An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations And Spiritual Warfare

Saint Therese

I tend to feel attacked, by doubt for one, every time I phone my spiritual director to arrange a meeting, and then every time I go to see him. It is comparable to the thoughts and feelings anyone might feel before going to confession for example but despite the attacks I go to both things anyway. It can be a real struggle but prayer and especially prayers and songs of praise help me.

• 2 weeks later...

The homily by Fr Wade Menezes on ewtn for today Saturday March 20, available on itunes and on their website ewtn.com, contains good advice on spiritual warfare. His main focus was on the last two weeks of Lent but the tips can be used year round of course. Here is my summary of the seven points he mentions.

Seven steps for spiritual warfare especially for the last two weeks of Lent.
-Fix your eyes on Jesus- say His name often through the day
-Praise the Lord especially at mass.
-Repent with a humble and contrite heart and go to confession
-Wield the sword of the spirit the word of God in lectio divina even five minutes a day.
-Attack the evil one through prayer and fasting. No bread and water unless directed by a spiritual director.
-Surround yourself with Christian community to avoid being isolated in spiritual warfare -mass, friends, sacraments, sacramentals.
-Rejoice in the Lord always