a good, holy director.
Things that help me resist temptation hmmm. Holy water and other sacramentals definitely help plus lots of prayer and some penances. I didnt realize how important such a thing as holy water was until the swine flu scare which resulted in my parish getting rid of it and they still havent put it back either :( Since then Ive had my own supply like I should have had in the first place. Things that help me grow in love with the Lord are the Rosary and chaplet of Divine Mercy. Confession for both answers.

I had never heard of the tradition that our guardian angel finishes the rosary for us if we fall asleep ... I like that!

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='vee8' date='07 March 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1268017118' post='2068524']
Whats a Carmelite?:unsure: :whistle: Actually I wondered that six months ago and didnt google it so half your saints came along and did this :getaclue: oops :sweat:
[/quote]
Laughing... you are sooooo bad! :blowkiss:

Saint Therese

[quote name='nunsense' date='07 March 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1268010497' post='2068427']
The Rosary is one of the most powerful prayers against Satan because he hates Our Lady and fears her intercession.
[/quote]

Amen! Padre Pio said the Rosary is "THE weapon".

I think part of any serious discerner's life is being spiritually "on your guard", that is not placing oneself in places or situations,etc where you know you can be tempted. Also, I think being aware of how media that you use can effect you and be an occasion of sin-movies, tv, internet,etc.

Also, I intended this thread to include not only the "ordinary" types of spiritual warfare, but the more"extraordinary" types as well..

Edited by Saint Therese

brightsadness

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='07 March 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1268009683' post='2068414']
[/quote]

I use a prayer rope and pray the Jesus prayer. It helps me keep His name in my heart. Praying you find a good SD.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='08 March 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1268071116' post='2068888']

Also, I intended this thread to include not only the "ordinary" types of spiritual warfare, but the more"extraordinary" types as well..
[/quote]

I think I know what you`re getting at, for example hearing and seeing things, but am not quite sure if thats what you mean. If so I havent experienced anything like that thank you God but have heard about people who have. For example people who were involved in any form of occult practices, in particular people who were heavily involved had a very hard time getting rid of the items associated with that.

Edited by vee8

Saint Therese

[quote name='vee8' date='08 March 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1268092256' post='2069163']
I think I know what you`re getting at, for example hearing and seeing things, but am not quite sure if thats what you mean. If so I havent experienced anything like that thank you God but have heard about people who have. For example people who were involved in any form of occult practices, in particular people who were heavily involved had a very hard time getting rid of the items associated with that.
[/quote]

That's not exactly what I had in mind, though you are correct in saying people who have been involved with the occult often have severe negative repercussions. I was thinking more along the lines of 'harrassment' and attacks.

Edited by Saint Therese